What's new

What did your Old Man smell like?

When I was growing up he always smelled of Old Spice and cigarette smoke. While I was away at college, he quit smoking and at the same time switched to Afta aftershave. I mostly remember the Old Spice, though, and it is still my favorite scent. He's been gone for 3 years now and I still miss him every day.

The automotive smell, grease, WD-40, maybe some gas and sweat...not offensive type. My old man was a damn hard worker retired from General Motors Powertrain Division after 25 years, and as far back as I can remember did a out of the garage lawn mower repair/buy and sell business. And he shaved with a norelco electric, but yeah that's what I remember most and before he passed away 2 years ago here in the coming December...he had added the smell of those cigar cigarettes as he found them cheaper than regular cigarettes. Yeah he wasn't much of a gent like most seem to be, but a simple man and a hard worker.

I can't believe I missed this thread. My Dad had two daily signature scents... Cigarettes and coffee. When he "cleaned up" his scent was some combination of hair goo and unknown aftershave.

Back before my father stopped shaving about 20 or so years ago there was always a bottle of Old Spice on the vanity. Since the mountain man beard started on good days he smells like Old Spice Deodorant.
Last year he started really going all out on his new hobby of smoking meats so on a bad day he smells like a mix of smoked meat & golden retriever lol. Toward the end of the day his smell starts shifting toward beer.

I love my old man but I'd say I'm definitely the better smelling of the two of us. Still he is a very caring if not rough guy and I'm lucky he stopped smoking when my mother became pregnant with my older sister.

Mine died in 01, but the smell I remember most as a child was wood/sawdust when he worked at a small sawmill here. He usually did not stay long at a job and I still don't think much of him but that was the smell I most remember.

My step grandfather (mothers side) who died the same year was aqua velva ice blue, I thought a lot of him.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Molten steel, pipe tobacco and scotch. I think he had a bottle of old spice, but I don't remember him wearing it very often.

British Sterling and old spice. Dad was a baller, he always had top of the line suit and gold swiss watches. He was an aggressive high priced lawyer who loved the game. I remember cocktail parties at our house as a child. All of the men in dark suits and all of the women in cocktail dresses and often white gloves. Lawton Chiles would be at the house often. Later he became Governor of Florida. It was very Mad Men. It was a very different and elegant time.

Skin Bracer. I remember when I was a kid, I'd watch him shave. Then, he'd splash on some after shave...then, pour a bit more on his hands and slap it on my face. So yeah, that smell reminds me of him. He died four years ago. Miss him.

My Dad was a millwright in an auto factory and a union steward with the UAW representing skilled trades. All he did was work; as many hours as they would give him in overtime, Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, and he rarely took any vacation time. He always smelled of some kind of industrial motor oil. He shaved regularly with some kind of Gillette DE. There was some kind of A/S on the shelf that was a kind of yellow in a short oval bottle with a red cap. That bottle was always there up until I was a teenager and it was always full. He obviously never used it.
cottontop

My father was/is a dairy farmer and worked around 90 hours a week, still does even though he is in his mid 70's. He usually smelled of sweat and the outdoors, but on Saturday nights he smelled like Old spice or English Leather. I do remember seeing the various theme shaped bottles of Avon on his dresser though, along with a bottle of Hai Karate which I inherited when I started shaving! Scent produces powerful memories, when I first smelled Clubman a few years back I was instantly teleported back to my Dads barbershop growing up.

Top Bottom