What's new

What is Favorite Metal for Razor?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just had 3 razors re-plated by Back Roads Gold: two Vintage Gillette NEW razors and a Good Fellas Smile Bayonetta. Chris did a wonderful job, as always.

All round, stainless is the hands down winner for me, especially 316L. It's only downside is the weight of larger handles. But if a short and/or thin handle is not to your taste, then a hollow large one will do the job.

I don't have any bronze razors (and don't plan to), but I do have a soft spot for bronze as a material. Second only to stainless for razors, IMO. Main downside with them is the eye-watering prices. :ohmy:

I can pretty much guarantee your aluminum Henson will not fail that way. The amount of torque needed to secure a super thin blade is de minimis.

It has nothing to do with the "super thin blade" of the secured blade. Irrespective of its thickness, in this case the blade acts as an incompressible block of material. The failure point is at the little "tab" of aluminum in the design of the Henson. If you have a Henson look closely at the design of the retention device and you will see what I am talking about. -It is the physics and basic engineering of a screw where there is a direct relationship between the twisting force (torque) and the "push" created perpendicular to that torque. You can look up engineering tools all over the internet that will do this calculation for you. If the example in a typical Henson razor a 1/4x20 and you apply half a foot lb then you get almost 200 lbs on the plate that holds the razor in place. Divide that force across the length of the Aluminum .004" plate that holds the razor and you have more than enough force to deform that plate. I guess, someday, when I get tired of the Henson, I will set up a jig on my bench with a torque wrench and run the test and get you an exact number of inch lbs required.

Last edited:
I only have one stainless (6S) and one aluminum (Henson mild) and the rest are vintage brass, so I may be a bit biased. I like the heft of the stainless razor that I have, but being the only one, I can’t say the added weight over brass would add anything to my favorite razors. Ditto for aluminum. I’d like to try a bronze razor, but for now I’m sticking with brass.

It has nothing to do with the "super thin blade" of the secured blade. Irrespective of its thickness, in this case the blade acts as an incompressible block of material. The failure point is at the little "tab" of aluminum in the design of the Henson. If you have a Henson look closely at the design of the retention device and you will see what I am talking about. -It is the physics and basic engineering of a screw where there is a direct relationship between the twisting force (torque) and the "push" created perpendicular to that torque. You can look up engineering tools all over the internet that will do this calculation for you. If the example in a typical Henson razor a 1/4x20 and you apply half a foot lb then you get almost 200 lbs on the plate that holds the razor in place. Divide that force across the length of the Aluminum .004" plate that holds the razor and you have more than enough force to deform that plate. I guess, someday, when I get tired of the Henson, I will set up a jig on my bench with a torque wrench and run the test and get you an exact number of inch lbs required.
You don’t have to. I tighten it with my fingers till it just stops and I don’t see any need to worry about it.

Some people are easily satisfied, and happy.
Dude. I have 970+ razors and shaved with hundreds of them. I've shaved with Stainless steel, titanium, brass, plastic, solid silver. The Merkur 37 fits my shaving habits the best. Nothing to do with easy. Everything to do with knowing what gives results.

Dude. I have 970+ razors and shaved with hundreds of them. I've shaved with Stainless steel, titanium, brass, plastic, solid silver. The Merkur 37 fits my shaving habits the best. Nothing to do with easy. Everything to do with knowing what gives results.

Wow 970 Razors, and you love your Merkur best as you say?

Ti threads are stornger than SS threads and the only way to ruin them is by stripping them the same as SS and that is what we call user error!!

Now if you wanted to say threads are the weak point of any razor, Titanium, Stainless, or Aluminum you would be more inclined to be right!!
In industry thread galling on SS fasteners is actually a "real thing", but with the low torque loads we have on our razors it probably is not a top level issue. But if it really causes you concern and you are OCD then:

You might want to consider using an anti-sieze product on the threads. A little goes a long way. All kinds of things will work for that apoplication. My other hoppy is reloading centerfire cartridges so i have around my shop Lanolin anti-sieze that works well, or you could spend a little over $3USD next time you are on AMZ and get some of this:

Screen Shot 2024-05-30 at 8.53.36 AM.png

Last edited:
316S all the way. I've owned various Aluminium, Chrome, Rhodium, Nickel and Titanium and other stainless grades but trimmed my collection down to almost exclusively 316S as it's a reasonable price, nice weight, durable, easy-care and tends to be well made for surgical precision. I love my razors, want them to last a long time so don't like seeing Chrome deteriorate with use.

I do like a bit of precious metal but 9 times out of 10 I'm using a zamak and brass razor of some type. Guess I'm a cheap date 😉

Top Bottom