What's new

What the? Schill bidding or am I missing something?

$400 for a plain old fatboy? Nice and shiny - yes. Anything special? Am I missing something?

I smell foul play here - the same 2 guys bidding back and forth... Any ideas?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/310620590105...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1641wt_1163

$$T2eC16R,!)!E9s2fCHjSBROR7yTs6w~~60_3.jpg

Maybe there is something special about it. Maybe they're stubborn, highly competitive and well heeled. Maybe they were both just this one razor away from completing their collections. And maybe P. T. Barnum didn't take into account the possibility of the birth of twins. Who knows?

Ego happens to everybody.. Yep I know that handle hes a very aggressive person. I dont think its shill bidding that person is jumping all over the place like seabiscuit.. I have a hard time with people like that they juice the price up and then dont pull the trigger but hes bidding on to many things so my personal opinion is stupidity...

Last edited:
I've bought from that seller several times, and have had many conversations with him. He's a very stand-up guy to do business with in my experience, and hardly one I would consider to be schill bidding. Just my .02

where are these desperate people when I have stuff on ebay that I'm selling.

I saw this set too, when it was at about $75 and thought they were overpaying at that price...wow $400

I think people go insane when new at safety razors and think they need to buy any and everything shave related. I was one of these people and still am only now I buy everything modern shave related only to be disappointed 99.9% of the time. I just got $50.00 for an uncased slim adjustable on the Bay.

On closer inspection that is a flawless looking FB. I could see it going for 100, maybe 120 TOPS.

But still, 400 seems ridiculous. These bidders must be compulsive gamblers lol

I don't know if it was the same 2 guys who were bidding on a razor I had on the bay but these two bid mine up to $400 and then the highest bidder cancelled his bid and then the other guy did as well. Then they both started bidding it up again. One of them did win it but it wound up less than the first time. Which was ok because I didn't lose money but it just seemed to smell bad.

A word of caution regarding this type of discussion.

It is a fair assumption that anybody who sells a lot of razors has at least heard of this place.
Same goes for someone willing to drop that kind of cash on a razor.

I don't know if it was the same 2 guys who were bidding on a razor I had on the bay but these two bid mine up to $400 and then the highest bidder cancelled his bid and then the other guy did as well. Then they both started bidding it up again. One of them did win it but it wound up less than the first time. Which was ok because I didn't lose money but it just seemed to smell bad.

I have an ebay business and in my experience I've found that the higher the cost of an item is, the less likely the high-bidder will pay up for it.

proxy.php
proxy.php
Bidder
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Bid Amount
Bid Time
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Member Id: i***s
proxy.php
( 102
proxy.php
)
US $400.0010-Mar-13 18:11:20 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 102
proxy.php
)
US $400.0010-Mar-13 18:05:46 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
Member Id: y***o
proxy.php
( 1 )
proxy.php
proxy.php
US $395.0010-Mar-13 19:13:18 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 1 )
proxy.php
proxy.php
US $375.0010-Mar-13 19:11:13 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 102
proxy.php
)
US $374.0010-Mar-13 15:27:51 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 1 )
proxy.php
proxy.php
US $359.0010-Mar-13 17:45:41 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 102
proxy.php
)
US $350.0010-Mar-13 15:26:26 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 1 )
proxy.php
proxy.php
US $329.0010-Mar-13 17:44:04 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 102
proxy.php
)
US $300.0010-Mar-13 14:54:22 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 1 )
proxy.php
proxy.php
US $299.8910-Mar-13 14:34:33 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 102
proxy.php
)
US $260.0010-Mar-13 13:00:49 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 1 )
proxy.php
proxy.php
US $259.0010-Mar-13 12:56:43 EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
( 102
proxy.php
)
US $250.0010-Mar-13 07:49:48 EDT

I have an ebay business and in my experience I've found that the higher the cost of an item is, the less likely the high-bidder will pay up for it.

Antares,
How can that be? Isn't there some sort of severe consequence if a buyer just doesn't pay when they've won an auction? I know I sound hopelessly naive asking the question, but isn't there some sort of legal action available if this happens?

Fwiw, I've been on eBay since '98 primarily as a buyer (hundreds of items...at least) and less than a dozen times as a seller so my experience is skewed by that.

No, no legal action, but they put nonpaying bidder strikes against your account. After so many they close your account. Sellers can also mark thier auctions to where the person with a nonpaying bidder strike cannot bid on their items, so it helps protect against future nonpayments.

A word of caution regarding this type of discussion.

It is a fair assumption that anybody who sells a lot of razors has at least heard of this place.
Same goes for someone willing to drop that kind of cash on a razor.

What is the caution for? Accusation? Singling out the buyer or seller? I am confused. Outliers like thus are fodder for discussion.

Top Bottom