What's new

What did your Old Man smell like?

My dad never wore cologne or aftershave. About the only "scented" products he applied to himself was whatever scent of deodorant he was using, Brylcreem, and Tinactin. So.... whatever that combination produces is probably my "old man smell".

Ben

aqua velva in the late 70s & 80s. a little old spice later on, but mostly aqua velva. i recently picked him up a bottle of floid blue and he he'll never use another.

he's an extremely cool guy and an extremely smart guy and always knew how to look just right. perfectly groomed at all times without being weird or obsessive about it.

My dad smelled like cigarettes and Old Spice.

Same here, cigarettes and Old Spice. Now, 14 years after he left this world...Old Spice is in my rotation, as is the old Ever Ready brush I found in his belongings. I think of him often, and wonder what he would say about my shaving habits!

The cigarettes...never. Cancer sticks.

My Dad smelled like British Sterling or English Leather when I was young. He has smelled like Royall Spyce and Grey Flannel for the last 20 or so years.

NOW cigarettes and English Leather if it was something outside the house. I did not get a dollar for shining his shoes.

If we weren't heading out the smell included cigarettes but was ... different.

Borkum Riff pipe tobacco. He smoked pipes and Swisher Sweets cigars all through my childhood. If smells are memories then that is my fondest one. He is a Korean War veteran and dedicated much of his life to serving the community I grew up in. I couldn't be prouder of My Old Man.

If I could find a Borkum Riff scented soap, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Steve

Last edited:
My dad smells of stetson cologne. He uses the original and every year for christmas I buy him a box set which lasts him and entire year. It was he who turned me on to Stetson black which has a very nice sandalwood scent.

Top Bottom