What's new

TobaccoPipes: new age verification? Or scam?

I ordered some leaf and some pipe cleaners from TobaccoPipes this morning. I'm pretty sure I've used them in the past, and as with most tobacco sales sites, there was an age verification checkbox during the payment process. Today, I don't recall seeing that. My order apparently went through. But then, this pm, I get an email requesting age verification before they can process and ship my order -- that they need a scan of my driver's license or other ID showing my birth date. The note *appears* to be coming from their sales email, but I'm suspicious. Have any of you bumped into this?

I did not click on the email itself, but emailed their address independently, asking about this. Haven't heard back yet. Tomorrow I can phone them, I guess.

If this is their new "FDA regulation" compliance, which is what this email says, I'll skip this and go to Smokingpipes. (Unless they're doing this too!)

Last edited:
If this is where you ordered from it's legit.

They have requested a copy of my ID in the past. I emailed to them and didn't have an issue.
Right, I ordered from the site. You mean I have to start with this ID thing just to order tobacco from them? Their note said "new customers," and when I wrote I pointed out I've ordered from them before. It's been a while though.

Well, I'll call 'em tomorrow. If that's what they insist on, I'll use a site that simply asks me to enter my age, done. (Yes, SP verifies electronically, they say -- but they've never bothered me. So I guess they get what they want that way.)

Last edited:

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Technically I think they’re trying to follow USPS rules which state the sender or postal worker have to verify age. there’s no way the postal device is going to track someone down to verify age.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Give them a call and ask them about it.

I wouldn't punish a vendor like TP, who may be just trying to navigate escalating regulations as best they can. You're already giving them your payment and address information for the order. They already know who you are, and where to find you. A DL only gives them additional proof of DOB ... and maybe your eye color.

I see a similar, if not as intrusive, age check every time you go visit a distillery website.

The government nannies are increasingly putting the squeeze on these little vendors. TP is a good vendor. Don't make it worse for them by taking your business elsewhere.

Give them a call and ask them about it.

I wouldn't punish a vendor like TP, who may be just trying to navigate escalating regulations as best they can. You're already giving them your payment and address information for the order. They already know who you are, and where to find you. A DL only gives them additional proof of DOB ... and maybe your eye color.

I see a similar, if not as intrusive, age check every time you go visit a distillery website.

The government nannies are increasingly putting the squeeze on these little vendors. TP is a good vendor. Don't make it worse for them by taking your business elsewhere.
Oh, I know it's not their doing. It's odd, though, that this never happened with SP or P & C. If they are all verifying my age electronically behind the scenes, why is TP having a problem?

I just got off the phone with "Amy" at TP. As I thought, I'd ordered from them before -- but never tobacco. She said, just from speaking with me, she could mark this order, and any others I put in with that email in future, as verified.

As so often happens when I speak to people in states less benighted than this one, I had a good experience and felt as if my IQ went up a couple of points!

Last edited:

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I just got off the phone with "Amy" at TP. As I thought, I'd ordered from them before -- but never tobacco. She said she could mark this order, and any others I put in with that email in future, as verified.

As so often happens when I speak to people in other states besides this one, I had a good experience, and felt as if my IQ went up a couple of points.
Glad you were able to get this resolved. I like the customer service at TP. They are good folks there; knowledgeable and helpful.

Question are you talking about Tobacco & Pipes in PA. They are owned by STG, and are owners of General Cigar, Forge Cigar, CI, Thompson. Being biggest they do, do age verification.

Top Bottom