What's new

What would be a good top note for a blend of lavender and patchouli?

I'm going to use fragrance oils, lavender and patchouli, and I am thinking about adding a top note to it. I'm not sure what would blend well with the two.... suggestions?

I am going to be bold and say a very light amount of sage. The herbaceousness might blend well with the patchouli and set off the lavender.

I think a herb/flowery/plant(not pine-type) type of scent might be best. I don't think i'd like a citrus-type scent with it.

Scotto said:
Last I checked, sage was an herb, not a citrus fruit :wink:

duh, i was agreeing with you. i think sage could work. i was also letting others know that was what I was looking for and that I do not think i'd like a citrus-type scent with it.

L

lathermaker

Personally, I'd leave it alone. If you blend it properly, you will need very little of the patchouli. I make this blend using a 5:1 ratio.

Regards,
Lathermaker

Hey Lathermaker,

Welcome to B&B. Glad to have a familiar face around. For those of you who don't know or recognize Lathermaker...he's a soap guy! And extremely informative in the soap making field!

Randy

L

lathermaker

Thanks for the welcome!

I try my best to pass on knowledgable info pertaining to soap, lotion, aromatherapy and their processes.

There are many amateurs out there thinking what they make is the real deal but don't have full knowledge of the science/chemistry behind it. They can give reputable soapmakers and formulators a bad name.

Safety and knowledge are the first 2 main ingredients in body care.

Lathermaker

First, welcome to lathermaker from straightman. It's nice to have you at B&B.
Second, OK I'll also be bold and ask...what the heck is a top note (Maybe a D above a high C?:lol: )? Thank you.:cool:

Tom

Essential oils are classified by their "notes" or scent characteristics. This chart shows the typical classification and can be used in combining scents.

Top Notes: Essential oils that are classified as top notes normally evaporate very fast and typically have anti-viral properties. They tend to be light, fresh and uplifting in nature and are usually inexpensive. Top notes are highly volatile, fast acting, and give the first impression of the blend. However, they are not very long lasting.

Middle Notes: The bulk of essential oils are considered middle notes and normally give body to the blend and have a balancing effect. The aroma of middle notes are not always immediately evident and may take a couple of minutes to establish their scent. They are normally warm and soft fragrances.

Base Notes: Essential oils that are classified as base notes are normally very heavy and their fragrance is very solid. It will be present for a long time and slows down the evaporation of the other oils. These fragrances are normally intense and heady. They are normally rich and relaxing in nature and are typically the most expensive of all oils.

I pulled that from a site.
http://www.deancoleman.com/commonoils.htm

5:1 eh? I am waiting for a local health market to restock some lavender EO. I will try the ratio when I pick it up, I'll just be using it for perfume oil to start, before I can pick up some bulk glycerine soap. Is there any particular carrier oil you recommend?

L

lathermaker

Yep. I recommend using jojoba for many reasons:

it is the closest to our body's sebum (oil) found in the skin

it is really a wax so the shelf life is extended to about 2 years versus most oils that go rancid anywhere from 3 mos to 9 mos.

it doesn't have a scent of it's own so it accepts essential oils nicely.

Keep in mind that when you melt your melt & pour soap you let it cool to at least 100 degrees. Don't worry if it forms a skin while cooling. You can pull that off and the soap will be fine. The reason I suggest this is that adding any fragrance, be it a fragrance oil or essential oil, will burn off scent-wise if the soap is too hot. It's all in the flashpoints of the oil.

Also be sure the fragrance is totally incorporated. Many essential oils are heavier than the soap and will rise to the top. This will leave you with one very fragrant bar whereas the others will have very little scent.

Lathermaker

Top Bottom