What's new

What is the best way to load a cream?

I just get an almond size dollop, apply it in the middle of my wet shaving brush then face lather and add water accordingly.

A tip that I was given in a local shaving supplies shop changed my lathers, substantially.

I lather using a fairly similar method to turtle. I put my shave cream in the bowl and start to lather with a damp brush (with most excess water flicked off). After a couple of dashes of water and a minute or so of lathering, I add a spot of Geo F. Trumper skin food (in my case, Sandalwood) and lather for another half a minute.

The resultant lather was easily the most luxurious I have used and my face felt more lubricated than ever. The skin food also brings out more of the cream's scent as I shave, which can be quite pleasant.

No brush, just apply with my hands after diluting a mound a bit, the dilution is a little trick for canned creams that I learned from here a few months ago.

Last edited:
With creams and especially when I'm travelling, I tend to take a smallish blob and rake it through the tips of a wet brush and face lather. The size of the dob depends on the water quality where I am.

At home I may occasionally bowl lather creams but it's just for something different mostly. In that case , as most here do, I leave a few drops in the bowl from rinsing it out before use, Then a blob in the middle, then start working with a damp brush adding a few drops of water as needed til the lather is built.

Last edited:
it depends, for a cream tube you just squeeze into lather bowl, or onto face/brush if hand/face lathering.
for a bowl of cream, I squeeze the water out of the brush, and laod a little on, but you don't need to load very long compared to soap (You will quickly dial in about how many swirls you need) then lather on face/bowl/etc.

I always face lather, whether cream or soap. What works best for me is to squeeze off any excess water from a pre-soaked brush, and put a small dollop of cream into the middle of the brush with my fingertip. Then squeeze the bristles together, dip the brush in hot water for a few seconds, and apply to the face. This method means the lather is warmer than it would be if you'd swirled a damp brush around the tub and applied straight to the face.

Top Bottom