What's new

What is, was your favorite Camera?

Legion

Staff member
I used to shoot a fair amount of pinhole photographs. My pinhole camera takes a 4x5 Polaroid back, so I'd take instant B/W shots. I have a little stock of now discontinued film that I used with the pinhole camera and with Speed Graphics.

The film is otherwise extinct. Sob.

One time, while staying in a hotel in Mexico City, the curtains were drawn is such a way that only a pinhole of light came through. It projected the outside world onto the wall of the room. Even understanding how camera obscuras work, it was really an odd experience.

Bill
I had a mate who lived in a tiny apartment in London. He boarded up the window, drilled a hole and turned his apartment into a camera obscura like that. Pretty cool.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have two of these outstanding Minolta XG-1s in my camera bag.

I think of them as "new and more modern" backup bodies for the vintage SRT101s that I grew up shooting with.

Getting old.

Bill
Lol, we must be both aging! I learned about f-stops, lighting, etc.....and HAD to remember my self taught lessons because I was too poor to do anything but mail my exposed rolls off to "Clark" if I recall korreckly, in Chicago, and wait about a week to see if I had learned anything from the previous rolls!

Then I did a few weddings and senior pictures for walkin' around money, and to buy lenses!

If I am remembering right, I have a K-Mart equivalent to a Minolta 110mm lens still that took just phenomenal portraits. Made me look like I knew what I was doing, ha!

If anyone would have told me that I would leave the camera at home and be able to take nice shots that I could actually EDIT, CROP, ETC..... right in my Lazyarse Boy I'd have called them things werser than a liar!

Oh! Thank you my friend for the trip down memory lane...

Lol, we must be both aging! I learned about f-stops, lighting, etc.....and HAD to remember my self taught lessons because I was too poor to do anything but mail my exposed rolls off to "Clark" if I recall korreckly, in Chicago, and wait about a week to see if I had learned anything from the previous rolls!

Then I did a few weddings and senior pictures for walkin' around money, and to buy lenses!

If I am remembering right, I have a K-Mart equivalent to a Minolta 110mm lens still that took just phenomenal portraits. Made me look like I knew what I was doing, ha!

If anyone would have told me that I would leave the camera at home and be able to take nice shots that I could actually EDIT, CROP, ETC..... right in my Lazyarse Boy I'd have called them things werser than a liar!

Oh! Thank you my friend for the trip down memory lane...

This summer my son, now a college sophomore, got interested in shooting film, so we had fun going through my collection of vintage cameras.

One of the cameras I offed to let him take was one of the Minolta XG-1s. At the last minute he opted for a Canon EOS 900 that had belonged to his grandmother, which is a full-frame 35mm SLR, but so "foolproof" that it is basically a large point and shoot with the kit zoom lens. Perfect for his needs.

He was also pretty stoked to find that I had my old Yashica T4, a cool point and shoot with a Zeiss lens. Sort of a "poor mans" Contax T2. These Yashica T4s have evidently been subject to "internet hype" and often sell for even more than old Contax T2s, which is crazy. But I always felt the Yashica T4 was a cool little camera.

I could not quite part with my 35mm Minox or my first gen Sony GX100 digital camera (the latter of which he really wanted), but...

Bill

FarmerTan

This summer my son, now a college sophomore, got interested in shooting film, so we had fun going through my collection of vintage cameras.

One of the cameras I offed to let him take was one of the Minolta XG-1s. At the last minute he opted for a Canon EOS 900 that had belonged to his grandmother, which is a full-frame 35mm SLR, but so "foolproof" that it is basically a large point and shoot with the kit zoom lens. Perfect for his needs.

He was also pretty stoked to find that I had my old Yashica T4, a cool point and shoot with a Zeiss lens. Sort of a "poor mans" Contax T2. These Yashica T4s have evidently been subject to "internet hype" and often sell for even more than old Contax T2s, which is crazy. But I always felt the Yashica T4 was a cool little camera.

