What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Wosti

$026.jpg

I'm glad that Schlieper went to a good home, Jake. Really really nice.

Thanks for the kind words AJ! I'm really happy I bought that razor. She's a top of the line straight razor, no doubt. What I couldn't believe was no one bought her up to that point. Razors like this don't come up for sale very often anywhere but then I have an idea most vintage straight razor enthusiasts are not aware of the quality Schlieper used in making his razors

It's my first ever (shaving with) a big blade in a full hollow grind. I have a one inch 1/4 hollow barbers use Wade & Butcher that I've yet to truly appreciate. I put a good edge on that one but up to this point, it only works well for me when I have a 4 day growth of beard. Of course I still think about buying a Hart one day to give it a whirl, and after shaving with the big Schlieper, the Hart will have to be a 7/8 blade...

Anyways, I have shaved twice with the Carl Schlieper. Tuesday and Wednesday and both days shaves were exceptional. I did my usual 2 pass shave (north to south, south to north) with a touch up only on each jowel ATG and was totally BBS. I don't have many razors that can get me to BBS in as short of time and I attribute that to the heft of this blade. needless to say I'm sold on the big blade (full hollow) experience. Enough that I dug this one out of a razor roll to sharpen and shave with

proxy.php

proxy.php
Sometimes I have a hard time taking a good pic with my camera, and these two pics are no exception. the blade on this Provant is exceptionally clean and bright and does not have the marks the camera portrays. This blade measures 7/8 exactly. I bought it and another large blade late last winter/early spring from Snuff here through the BST. So it's sat in one of my razor rolls, probably for 8 months anyways. I'm not sure why but I never got around to shaving with it. That all changed as of yesterday=:)

I dulled the edge and ran it through the same progression that I did with the Schlieper (Cretan, LPB bout, Les Latnueses and then La Verte), and same HHT results (HHT4), after stropping. i shaved with it late Thursday afternoon. It's a fine shaver. Not on par with the Carl Schlieper but pretty damn good none the less. What amazes me is the amount of good vintage blades that are out there to shave with. so many blades, so little time

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Used this new W&B I bought from Gamma with some RR 888. Nice shave!
(The picture is Gamma's and so are all the Nagura. Unless he sold those too.)
$wadespeed1.jpg

It is a gorgeous blade. I'm jealous. If I had had the cash, you'd have been out a blade. ;) Enjoy it man. She deserves the love.

Thanks for the kind words AJ! I'm really happy I bought that razor. She's a top of the line straight razor, no doubt. What I couldn't believe was no one bought her up to that point. Razors like this don't come up for sale very often anywhere but then I have an idea most vintage straight razor enthusiasts are not aware of the quality Schlieper used in making his razors

It's my first ever (shaving with) a big blade in a full hollow grind. I have a one inch 1/4 hollow barbers use Wade & Butcher that I've yet to truly appreciate. I put a good edge on that one but up to this point, it only works well for me when I have a 4 day growth of beard. Of course I still think about buying a Hart one day to give it a whirl, and after shaving with the big Schlieper, the Hart will have to be a 7/8 blade...

Anyways, I have shaved twice with the Carl Schlieper. Tuesday and Wednesday and both days shaves were exceptional. I did my usual 2 pass shave (north to south, south to north) with a touch up only on each jowel ATG and was totally BBS. I don't have many razors that can get me to BBS in as short of time and I attribute that to the heft of this blade. needless to say I'm sold on the big blade (full hollow) experience. Enough that I dug this one out of a razor roll to sharpen and shave with

proxy.php

proxy.php
Sometimes I have a hard time taking a good pic with my camera, and these two pics are no exception. the blade on this Provant is exceptionally clean and bright and does not have the marks the camera portrays. This blade measures 7/8 exactly. I bought it and another large blade late last winter/early spring from Snuff here through the BST. So it's sat in one of my razor rolls, probably for 8 months anyways. I'm not sure why but I never got around to shaving with it. That all changed as of yesterday=:)

I dulled the edge and ran it through the same progression that I did with the Schlieper (Cretan, LPB bout, Les Latnueses and then La Verte), and same HHT results (HHT4), after stropping. i shaved with it late Thursday afternoon. It's a fine shaver. Not on par with the Carl Schlieper but pretty damn good none the less. What amazes me is the amount of good vintage blades that are out there to shave with. so many blades, so little time

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Top Bottom