What's new

What fun! Kidney stone!

One of the reasons that you have to strain your urine is so that the stone can be retrieved and taken to the lab for analysis. Once the composition of the stone is known avoiding certain things like diet drinks for example can reduce the likely hood of recurrence. When I was a very young Surgery Tech there was an ongoing unofficial study in our OR that found that drinkers of diet pop had a higher rate of stones, mind you it was anecdotal.

That is exactly how I got mine. I got laid off from an office job and picked up a more labor intensive job in the spring. I went all summer sweating bullets and drinking diet pepsi instead of water while at work. By September I was passing mine.

It's the only stone I've had so I'm not really prone to get them but that's the recipe for how I acquired mine. Towards the end I was also drinking a bit of tea in the evenings and I now avoid tea as well.

My dad's had several over the last couple of years. In one case, the pain was so bad it literally made him sick. In another case, while at the hospital, he was instructed to not drink any water because it was supposedly too big to pass and they'd have to operate. After suffering for hours, he got so fed up he snuck himself some water and passed it no problem.

Don't they use ultrasound to break them up any more?

Extracorporeal ShockWave Lithotripsy (ESWL) is still a frequent treatment modality for nephrolithiasis, but laser lithotripsy is becoming more common when renal calculus fragmentation is required.

Oh, kidney stones. What fun. Let's see, I passed my first one almost two years ago, to the day, in the emergency room. I had driven myself to the local hospital in the middle of night after spending a good two hours hugging the toilet for dear life because I was vomiting until there was nothing left to vomit, wondering if my left testicle was going to explode. Got there in one piece and was forced to wait several hours to be seen because the flu conveniently decided to roll into town in full force. Passed the darn thing about thirty minutes before they saw me. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. If I wanted to sit around for several hours with pain meds, waiting for it to pass, I would have just stayed home. :glare:

Oh sorry, right, no tales of excruciating agony. Um, kidney stones, passed them before, no sweat. :001_rolle

Extracorporeal ShockWave Lithotripsy (ESWL) is still a frequent treatment modality for nephrolithiasis, but laser lithotripsy is becoming more common when renal calculus fragmentation is required.
Gotta love doctorspeak. Written a journal article lately? :laugh::lol:

Well, back from the land of the Mouse, and so far, no gut-wrenching tales of agony, although there was some severe discomfort. Haven't had the classic symptoms, I guess, although I did have a couple of incidents like Phil described earlier.

Perhaps I've dodged the bullet, perhaps not. Time will tell.

The only thing that "works" is to get that rotten rock out of your system.

Pain? I had them when I was 12, thanks mom (hereditary)! None ever since, thankfully...

I forget the name of the procedure, but it involved some sort of technical machine thingy doing it's job as only a technical machine thingy does and zapping the crap out of your gut rocks. If this explanation is over your head, please PM me for more details :lol:

The time leading up to the procedure was horrific, but afterwards, let's just say that purple squirrels and albino wombats are very interesting creatures!

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
The only thing that "works" is to get that rotten rock out of your system.

Pain? I had them when I was 12, thanks mom (hereditary)! None ever since, thankfully...

I forget the name of the procedure, but it involved some sort of technical machine thingy doing it's job as only a technical machine thingy does and zapping the crap out of your gut rocks. If this explanation is over your head, please PM me for more details :lol:

The time leading up to the procedure was horrific, but afterwards, let's just say that purple squirrels and albino wombats are very interesting creatures!

Best of luck to you!

Probably the famous machine that goes "Ping!". I'm not aware of anybody in my family who has passed a stone . . . probably our Canadian sarcastic nature is caustic enough to keep protecting us.

I know someone who had lithotripsy. The newspaper described it as sitting in a bathtub with gentle vibrations in the water. My dad thought it was more like sitting in a swimming pool while someone threw sticks of dynamite into the water.

Top Bottom