What's new

What's your favourite DE razor and why?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Simple question what is your favourite DE razor and why? Pictures appreciated.
IMG_20230711_112208.jpg

This will come as a surprise to no-one when they hear my favourite is the Muhle Rocca R94. It is well engineered, it feels solid, a quality piece of kit. The handle is comfortable and surprisingly grippy, I am not a fan of heavy knurling which can be uncomfortable. It isn't a Prima Donna when it comes to blades either, stick anything in it (except a Voskhod) and you'll get a good shave. It is very capable of delivering a BBS. The lack of lather channels means that if you run it under the tap the water shoots out both sides. I have come to realise I may never find a razor that works better than this for me
If all that wasn't enough you can get a matching brush (which I have) and a stand (which I want)

So what's your favourite razor?

One man's meat is another man's poison.

The phrase, which was first written by the Roman poet Lucretius, was appropriated to refer to any situation where two people disagree over something. The 20th-century literary wit George S. Kauffman's most celebrated pun was “One man's Mede is another man's Persian.”

I just suggest the old...to start.. just have fun and narrow them down...buy and try....or you will never know why...and never cry...

For me, it's the Fatip Grande. I have it in both gold and nickel plating. The Nickel is my daily driver, but only because I didn't want to wear away the gold plating on the other one.

I've tried a handful of other razors and while most of them provided really good shaves, the Fatip OC head has provided me with the beat shaves. I also tried the Fatip Piccolo, but the handle was too short for me and caused hand cramping. I liked the Fatip Gentile, but found it a little too mild.

While there's a world of razors out there for me to try, I'm more than satisfied with the Fatip Grande. It's aggressive enough, maneuverable, inexpensive, and solidly built (I've dropped the handle a number of times when screwing it back on the head). With most blades I've tried in it, I've been able to achieve a BBS with little to no irritation (when applying a alum block or aftershave postshave). I have little to no interest in trying any other razors in hopes of finding a better one for me as it'd really be a matter of diminishing returns.

IMG_9339.jpeg

Last edited:
Tough call but I'll have to go with my 1953 (Y2) Gillette Super Speed.
For one thing, it was a gift to me from a wonderful forum member just prior to my 70th birthday. This is not only a birth year razor but from the same quarter of the year (April/May/June) that I was born.
Of course, none of that would mean anything if it didn't deliver a great shave. But it does every, single time. The TTO mechanism is flawless, it's pristine and just a great razor.

proxy.php

If I had to pick a modern razor that's my favorite, it would be my Rockwell 6C.

proxy.php

I've not tried any of the Karve razors. I started with a Wilkinson Sword Classic, then moved on to a Henson AL13+. The last stop was a Game Changer with a number of different plates and a few different handles. I've basically stopped looking at anything else since I found the .76P.

Vintage: Gillette pre-war Tech, cap and baseplate re-plated by me. 😁
Moodern: Stainless steel Timeless 68SCL.

Screenshot_20230824_145617_Gallery.jpg

Oops, forgot the "why?":

Because they are both very capable, smooth, mild razors that get me very near BBS in three passes, with little effort and no irritation, using just about any blade.

Last edited:
Any version of the R41 head, Z0, SS China 41, hybrid with PAA or Old top cap, any way from rare to well done, bring on the frankin razors, and long at it’s that beautiful bastard I love it. With that said, the first thing you do when you get her a Muhle is throw the handle in the Bayou and buy you a super Knurl.
IMG_1225.jpeg

My two Fatips are my favorite (regular and slant). If I had to pick one, it would be the slant, but both are great. Did I say like both?

- Made like vintage razors with nickel plated brass,​
- Look like vintage razors,​
- Made in NATO (Italy)​
- Reasonably priced around $30​
- most importantly, they shave really well for me with super comfortable and effective performance.​
IMG_7576.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom