What's new

What is it about synthetic brushes that people like?

Ok so first off let me acknowledge I completely understand in this hobby that different people have different likes/dislikes and half the fun is figuring it all out. I'd never presume to judge other people's choices. I'm talking solely about my own experience here.

I started this hobby with an Omega Boar brush and eventually got an EJ Best Badger which I really rather like. I'd say I use it 80% of the time I shave. Eventually on a whim I decided I should probably give a synthetic brush a try since everybody is always talking about them. I ended up choosing a Razorock Bruce since I was ordering something else from Italian Barber anyway. It's a Plissoft type which seems to be well regarded.

I don't regret the decision and I don't dislike the brush. There's nothing wrong with it at all and the value was incredible. So I'm not slagging the brush. BUT I just can't see any compelling reason why I'd want to use it or own one compared to the EJ Best Badger which price wise is a rather middle of the road brush. The badger just splays more naturally and works across my face in a way that seems easier to manage and control and I like the scrubby-ness. I've probably only used the synthetic a handful of times.

So I guess I'm a little confused when I see people say they've become synthetic users exclusively. Am I doing something wrong? Should I try a different synthetic brush? Or it just completely an issue of preference and some people prefer either badger or synthetics?

Other than ethical concerns or budget what's causing people to choose synthetic? Again, no judgement - I'm generally curious.

Last edited:
Well you already mentioned the ethics and cost considerations.

For me the biggest reason other than those is drying. If space is at a premium or if you have young kids who like to meddle in your things, there is a clear benefit to being able to shake the brush completely dry or darn near and immediately store it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have bought a Semogue 620 boar, and two mid range badgers and they all give me road rash. My neck is sensitive to that sort of thing. I stuck with boar long enough to break it in, tips are nicely split. No issues with synthetic.

Synthetics are also easy. No presoak, no aftercare, put them away wet in a dopp bag if you have to. They lather like a beast and give up most of their lather. They are great.

I treated myself to a stunner of a brush. Custom lower loft Epsilon brown horsehair fan with a butterscotch handle that is a lot softer than my previous, and ethically harvested. It has some nice backbone but much softer than my boar and badger forays. I shave daily and could probably get away with using that one 2-3 times a week, especially if I am on vacation and skip a day or two.

Best regards, Jeremy

Last edited:
For me the biggest reason other than those is drying. If space is at a premium or if you have young kids who like to meddle in your things, there is a clear benefit to being able to shake the brush completely dry or darn near and immediately store it away.

Good point and something I hadn't thought of. No children in my household and wife and I have our own bathrooms. So, nobody meddling with my stuff when it gets left out on the counter.

When synthetic brushes first came out most of them were terrible. They were springy and splayed unpredictably. Just a complete mess.

They've made some serious advancements and some of the newer ones are actually pretty incredible. Not everything new is good as many of the newer ones still do suck but there are some that exhibit many of the qualities of a very high quality badger knot at about a tenth of the price.

So, to start with it's about picking the right ones. Once you do that you're getting the feel of an expensive badger knot for around the $20 mark. So a steal in terms of value as a decent badger knot generally runs $50 plus and some of the better ones can hit $200 or more.

Before the better synthetics started appearing your choices were pretty much badger or boar with boar being the inexpensive option. Boar is quite a different feel than badger as it lacks some of the luxuriousness (in my opinion).

The other thing that people seem to like about them is that they are great for travel. They don't require a long soak before use and they don't have to sit out and dry like a badger knot before packing them away. Plus being inexpensive they are easily replaced if lost.

Negatives are the lack of heat retention as they don't seem to hold the heat like a badger knot does.

I prefer the expensive badgers myself but the law of diminishing returns certainly kicks in quickly as I'm paying quite a bit (maybe ten times the price of a synthetic) more to get that last five or ten percent in performance.

Synthetics are also easy. No presoak, no aftercare, put them away wet in a dopp bag if you have to.

Another good point along the lines of what Feynmansbongos was saying. Probably a synthetic would make an excellent brush for traveling. I hadn't considered that.

Another good point along the lines of what Feynmansbongos was saying. Probably a synthetic would make an excellent brush for travelling. I hadn't considered that.
I love my traveller. 22mm tuxedo knot from Maggards in a custom plastic handle sized perfectly for the clear travel case. I invested an obscene amount of time in the dollar store finding the handle and case that were perfectly sized, but it was worth it. It packs up smaller than anything else I have seen.

Best, Jeremy

travel-kit-jpg.863787

They don't need to be soaked in water before use, retain almost no smell from the soap, and dry up quick.
On the other hand they don't have the scrub effect of a boar brush... There's place for both, I'd say :)

The Stirling tux is one heck of a synthetic, albeit I am comparing to no other synthetic out there as I only own the Stirling. The tips of the Stirling are as soft as some cosmetic brushes. Not that I use cosmetic brushes, only referencing what the LOTH has on hand. The Stirling lathers like a BEAST regardless of the fact whether your using a hard soap, cream, or anything in between.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have a boar brush at home, but am considering a synthetic for travel. Same reasons as mentioned above - low maintenance, quick drying, and can be packed away wet if necessary.

There is horse, boar, synthetic, various grades of badger.

Depending on the soap, one might work better. In my bathroom, with my hard water, Cade likes boar, MWF likes pure badger, DR Harris likes synthetic, etc. Yes, I can make any of em work, but some have preferences.

I've not been wet shaving that long and started with a Proraso (Omega) Boar. I didn't know much about brushes and how to use them properly, just made it up as I went along.
After a few months decided to try a badger and bought a cheapo Silver Tip from Amazon.
Used that for a few months, but wasn't that impressed by it.
So, next up came a RR Plissoft Synthetic and absolutely love that brush - this was what I was thinking a good brush should be like.
Recently I bought 3 Yaqi synths (all different) and I love them all.

I realise now that my Boar has never really been broken in and my cheapo badger is just that - cheap rubbish.
So, you could say I've never experienced a "proper" badger brush. But, honestly with the synths I have I'm not inclined to find out.
Anyway - SWMBO says she's much happier knowing that I don't use animal hair in my brushes any more. :001_cool:

It's not an ethical concern; I've had numerous badger and boar brushes. It's not the cost, although it is nice to get a top of the line brush delivered for under $20.

It's just that for the attributes I'm looking for in a brush, synthetics are better in every way.

Synthetics are not my favorite, but I still use them. Since they are so inexpensive I will buy one occasionally; sometimes with good results. I normally like a brush that pushes back a bit and offers some scrub, or at least just a good massage. Two band badgers and boars fill that bracket nicely. Synthetics seem to offer only softness. That they do well, and when I'm I'm the mood for that I'll grab one.

My favorite synthetic is the Chubby 2. Too bad that one requires so much effort to splay. This morning I was able to try a Yaqi mew brown brush that was actually pretty good. I think that fiber has potential.

I have only one request of synthetic brush makers: LOSE THE DAMMED GLUE BUMPS! When you buy a brush with a 50 mm loft, the loft should be 50 mm, not 40 mm with 10 mm of glue.

I have had two boars, and recently was PIFed a badger. But for $16 shipped CONUS I took a flyer on the PAA Atomic Rocket 26mm synth. The bristles, for most of their length, seem stiffer than badger but less stiff than boar. The tips, however, are so fine and soft I doubt any natural bristle can equal them. This brush lathers faster than the others. And as has been said, it doesn’t need to soak and it dries in a few hours. I am completely sold on synthetics now.

I have had two boars, and recently was PIFed a badger. But for $16 shipped CONUS I took a flyer on the PAA Atomic Rocket 26mm synth. The bristles, for most of their length, seem stiffer than badger but less stiff than boar. The tips, however, are so fine and soft I doubt any natural bristle can equal them. This brush lathers faster than the others. And as has been said, it doesn’t need to soak and it dries in a few hours. I am completely sold on synthetics now.

I have an atomic rocket it the mail right now. I should get it Tuesday. What do you think of the size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom