What's new

What yaqi/dscosmetics razors are worth it?

In my personal experience, the Yaqi Ultima is an excellent razor with the Brass version slightly behind it. And both are competitively priced. The Zamak version is no slouch either and actually offers a wider range of cutting ability. On the DScosmetics end, I highly recommend the V92 razor as it is superbly machined and offers a world class shave that rivals many high end & premium priced exotic alloy razors for a very low cost of entry. Honorable mention to the S9 as well. Made of Stainless Steel and worthy of consideration.

These are the only ones I've sampled from both of these makers and I can't say a bad thing about them. Others will chime in soon enough with more details & other suggestions.

Good luck on your search. :thumbup1:

I only own and use:
  • the Yaqi Mellon (SLOC self lubricating open comb) in zamak-ish version: very smooth and effective shaver. Surprisingly good for my ATG shaving, i use it regularly and like it very much. Its like a little bit less aggressive Fatip OC i would say.
  • the Yaqi Mercury (the "beginner" razor, based on the Merkur adjustable i think), closed comb, neutral blade exposure but quite a large blade gap. Very smooth and "autopilot" razor, but still quite effective, can be a good daily shaver for me, best with a sharp blade. Also zamak i think, very cheap head with M5 standard threaded head. Foolproof kinda razor, about as effective as my Rockwell 6C plate 4 but even a bit smoother.
For me surprisingly good shavers.

I dont own any DS cosmetics razors.

I love my T7 and T7-SE heads. They provide a very safe and comfortable shave and a wide range of blades work well in them for me. My favorite pairing right now with these is the King C Gillette blade from China, but the cheapos like the Shark Super Chrome and FlyDear Super Platinum are pretty good too.

I also have high praise for Yaqi Mellons (zamac is fine).

Shaved with my Yaqi TFC this morning. Nothing to complain about for $24, except...

I think it might need a slight spring upgrade. At the lower settings, it's fine. But at "5" mine starts to show uneven blade gap between top cap and safety bar. From what I can guess, and I've read, the spring loses some of its compression as the cap is raised higher to create more gap and exposure. And the blade, which is itself a "spring" under tension, is pushing down.

I have a Yaqi Ultima on the way in a few days, and I think I'll upgrade them both with new 304 stainless 15×0 8×10mm springs I found on Amazon, $6 for a pack of 5. Of course, the Ultima may not need the upgrade. I'll see.

My only other Yaqi is the Bohemia. And I bought it for two good reasons. I liked the way it looks and I wanted another stainless razor.
20240106_081627~2.jpg

20240106_081611~2.jpg
20240106_081712~2.jpg

The base plate has a "1" & "2" side, with the "2" being more aggressive. The handle is the best feeling one I own.

Attachments

• 20240106_081717~2.jpg
    20240106_081717~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
I have the Tile and Mellon, and they are both great razors, though not for the beginner, you do need a little experience under your belt before trying them.

Only downside was with the factory finish on the Tile. It had burrs on some of the edges and needed a touch of cleaning up with diamond laps before I used it. But once that was done it has performed very well.

I have a Yaqi Tile head and have been enjoying it. It has some picadillos with the finish that I am still working on. It is also really heavy, really heavy. If I add a heavy handle to balance it out, the whole thing becomes a tank. So trying out long, short, heavy and light handles to find the sweet spot. I think Henson doesn't make a SS version due to the weight issue. The Tile makes me want to get a Henson++ or a Winning.

The Mellon is also a fun razor. You can't go wrong with either the Zamac or the SS version.

I greatly enjoy the Romulus (polished), but I wish I had gotten the Remus (matte). The Romulus handle is too slick and polished head has little feel with a Kai Titan Mild. Plus the handle is unusually shaped. I also added the RR Bulldog handle and like it quite a bit. In addition, I scuffed up the Romulus handle with a wire brush to give it some extra tooth. A few months after I bought the Romulus, the OC version was released. I would either get that or the Remus, but note that the handle is wasted money basically. Be sure to get it on sale. Stay away from the Excalibur

Shaved with my Yaqi TFC this morning. Nothing to complain about for $24, except...

I think it might need a slight spring upgrade. At the lower settings, it's fine. But at "5" mine starts to show uneven blade gap between top cap and safety bar. From what I can guess, and I've read, the spring loses some of its compression as the cap is raised higher to create more gap and exposure. And the blade, which is itself a "spring" under tension, is pushing down.

I have a Yaqi Ultima on the way in a few days, and I think I'll upgrade them both with new 304 stainless 15×0 8×10mm springs I found on Amazon, $6 for a pack of 5. Of course, the Ultima may not need the upgrade. I'll see.

My only other Yaqi is the Bohemia. And I bought it for two good reasons. I liked the way it looks and I wanted another stainless razor.
View attachment 1846391
View attachment 1846392View attachment 1846393
The base plate has a "1" & "2" side, with the "2" being more aggressive. The handle is the best feeling one I own.
That Bohemia is wild!!!

Also, please keep us updated on the replaced springs and comparison with the TFC. I have had chattering issues with the Feather Popular TTO and a cheap Chinese TTO. Does TFC have such chattering issues?

While I've had good shaves with the TFC, it doesn't look like there's much blade clamping at the higher settings. I haven't noticed a greater instance of weepers, etc. because of it, but the uneven blade gap is a nagging thing.

Package tracking indicates my Yaqi Ultima is arriving today in the mail. I'll see then if it needs a spring upgrade as well. It would be nice if I could just add some washers into the adjustment knob to stack under the spring, but I doubt I could find washers with those very specific dimensions.

An update on my Tile head and Romulus handle. I mated them and applied a heat shrink tube on the handle. No worries about slippage now and the weird weighting on the handle works rather well with the Tile. I think I would recommend the Soledge over this contraption, but if you have the gear, it is a good pairing.

Attachments

• IMG_8331.jpeg
    IMG_8331.jpeg
    1,009 KB · Views: 10

Eben Stone

Staff member
20231128_190239.jpg

Yaqi Knight Helmet. I found it on sale for just the head. Best $3.81 I've ever spent on shave gear. If you like ultra aggressive razors, this is it. Nothing compares. My only complaint is it's Zamac. If they offered Titanium I'd already have one.

View attachment 1849134
Yaqi Knight Helmet. I found it on sale for just the head. Best $3.81 I've ever spent on shave gear. If you like ultra aggressive razors, this is it. Nothing compares. My only complaint is it's Zamac. If they offered Titanium I'd already have one.
Damn, that thing looks downright dangerous. Limited support, low blade bend and it is sticking straight out. What benefit do all the cutouts give?

Top Bottom