What's new

What do we have here?

$MB Full.jpg$MB Nib.jpg

I had posted earlier of my intent to order a MB through my company rewards program. I didn't end up doing it, but bought a Pilot Metropolitan to get my feet wet. Love the Pilot, and ordered new legal pads to match paper to pen.

A woman at work has a MB that her husband gave her that she has hardly used and may want to sell. I've surfed the web, and I think it is a 146. Here's what I know:
1) Her husband gave it to her in the early 90's
2) It has a screw on cap
3) It is piston fill (not with converter)
4) It has a 14K nib

From all of this, I think it is a 146. Was hoping someone here would have a sense for the model / value of this, should I want to purchase it.

It looks like a 146 indeed. Personally I would not risk buying it; too many reports of cracked pens with 144s and 146s from the eighties and nineties.

I believe the forum rules dictate that we are not supposed to give out value estimates. However, if I were you,I would ask her to let you keep it at your keep it at your desk for a day or two to try out. During that time, look at the net for sales prices on various sites on the Web. If you like how it performs and the price is right, go for it:thumbup:

That's a 146. The box looks like it may be 80's or 90's. If it's like mine (1991 manufacture) it will have the modern finned plastic feed. If it's older, from the mid-80's, it might have an ebonite feed and those are considered highly desirable.

Ask her if she'll let you inspect it and/or dip it to test the nib. Look for any cracks. Does the piston knob operate smoothly? You can't open MB pens yourself (unless you have some funky homemade-in-China double-sided tool/wrench hybrid) to maintenance it and lube the piston or clean old ink out.

The other thing you could do is try to get it for cheap, then send the thing in for MB maintenance, which is like $70 and they replace just about everything but the nib and clip. I've never done this, but that's what savvy MB owners over at FPN do when they score deals on Ebay and other places for junky pens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice and feedback. Much appreciated. I plan to bring this with me to the MB boutique in Orange County when I pick up another pen that is being repaired (my trusty ballpoint).

She did offer to let me use for awhile, and I was planning on picking up a bottle of JFK blue whilst at the store. Piston knob works well, and there doesn't seem to be any damage. She told me she stopped using it when it ran out of ink, because she didn't know how to refill it. So basically it's been idle for 20+ years.

I will say I initially suspected it was a fake. The pen is much lighter than I expected it to be, and the housing feels like lightweight plastic, compared to my MB ballpoint and rollerball.

This FP thing seems to be sticking, so next acquisition will be an A5 B&B folio from West Coast Shaving.

Thanks again for the input / advice.

I will say I initially suspected it was a fake. The pen is much lighter than I expected it to be, and the housing feels like lightweight plastic, compared to my MB ballpoint and rollerball.
If it has a functional piston mechanism, then it is more than likely not fake.

Agreed. Still, for a 146 possibly made in the late 80's, I think the warning for brittle plastic applies. Inspect well for hairline cracks.

Top Bottom