What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

Henkotsu

proxy.php

I love the modifications-oh wait that is how they are supposed to look like.
I took off the original etching on the blade and then handpainted a new one. The scales are hand finished buffalo horn.
I carved the gold dollar logo out and inlaid it with 14k gold.
It's my most expensive razor. The mods are there, just subtle.

I took off the original etching on the blade and then handpainted a new one. The scales are hand finished buffalo horn.

~~~I love it Otto...now only if your name was Jose and you lived in Spain

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I like it. Total "sleeper" I like that in cars too!

One pass shave this morning just to test the Mike's soap I received earlier. Barber Shop scent. Nice and slick, I like it.

I like it. Total "sleeper" I like that in cars too!

A "sleeper", that would be pretty cool. Actually take quality materials and denigrate them until you have what looks like a regular old ugly #66! It might take some real skill which would kind of be the irony of it.

~~~I love it Otto...now only if your name was Jose and you lived in Spain

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Whaaaat? :blink: Who is Jose? Is this something I'm going to feel stupid for not getting?

Tonight, another "sleeper" Gold Dollar with La Toja. Finished completely on my La Grise and water, no oil, no diamond spray, no pasted strop. Did use linen and leather though. Good shave but still have quite a bit of learning to go if I want to shave right off the coticule.
$Stock Gold Dollar, La Toja.jpg

Jose Montserrat (SP?)...maker of the famed philly razors (Philharmonic)

your gold dollar razor...perhaps the spine is too wide still and your honing is spot on. My first Gold Dollar I removed quite a bit from the spine using a DMT and was it ever a damn good shaver, honed w/coti. One or two I've done subsequently, I did not remove as much off the spine and shaves are not as good...I have an idea the angle is too great. Slash has a formula for calculating the angles (I believe he states 16.5 degrees is best), but I've never bothered to measure. I think it's time I did. One of the razors I gave away to a local peep and he isn't thrilled with the edge. It shaves but it could be a whole lot better. the first one (gold dollar) I honed, the good one, I gave that away too (went to England) so I don't have it around for measuring to see what makes it good...food for thought

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Jose Montserrat (SP?)...maker of the famed philly razors (Philharmonic)

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Doh! Of course.

The spine width could be a problem...I didn't have to do a lot to this one either, the shoulder was pretty good on it, so I just didn't spend a lot of time on it overall.

I just measured the Gold Dollar I have sitting on my desk, which I've honed and shaved with before where the shves were not as good as the first one I did that I spent more time removing metal from the spine. Using my metric digital caliper I'm seeing 5.7 to 5.8 mm in spine width. Blade width as measured from the top of the spine to the edge is 13/16...mebbe someone with the formula can run those #'s to determine the blade angle I have

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Used the Red Point this morning. Hey, I only have 3 straights, meaning if I post to this thread they repeat quite often. Does this mean I need to buy more razors? Hmm.... My wife doesn't want anybody to answer THAT question!

Used the Red Point this morning. Hey, I only have 3 straights, meaning if I post to this thread they repeat quite often. Does this mean I need to buy more razors? Hmm.... My wife doesn't want anybody to answer THAT question!
Yes. Yup. Yessir.
I keep trying to go minimalist and it doesn't work. I need more razors, you need more razors. Everybody needs more razors. It's really simple.

I've been on a Feather Artist Club kick the past couple weeks and am enjoying it. My first experience with it was with the light blades they come with but they aren't really 'light' at all, just less exposed. Because the blade holder at the edge is relatively thick metal this means the less exposed demands a greater angle to even cut anything. I found the angle it forced you into unless very very careful tends on the side of too steep and harsh therefore making the 'light' blades actually more of a potential irritant. Ever since switching to the normal blades it has been a pleasant experience with no irritation whatsoever and the blades last forever if you exercise a light hand. Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't tried one, but you do need to give it some time to sort out the differences from regular straights.

Top Bottom