What's new

What's the least expensive kit you'd find pleasurable?

Wilkinson Sword Classic DE
Rapira Super Stainless blade(100)
Arko stick
Omega boar brush
Fonex after shave balm

My list is the cheapest equipment i could find and i satisfied with them in Turkey.
Total 12-15 $

Last edited:
I'm a newbie here. A reborn DE shaver — I only restarted less than a month ago after decades away from it. Below is my second DE Shaving Setup which is smaller than my first (of only a few weeks ago :blink:).

Although it's a downsize I'm definitely finding it enjoyable. (I've converted the costs from GBP to US$.)

$2nd-DE-Shave-Setup.jpg
Please excuse the fuzzy photo from my cell phone.

Tabac Shave Stick and Refill (eBay $8 shipped)
Kent Infinity synthetic Brush (Kent $14 shipped)
Gillette Super-109 Adjustable Razor (eBay $30 + $7.50 shipping [Bulgaria to UK])
10 Feather Blades (eBay $6 shipped)
Tabac After Shave 3.4oz (eBay $16 shipped)

Totalling $81.50 it's not the least expensive; but it's the cheapest I'm happy with (at the moment anyway). :w00t:

Semogue 1250 Boar ($12 from shaving.ie)
Provence Sante Green Tea Shaving Soap ($5.99 on sale from drugstore.com)
Mühle R89 ($30 from shaving.ie)
Gillette Silver Blue Blades ($16 for 100 when bought in bulk)
Thayer's Original Witch Hazel ($7.99 from Vitacost)

Razor: Gillette New type ($20 at an antique store - maybe less)
Blade: Lord Platinum
Soap: Proraso green ($8.50)
Cream; TOBS Eton College ($16.00)
Brush: Semogue 1305 boar ($24.00)
AS; Pinaud Clubman Original ($12.00)

Last edited:
I would say from what I found an enjoyable shave for me is using
A Gillette tech razor about ten dollars using a Gillette 7o'clock yellow blade about 1.25 for a tuck my synthetic brush with a sunrise knot total cost of knot and resin handle 14 dollars and amici soap and aftershave shave total cost 11 dollars for both all together comes out too 36 dollars cost of an enjoyable irritation free shave is priceless

Staying as cheap as can be and keeping me happy at the same time:

Arko stick, Lord Tech, S Brush and Gillette Sword's, followed by Skin Bracer.

1940's super speed
Fine Angel hair synthetic
Derby
Vdh deluxe soap (pink one)
Nivea sensitive asb

This is my most pleasurable, inexpensive set up that I own and have used multiple times. I'm sure some money can be saved on the brush like the Omega s-brush or some of the newer synthetics, but that's what I have. I had the vdh brush but I wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone

Razor: YUMA, under $5.
Blade: Any; Derby, Shark, Rapira, or Perma-Sharp would be typical.
Soap: Arko, lathered in any small cheap bowl.
Brush: Generic pure or silvertip from China, under $10.
AS: Arko AS cream, balm, or cologne.

I have actually traveled on the setup as listed above.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Do you find pleasure in doing things as cheaply as possible or just like shaving that much?

Both. :)

that is an extraordinRly inexpensive list.

Not extraordinary at all. I buy, sell and trade shaving stuff enough, to make it a goal of mine to always make sure the shave den, "breaks even". This way, I get the best of the two attributes that make this way of shaving so popular.

Great shaves with great gear, and the money savings it has to offer. If I buy a certain razor, brush or shaving product that isn't necessarily cheap, I always thin the den of a few things I came by cheap, by selling them or trading up, inorder to "break even". So financially, the size of the den stays the same and the cost of the den stays in the black.

I can put several combinations together of quality shaving kits that is just as inexpensive as the one I posted above. And yes, I get a certain amount of pleasure getting a great, quality shave, on the cheap. :)

The one I have: two razors, three brushes, six soaps (I indulge myself), three AS, four colognes. I buy blades in bulk to save money, so I have somewhere between 100 - 125.

Two '56 Flare Tip Super Speeds (consecutive quarters, $5 each).
Derby Extra Stainless blades (bought 1000 of them for around $70 so, 7cents each).
Plisson Synthetic that dries quickly enough for daily non-rotational use ($43). I have a Captain's Choice bowl, but could forego it and face lather with the synth.
Proraso Green or White, soap or cream ($9).
Proraso Green Aftershave Splash (bought the 400ml bottle to refill the little 100ml with 50/50 mix of Dickenson's Witch Hazel....so pennies a shave).
Cold water shaving so no money is spent to heat water.

Now that I've made this list and thought about it, I could probably clear everything else out of the den and just use this stuff. Or....not.

Reading through the responses something came to mind. Most have only listed one of each thing - would you change your answer if this is what you had to use everyday? I for one like a bit of variety - I could use the Cella for a long time but eventually I'd get bored with it and want something different.

This variation on the cheapest shaving set up I find interesting. The set I came up with is still very inexpensive and equals my more expensive set ups easily.

Razor: Gillette aluminum ball end Tech(here the cheap options would have been the Gillette Goal or the Wilkinson Sword Classic which work well for me but I do not find pleasurable to use) $5

Blade: Astra SS $0.10

Brush: Omega 10019 $4

Soap: Speick(cheap option would have been Arko which works a little bit less well for me and I dislike it's scent) $5

Nice to see that only two of the four product types I use I had to pay more money for to find pleasurable.

Lord 6 razor ($3.79 at Navarro's pharmacy chain in Miami); Derby blade; Arko stick; Nivea sensitive after shave.

I have 40 soaps, a very nice EJ89 razor and a nice Gillette Super Speed, a diverse collection of excellent blades, and various nice after shave balms, but I could be TOTALLY happy with the above cheapo setup.

Last edited:
Soap - Arko stick
Razor - Merkur 37c slant
Brush - Omega 10066 boar
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue
Alum
AS - Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Bob

This would be enjoyable to use

Razor: Gillette New $15
Brush: Whipped Dog Silvertip $35
Soap: Arko $2
Blades: Racer $8 per 100
Aftershave: Neutrogena After Shave Lotion $6

So I'm at $66 with most of it going toward the brush.

My cheapest that I'd enjoy
My $3 Gillette New long comb
A Derby Extra Blade
Arko Soap
and my $3 Beau Brummel Black Badger brush
all whipped up in y $0.49 soup mug from Goodwill and followed by
Gillette Aftershave balm for $2.29

Top Bottom