What's new

What's on your work bench right now?

Miniature screws/bolts from sr_manufacture on eBay. He is not listing any right now. I would ping him.

1707276784419.png

I just checked to see if you messaged me a little while ago and was surprised I hadn’t heard from you. Lol
Both razors look fantastic you nailed it with the scales Frank and your pinning is better than anything I could do! Cograts my friend!!

Thanks, Scott (@life2short1971)! Took me forever to become proficient at peening/pinning. After hearing guys talk about bending pins, I was too cautious and ended up with too small heads. Once I started to hit the pin harder and figured out how to get the hammer to bounce and "hum" with the pin, things took a turn in the right direction. My analogy is Ringo Starr playing his hi-hat cymbals.

For both pairs of scales, I used the belt sander wheel to begin beveling the edge and rounding the tops. At first, I tried to stand and hold the scales like Brad does in this video. In this position, I cannot see the bevel against the sandpaper and how it is being formed:

I then remembered watching this Lewis Razors video around 7:40 and tried standing facing the wheel and using the bottom portion of the wheel and, voila, I can see the bevel form. Game changer!

“Miniature screws/bolts from sr_manufacture on eBay. He is not listing any right now. I would ping him.”

You can easily make a pair by gluing 3-4 brass nuts to a brass bolt from Micro Fasteners. Years ago, I made a pair before they were sold on eBay.

Just thread the nuts on the bolt, tack in place with a drop of CA, then glue to the bolt.

Thread another set of nuts, tack in place with another drop of thick CA, hit with Kicker and remove and glue with more CA. You can wax the threads to prevent sticking.

Really not a big deal as you have to buy a bag of nuts and bolts. The ones on eBay are nicer, and well made but as said no longer for sale.

Mocking up with bolts can save a lot of hassle before pinning.

Nice work, BTW.

The Fisher Price version is cute and all but I only ever needed the head of the bolt and one simple nut/washer to set scales up.
Stainless 0-80 x 1" hex or Phillips, with appropriate nuts and washers are readily available. I also kept 1/2" and 3/4" on hand.
Fastener express, Grainiger, Aspen, etc.
0-80 threaded rod and standoffs are findable too.

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Maybe pick up a cheap fountain pen in that pattern and try some cutting/solvent welding
Thanks for the idea, never gave that a thought. I did do a repair years ago using pin stock and epoxy. I worked well and held up, still in rotation today

Just waiting for pin material to come in to put it all back together, but very very happy with how this one came along. Was in decent shape to begin with but happy with the polishing performance.

Attachments

• PXL_20240304_005818872.jpg
    PXL_20240304_005818872.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240304_005808046.jpg
    PXL_20240304_005808046.jpg
    822.8 KB · Views: 16
I acquired a Bingham SR to restore some time ago. I knew it had the wrong scales but I wasn't sure what design or material to use. In the end, I decided on a traditional shape and black acrylic. I carved the design on a mini CNC last night, and while that was going on, I did some cleaning on the blade. This morning I sanded the scales and now they're ready for polishing. I really like the profile on this Bingham, and the thumb notch is a plus. I'll post another picture when this little project is complete.

20240309_202423.jpg

The scale at the bottom of the picture is what I removed from the SR.
20240310_160111.jpg

Last edited:
I recently acquired a W. Gilchrist wedge, this is a 1860’s razor. Restoration had 3 parts - 1) reducing the corrosion on the blade 2) polishing the scales, 3) reprofiling the stabilizer which was definitely in a position to distort the honing process. Before and After below.
Before
IMG_2147.jpeg

After
IMG_2156.jpeg

The scale sanding could be better - I was trying to go easy so as not to erase the initials carved on both sides. But can always go back and touch it up later.

Top Bottom