What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

SOTD: 05/20/2024

Razor: Parker Variant
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue, 1st use
Brush: Simpson Duke 3
Bowl: Timeless Razors Blue Bowl Bowl
Soap: Stirling Havaford Croap
Balm: Stirling Havaford Balm

- Shared from My Shave Den for iOS

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpeg
    IMG_0695.jpeg
    752.9 KB · Views: 2
Monday Morning Shave-

IMG_0256.jpeg

Pre-Shave: Hot Towel, Proraso Red

Badger: Paladin Sherlock 26 mm Tortoise, 2-band

Blade: Kai

Razor: GC 1.05p
Soap: NO Logbook
After-Shave: Cold Water Splash, GFT Alum, NO Logbook Splash

Rating: 9.5/10

Notes: BBS. I had to do a quick one pass shave. Nothing special but it was nice. Today’s car is Johnny Rutherford’s 1974 Indy winner.

6 Days to Indy.

💎 💎 💎 SOTD - “Unknown Gems" Theme Week - May 20th-26th, 2024
💎 💎 💎

May 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Hello friends

Sunny start to the week here. In keeping with this week's SOTD theme, I chose local products that I haven't used in a long time. Palmindaya cream is the most used in Brazilian barbershops. It's cheap, foams easily and abundantly, but it contains parabens in its formula. That's why I avoid it. It’s matching aftershave is alcoholic but has an aroma that a friend of mine defines as that of an old man's sock...

The Gillette Platinum blade now sold in Brazil, is made in China and even though it is not very sharp, it is surprisingly smooth.

The other items in my shave today are well known, Greencult 2.0 plate II and Semogue SOC Mistura.

With us, Duke Ellington and John Coltrane.

Rating: 9

Have a nice week and great shaves!
❤️🪒

View attachment 1849488View attachment 1849489
@Beto Salatini the SOC Mistura is a fantastic brush. I used mine earlier today. It's been used 35 times and has come into it's own very nicely. I love it!

SOTD: 05/20/2024

Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE, (12)
Brush: Razor Emporium
Preshave: Hot Water Splash
Soap: House Of Mammoth Everett Croap
Aftershave: House Of Mammoth Everett Aftershave

I shave after work, I am not awake enough at 3 am to be running a blade across my face. So knowing it’s Mammoth Monday I was looking forward to this shave today. Even had a dinosaur friend drop in for a photo op.

I only have 3 HOM soaps, all three just seem to just let the blade glide effortlessly. But Everett is something special. I don’t think Ben did anything extra to this soap and maybe it’s the name and the story behind it, but it just makes me smile when I use it.

Don’t kill me for the RE brush, I bought it before I ever knew anything about their past. But I do like using it, I’m a fan of the handle colors and it was relatively inexpensive.

The Sabre is my favorite razor. Hands down. I’m not even sure I will even buy the new one when it comes out that’s how much I love this one. 12 shaves in on this blade and does not show any signs of slowing down.

Rate 11/10 because this one makes me happy.

4BDF9670-B1F6-4367-ABB7-E89B1148896A.jpeg

- Shared from My Shave Den for iOS

The Major has been sticking w/what works. For the past few weeks, that's meant pretty much exactly as described below.

Warm shower
Phoenix Shaving Accoutrements Prickly Pear Mentholated Preshave Soap used as post-shower face wash + pre-shave
Naked Armor Stainless steel Scuttle
Razorock Bruce synthetic brush
Nivea Men Sensitive Skin shaving cream
Gillette Slim Adjustable, 1966 Q3, set at 4 above the jawline, 5 below
Personna Platinum blade

Every shave has been between 7-9.5 in satisfaction. Can't really go wrong w/a classic like the Super Speed.

-MO

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
The Major has been sticking w/what works. For the past few weeks, that's meant pretty much exactly as described below.

Warm shower
Phoenix Shaving Accoutrements Prickly Pear Mentholated Preshave Soap used as post-shower face wash + pre-shave
Naked Armor Stainless steel Scuttle
Razorock Bruce synthetic brush
Nivea Men Sensitive Skin shaving cream
Gillette Slim Adjustable, 1966 Q3, set at 4 above the jawline, 5 below
Personna Platinum blade

Every shave has been between 7-9.5 in satisfaction. Can't really go wrong w/a classic like the Super Speed.

-MO
Great to see you again, Major.

