What's new

What do you have to live for?

My aunt just left for Colorado. She came back to the states for a little bit to see family and friends that she left behind to go teach and do mission work in Africa.

I spoke to her at length about what she was doing over there with these kids and adults. Surprisingly biblical teachings are low on the list.

The average education level in the area she is in is 4th-5th grade. The average life expectancy is 40-45. Families are started by 12 year old girls. People are dying in this village because they have nothing to live for, except sex and alcohol. They believe that because all of the people around them are dying at an alarming rate that they better live life now. This leads to HIV and alcoholism and other destructive behaviors which shortens the life span and perpetuates the behaviors.

My aunt on an unending daily basis attempts to weasel in some happiness. She does it not by teaching the bible or by preaching. She does it by simple acts of kindness. A "Hello Kitty" band aid given to a small girl that has never seen a bandaid or has never seen one this pretty. She does not even put it on her cut she just carries it in her pocket because it makes her happy.

A small girl gets a 5 stitch gash over eye and her parents cannot afford stitches at the government hospital. STITCHES!!!!

I am not asking for people to run to Africa to save people. What I am saying is that people need to try to bring some happiness, no matter the amount in to someone's life that has no happiness.

Think about the above situation here in America. I am sure that everyone has seen or knows of similiar situations. What if the situation was yours? Wouldn't you like some happiness in your life.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I know that this may sound a bit coldhearted, but if you were to ask me what advice I would offer to people living in such dire circumstances, the first thing I would say is to stop having so many kids.

It's all too easy to turn a blind eye to the seemingly endless suffering in the world, or to fail to appreciate how good things are over here.

I would agree and no it is not cold hearted.

But how many 4th and 5th graders do you now that understand what or how to use a condom? Or 1st or 2nd graders?

Education is what is needed, but unless you are a rich South African, Africanner, or a well off local, your life ends between 35 and 45.

Western countries have to carry at least some of the responsibility. For decades Britain, France, the US and others propped up brutal, corrupt, dictators in order to sell them weapons, or to have access to minerals, or both, knowing full well that they were pocketing their country's wealth, and depriving their people of even the most elementary infrastructure. Perhaps encouraging and supporting our youth (and aunts) to help out through volunteer services in those areas may be a way of making good.

Cheers

Jeremy

These countries had as much time to create functioning societies as did the western nations. In stead they decided to let tribal differences keep them in a state of turmoil for thousands of years. In this world might makes right and if they were not strong enough to create and maintain a functioning society, it is not my fault. I don't mind being charitable but I refuse to shoulder blame for things I had no hand in. History is what it is and no amount of retrospect and handwringing is going to change it.

These countries had as much time to create functioning societies as did the western nations. In stead they decided to let tribal differences keep them in a state of turmoil for thousands of years. In this world might makes right and if they were not strong enough to create and maintain a functioning society, it is not my fault. I don't mind being charitable but I refuse to shoulder blame for things I had no hand in. History is what it is and no amount of retrospect and handwringing is going to change it.

I don't think anyone was pointing a finger at you, specifically, 6 and a half years ago when this thread was started.

There are plenty of places in the United States where conditions are similar to what the OP cited, and I doubt that's changed since 2008.

IT is a cold and cruel world in which we live. Part of our job as people is to bring a little light into the darkness . . . whether that darkness is down the street or across an ocean. We have an obligation to lend a hand up out of the darkness and into the light in whatever way we can. It is the human thing to do.

Top Bottom