What's new

What's the most overrated shaving cream?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I was disappointed with the Penhaligon's creams I got in form of samples from Handy. They lather nicely, but so do most of the other creams I have and have tried, the scent is just very, very weak.
And I didn't like Musgo real, my face was burning after I used it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Personally, I don't get thrilled with KMF creams. Nope. The lather is an odd combination of airy artificiality.

(I like the cooling of the mint, but not nearly enough to overcome the shortcomings of the cream itself.)

Coates shave creams

+1 on the Coates. I had 2 tubs -- lime & sandalwood. They were ok but that was about it. Sold 'em both.

Talk like that is going to put Coates out of business. :blink:

:huh: :confused: :mad: :cursing: :mad5: :incazzato: just kidding YMMV with any cream/soap

I can't really recall a cream that's been overrated. Soaps are another story...I'm sure they shave great and this isn't a popular thing to say but I found the scents of Pre de Provence and Tabac to be pretty offensive.

:huh: :confused: :mad: :cursing: :mad5: :incazzato: just kidding YMMV with any cream/soap

I can't really recall a cream that's been overrated. Soaps are another story...I'm sure they shave great and this isn't a popular thing to say but I found the scents of Pre de Provence and Tabac to be pretty offensive.

Scents are funny things. I love love love the scent of Tabac, and am pleased with PdP--it's quite comforting to me.

Anyone putting TOBS Avocado on this list, please send it my way!:biggrin:

So far the only cream I have tried that I took off the shelf was kiss my face. I also stopped using the Baxters as a SC, but have recently started using it a prep cream (although, since no one seems to use it at all, I would not call it overrated).

I'm not surprised to see folks listing Castle Forbes, it is different from most other shaving creams. I love the lather and love the scents of both my lavender and lime, though.

Talk like that is going to put Coates out of business. :blink:

Hee hee hee hee :biggrin1: :lol:

All I've ever used is Proraso, but I cannot see how something costing 6 or 7 times as much is going to be THAT much better. I would say a lot of this high-dollar stuff is overrated.

I was disappointed with Musgo. It worked okay, but not better than JM Fraser's or Speick or even KMF for me. I couldn't get over the smell. Many love it, but it reminded me of Desitin diaper cream! I traded it away for more Speick!:thumbup:

All I've ever used is Proraso, but I cannot see how something costing 6 or 7 times as much is going to be THAT much better. I would say a lot of this high-dollar stuff is overrated.

Though I wouldn't necessarily suggest spending $30 on something to see the difference, a TOBS cream (or even Musgo) really does seem to provide a nicer lather, not just scent. I like Proraso a lot, but out of all my creams it noticeably delivers an inferior shave compared to the others. Obviously, YMMV.

(SORRY! Got off-topic!)

I must be perverse or something but I've suddenly got a huge desire for a tub of CF Sandalwood! If they'd only dilute it to the consistency of an actual cream, and drop the price by about 30%, I'd buy it all the time.
As to over-rated products I don't know, but tho I feel they were top-notch blades, possibly The Swedes have been a tiny bit over-hyped.

I think all are overratted to some extent. I have tried many creams and soaps. I find all have things that I like and things that I don't.

I have yet to find one that is perfect for me.

Anything Castle Forbes. The stuff smells fantastic, don't get me wrong, but I can never get it to lather worth a darn.

Definitely YMMV. I love Castle Forbes Lime and use it almost to the exclusion of everthing else. It lathers very easily for me, has a great scent, and its thick, cushiony lather yields a very comfortable BBS shave. I've even now sold off my backup pucks of Tabac and MWF because I don't see myself using them as often. They simply don't yield the quality of shave that CF Lime does. Anyone that has CF they don't want PM me and we can work out a deal. :thumbup:

Coate's creams are overhyped, IMO. Seems to me that if you want a product to be a hit on the boards, the best thing to do is discontinue it... They shave nice, but they're no great shakes to me.
I personally don't think TOBS creams are amazing either. I know that the words "for the price" are always stuck after a positive description of their stuff, but there are a lot of cheaper creams that are equally as good if not better than their output.

Though I wouldn't necessarily suggest spending $30 on something to see the difference, a TOBS cream (or even Musgo) really does seem to provide a nicer lather, not just scent. I like Proraso a lot, but out of all my creams it noticeably delivers an inferior shave compared to the others. Obviously, YMMV.

(SORRY! Got off-topic!)

I'm not against trying better product. I could spend $20-$30 on something superior. Any more than that and I think the price difference surpasses the quality gap.

The only cream I feel fits this category is TOBS Avocado, simply because I've seen SO many posts talking about how it is people's favourite cream. For me, it isn't even in my top 3 creams from TOBS. I would easily put Mr Taylor, St James and Eton College above Avocado. I don't really care for the scent of the avocado and it doesn't provide me with as great a lather as people say--certainly no better than other TOBS creams.

Top Bottom