I could not quite part with my 35mm Minox or my first gen Sony GX100 digital camera (the latter of which he really wanted), but...

Bill
My only begotten is just a little bit older than your son, but he caught my photo bug.... He has only stolen my digital ones, but he threatens to buy adapters for my old lenses when he looks at my old prints.

He NEVER uses the auto focus features. I think he's nuts, but he better than 20 20 vision, so I doubt he's missed any shots. So my old lenses shouldn't give him any trouble. How did he get so much smarter and taller than me in such a short time?

My only begotten is just a little bit older than your son, but he caught my photo bug.... He has only stolen my digital ones, but he threatens to buy adapters for my old lenses when he looks at my old prints.

He NEVER uses the auto focus features. I think he's nuts, but he better than 20 20 vision, so I doubt he's missed any shots. So my old lenses shouldn't give him any trouble. How did he get so much smarter and taller than me in such a short time?

My son has just edged me out height-wise. I'm just shy of 6' 2". He's got that extra quarter-inch.

One camera we played with was my old EOS A2E, which has an L 28-80 zoom lens. The cool feature of this body is that it will autofocus depending on where one's eyeballs are focused in the viewfinder. The camera actually gets calibrated to one's eye. All obsolete tech compared with today's AF systems, but he thought it was pretty wild.

Bill

FarmerTan

My son has just edged me out height-wise. I'm just shy of 6' 2". He's got that extra quarter-inch.

One camera we played with was my old EOS A2E, which has an L 28-80 zoom lens. The cool feature of this body is that it will autofocus depending on where one's eyeballs are focused in the viewfinder. The camera actually gets calibrated to one's eye. All obsolete tech compared with today's AF systems, but he thought it was pretty wild.

Bill
Never heard of that! Science Fiction is fact, evidently.

Never heard of that! Science Fiction is fact, evidently.
I'm not sure if this feature ever found its way into another camera. It was magical at the time.

There are actually 5 zones across midline of the viewfinder, indicated by little boxes in the finder, and the camera will focus on the subject that one's eye is focused on. It is a neat trick.

Bill

Legion

Staff member

Bill
Not so obsolete. Canon has been bringing eye control back.

This is my favorite camera. It doesn't get much use anymore.It's mostly a show and tell item. I mostly use a Cannon EOS rebel.

IMG_0983.JPG

My favorite camera (digital) was my Canon 1Ds. It was a beast, took awesome pictures (for its day). I bought it used and it was still dreadfully expensive.

My first camera was a Canon AE-1, followed by a Nikon N8008

I used this exact type of camera in high school photography class. 120 film was soooo much easier to deal with in the dark room!
I have fond memories of the late 1960s in the school lab. My dad was a photographer for the Naval Electronics Lab from the late 1940s thru the early 1970s. His favorite camera was a Graflex.

My first camera was a low priced PETRI match needle ... A simple 50mm lens and the photos were razor sharp . Later I had Canons and Nikons but neither had lenses that were sharper than the PETRI lens .

Currently running a Nikon D850 and love pretty much everything about it. For film, my past favorite would probably be the Nikon FM2... What a beast.

I have a Sony DSC-H5 digital that's probably about 12 years old or so.
By today's standards, it's badly outdated but it has a nice Carl Zeiss lens on it and takes terrific pictures. I'm sure real photographers would laugh at it but it works fine for me.

Off topic I know, but I have a box of old film I came across cleaning out my moms house. 110, 126, 35mm, 120...the entire gambit. Even some strange film in little cans that is about half the size of 35mm. Anyway, does anyone still develop outdated film?

I've loved all my cameras as I progressed from my first to the last film camera which was cannon eos1. This was flawless in design.
First around 1960 was one from woolworths for less than a pound. 1 inch square pics and had great fun taking pics of my pals. Kodak instamatic was a big step up. Hardly any controls but photos were great . First slr was Russian zenith .great lens for the money. Pentax screw lens camera.
I don't have the same. Love for the 2 digital cameras I've had. Somehow the magics gone!

Top Bottom