Pre: Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap Bar
Razor: RazoRock GC 1.05-P with Timeless Ti Crown Handle
Blade: Wizamet SI (1)
Soap: Stirling Baker Street
Brush: RazoRock Hive Mokasoft 24
Bowl: Timeless
Post-Shave: Stirling Baker Street AS and Zingari Sego Unscented Balm

A lovely evening shave, but just slightly less close than I like. I think the GC 1.05 likes Israeli Reds, Perma-Sharps and Nacets best. 9.5/10.

GC 1.05-P 5.20.24.jpg

Getting ready for a week of Edwin Jager Mach 3, Jack Black Supreme cream, and Maggard Tuxedo brush. My travel kit. Sadly my Jack Black Double duty came up empty. Moisturizer and SPF 20. It's not enough for Florida or the Caribbean, but it's a great base everywhere else.
Forgot about Amazon, new travel size shows up tomorrow.

Prep: Shower and face wash with Dove bar.
Razor: King C Gillette
Handle: KCG
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow, #1
Cream: Tabac
Bowl: none - face lather
Brush: Yaqi 20mm synthetic
Post shave:
Thorough rinse with warm water
Rinse with cold tap water
Proraso alum bar
Rinse with cold tap water again
Natio calming aftershave balm
Score: a 9 / 10 DFS
Summary:

A DFS for sure. Time pressure to get to work meant a step away from the Mellon in favour of the milder razors in my drawer - Gillette Tech or the KCG. I haven't shaved with the KCG for a while, and never with 7 O'clock yellows. The Tabac cream was amazing, as always.
The shave itself was astoundingly smooth and pleasing, despite only having a few minutes to shave. I'll definitely be testing this combination more fully.
20240521_082715.jpg

Switching to night shaves for a bit due to weird work schedule.

Razor: Rigarazor with Barber’s Notch
Hone: Dan’s Translucent Ark
Brush: Omega 10290 Boar
Cream: Proraso Blue
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash

Nice face lather with this Omega little piggy and Proraso Blue. I really enjoyed the lather and soft, scrubby boar.

Another one of my Rigarazors made short work of my whiskers. Waiting on a package and then I’ll have a mixed Rigarazor Seven Day Set. Then I can have Riga-Week.

An easy shave before a quick nap and then work. I’m really enjoying the Proraso shaving creams, nothing too fancy they just work and work well. 9.5/10.
IMG_2931.jpeg

Hot water splash.
Rex Konsul XL razor on 2.
Astra SP India (7) now measures 41g force to cut 0.15mm monofilament.
TOBS Sandalwood cream smells great and quickly forms a nice lather.
Yaqi (3 band) silvertip badger 24mm mysterious space brush is really nice and performs very well.
Proraso alum and green splash helped my moderate irritation.
Cremo Bergamot and Musk EDT is a nice interpretation of Creed Aventus.
5/10 DFS but uncomfortable with moderate irritation.

Attachments

• 1000005935.jpg
    1000005935.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Excellent shave this morning. Used a mystery razor that I received as part of a lot. No name or clues on it that I can find. It’s a slant, a bit heavy, and shaves slightly more aggressively than I’m used to. It delivered though! I let the weight of the razor do its thing, and the Gillette Silver Blues took it from there - resulting in a near perfect shave. Great way to start the day!

Pre: Shower
Brush: Simpson Synthetic
Razor: No idea!
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Soap: Seaforth! Black Watch
Toner: Thayer‘s - Unscented
Splash: Seaforth!
Serum: Jack Black Protein Serum
Balm: Zingari Man Aftershave Balm - Unscented
EDT: None needed!

3 Passes
No Knicks, Cuts, Irritation

Shave Rating: 10

IMG_3440.jpeg

Excellent shave this morning. Used a mystery razor that I received as part of a lot. No name or clues on it that I can find. It’s a slant, a bit heavy, and shaves slightly more aggressively than I’m used to. It delivered though! I let the weight of the razor do its thing, and the Gillette Silver Blues took it from there - resulting in a near perfect shave. Great way to start the day!

Pre: Shower
Brush: Simpson Synthetic
Razor: No idea!
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Soap: Seaforth! Black Watch
Toner: Thayer‘s - Unscented
Splash: Seaforth!
Serum: Jack Black Protein Serum
Balm: Zingari Man Aftershave Balm - Unscented
EDT: None needed!

3 Passes
No Knicks, Cuts, Irritation