What's new

What is your most recent “unbelievable find/deal” that you came into on hone(s)?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
But best score is probably that crazy looking Manganese packed 7x1.5" PDSO that David sent me the link to as a probable Thuri that cleaned up real pretty... Think it was $15 plus shipping.
That stone is a thing of beauty.

Adding to the pile. I bought a lot and got two more thuris. I think one will be yg and one maybe bg but I will only knows when I lap away the oxidation and filth

Sort of a two sided one
PXL_20230403_184009030.jpg
PXL_20230403_184028099.jpg
PXL_20230403_184045225.jpg

More homogeneous example
PXL_20230403_184057860.jpg
PXL_20230403_184118348.jpg
PXL_20230403_184129517.jpg

Completely missed the word "recent" in the title.

Ummm Recent... I snagged a Frictionite 00 for like $25 not too long ago... but that was just to resell, so doesn't really count in my book...

Crazy good deal/score that I bought for myself recently? Probably last years Rosy Red 8x2 ... I think I paid like $300 for it? No idea why I got it so cheap... I want to say it was right after Ukraine war started and a lot of the competition/bidders on eBay for stones must be out of Russia?

It's been thuris and stubtail razors for me. I did get a washita last week but I haven't had a look since it went in strip so idk what's doing with it.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This is about as recent as it gets, I just got tracking that it’s on the way. Found this not too far from me, close enough to see but to far to drive. Paypal $20 to put in a box with lots of paper and keep the change for the inconvenience of going to the post office
A6EB1675-1870-4AF0-B10F-121B9B05F51D.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
This is about as recent as it gets, I just got tracking that it’s on the way. Found this not too far from me, close enough to see but to far to drive. Paypal $20 to put in a box with lots of paper and keep the change for the inconvenience of going to the post officeView attachment 1632068
I assume that is not the box they came in. How do you oil fill a barber hone? Great score. If you know you know.

Completely missed the word "recent" in the title.

Ummm Recent... I snagged a Frictionite 00 for like $25 not too long ago... but that was just to resell, so doesn't really count in my book...

Crazy good deal/score that I bought for myself recently? Probably last years Rosy Red 8x2 ... I think I paid like $300 for it? No idea why I got it so cheap... I want to say it was right after Ukraine war started and a lot of the competition/bidders on eBay for stones must be out of Russia?
That was a really pretty stone.

A recent find at a garage sale, it was free. A nice Washita.

View attachment 1632097

Then a thuri from a flea market a week ago, got it for 3 bucks.

View attachment 1632099
That washita looks like my pike no.1, it's a really fine and fast stone(for me) it likes pressure. It's probably my favorite washita though I've got some old one I should probably get back out and try again. They seem to pile up. I can't comment on how good a thuri is because I've tried 3 hated one, absolutly love my light green one, and I like my good db but am kind of indifferent to it except to use it to slurry my lg. Washitas are getting stupid expensive. I'm glad I got a few laying around.

Is that a thuri or a llyn idwal? I've got a soft one with spots like that and is that same olive color. It's probably my finest novaculite. Finer than my stones from Dan's or Norton. It's a fantastic knife stone and will get a pocket knife as sharp as any of my straights I put on my jnats but I don't like shaving off it, even with Tam O'shanter slurry(mellows out harsh novaculite in a very good way for shaving) because it leaves a crazy aggressive edge. It feels smooth to my fingers but not my face. Id take it over a thuri the same size/ color(I got a rock that's suspect due to color and cleavage) because it performs way better for what I use most of these rocks for. I've only tried water on it and I bet with oil or tallow I could pull a buttery edge out of it but not as fast as I'd want.

Is that a thuri or a llyn idwal? I've got a soft one with spots like that and is that same olive color. It's probably my finest novaculite. Finer than my stones from Dan's or Norton. It's a fantastic knife stone and will get a pocket knife as sharp as any of my straights I put on my jnats but I don't like shaving off it, even with Tam O'shanter slurry(mellows out harsh novaculite in a very good way for shaving) because it leaves a crazy aggressive edge. It feels smooth to my fingers but not my face. Id take it over a thuri the same size/ color(I got a rock that's suspect due to color and cleavage) because it performs way better for what I use most of these rocks for. I've only tried water on it and I bet with oil or tallow I could pull a buttery edge out of it but not as fast as I'd want.
Thuri. Pretty obviously one in hand at that.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I assume that is not the box they came in. How do you oil fill a barber hone? Great score. If you know you know.
I will see when it lands. I think the box got switched over the decades. Last Norton razor hone i got was in a carborundum box

Are they what they're made out to be for axes Tim? I trust your opinion, and your compass.

Yes, it’s the one lumberjack’s will trade there wife’s for. Oval logo in black backed with the red layer
Sellers pictures
82AEFE5F-9ABB-465C-BA41-5DEFEA5142EF.jpeg
C6367496-E3AE-434D-829D-EEF1728133C8.jpeg

I will see when it lands. I think the box got switched over the decades. Last Norton razor hone i got was in a carborundum box

Are they what they're made out to be for axes Tim? I trust your opinion, and your compass.

Yes, it’s the one lumberjack’s will trade there wife’s for. Oval logo in black backed with the red layer
Sellers pictures
View attachment 1632313View attachment 1632314
Thanks, guess I'm going to have to hunt one down. I can probably find one locally.

Top Bottom