What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

IMG_0576.jpeg

Ares V2 • Feather • Wiborg • Aion

💯 😎

Last edited:

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Another 10/10 today. Life is good when you have your kit dialed in.

Prep: warm water splash

Razor: Carbon Cx-Ti/Web
Blade: AccuTec AccuForge

Soap: Vitos Red + Coco
Brush: Rudy Vey Boxelder Burl with Semogue SOC boar knot

Aftershave: Skin Bracer

IMG_5325.jpeg

Preshave: Hot shower
Soap/Shave cream: Cremo Heritage Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Post shave: Gillette Gel
Rating: 9.5/10

Another terrific shave in a long list of them. As much as I like Cremo, this particular iteration isn't my favorite but it does work nonetheless.
If someone who wants to try traditional shaving were to ask me "What razor should I buy first?" I'd recommend the EJ without hesitation.

proxy.php

A SOD.jpg

View attachment 1831438
Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Hydrating Facial Cleanser
Soap/Cream
Vintage Williams
Brush
Kent BK 8
Bowl
Old Spice Mug + Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Timeless SS SB .68
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & TOBS ASB
Fragrance
Rating
10/10
Comments
This is the 4th shave in a row using my Timeless SS SB .68 razor with a Wizamet blade. Like the prior shaves, it was close and smooth. The next brush in my rotation that I am using today is my Kent BK8 Silvertip – a brush Kent no longer makes. This brush did a good job loading the soap even though there are only remnants of the soap left. It performed nicely. The soap is on its 113th use. A perfect shave on a perfect day. Have a wonderful day, folks.

Wednesday morning shave:

Pre-Shave
Warm Shower; face wash with Musgo Real Glyce Lime Pre-Shave Soap
Soap/Cream
Soap Commander Respect
Brush
Simpson Trafalgar T3
Razor
Parker Variant (Closed Comb)
Blade
GSB - 5th use
Aftershave
Cold water rinse; Thayers WH; Trumpers Lime Skin Food
Fragrance
Rating
9.5/10
Comments
One day growth.

Day 5 with the Variant and a great shave. Had to work a little harder with the GSB blade, as the sharpness is degrading. Otherwise, this razor/blade combo is working well for me.

Three passes and one clean up.

No nicks.
No cuts.
No irritation.

DFS++

Cheers!

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Baker Street Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Gillette Red Tip D3
Blade: Astra SP (8)
Soap/Cream: Seaforth Black Watch
Bowl: The CaYuen Workshop Medium Damascus Shaving Dish
Brush: Dscosmetic Neon Handle AP Shave Co 26mm MiG Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Unscented Post Shave Balm & Seaforth Black Watch AS
Rating: 10/10 An efficient 3 pass BBS shave with one touch up, no weepers, cuts or irritation. For prevention I still used an Alum Stick in my problem areas. A very good shave!

Thursday Morning Shave Hullabaloo

Rating: 9.8/10 Marvelous

Star of the Party this morning is my new Frank Shaving G5 Onyx knot. Beautiful handle and great scrub on the face. Whipped up a frenzy of a lather with ease. Overall great shave.

Schick Injector Razor
Supply Black Injector Blade (2X)
Tcheon Fung Sing Granducato Toscano Soap
Frank Shaving G5 Onyx Knot Brush
Citrus Musk Splash On

Gillette Cool Wave Aftershave

C3FAF25D-7FAD-4232-880D-96ECD15A2BE5-compressed.jpeg

Thursday, April 18, 2024

Hardware
RazorKarve Overlander (AL)
BladeGillette Silver Blue [4]
BrushSemogue SOC Boar (Taj)

Software
PreThayer's Lavender
PAA Cube
LatherVitos Extra Super Coco (Kilo) [6]
PostClubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Rating
10 / 10

Notes
I've been working through a substantial rotation of soaps this year, after deciding to rebuild my routine from scratch. Cella, Phoenix, Stirling, Pre de Provence, Martin de Candre, DR Harris, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac, Canada Shaving Soap, Mike's, RazoRock WtP, Catie's, Barrister & Mann, Mama Bear, Colonel Conk, Arko, Clubman, Van Der Hagen, Proraso Green, Speick. This morning got me thinking, again, that Vitos just might be the best of the lot.

Date18.04.2024
366 daily shaves
109/366

RazorBladeBrush
Matador DeluxeSilver Star (4)Abe’s Brush Works Big Boy G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (91)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4.5/10 (Sharpish)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.25/10
(DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. A nice relaxing shave with one of my more effective razors. Flying under the radar at times, but the Matador Deluxe is a gem in disguise.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

@WThomas0814 - Bill, I have always been curious to know how the Carbon razor shaves given that its design is so close to a Gillette Tech (in my opinion). Would you be able to shed some light on that?

full

Razor: RazoRock SLOC
Blade: Shark Super Chrome🦈
Brush: Simpson Kensington SE Sovereign
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Soap: TOBS Mr Taylor

Pre shave: Kyle's Routine, La Toja 🇪🇸
Aftershave: Speick 🌿

Very very nice shave worthy of a ten because it was pure joy however I usually only give tens to BBS.
The SLOC and a Shark are working well together, a perfect match.
Wonderful!!
---
1.5 pass shave, WTG, XTG with no issues
Rating: 9.5/10 DFS+ (almost BBS)

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Date18.04.2024
366 daily shaves
109/366

RazorBladeBrush
Matador DeluxeSilver Star (4)Abe’s Brush Works Big Boy G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (91)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4.5/10 (Sharpish)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.25/10
(DFS++)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. A nice relaxing shave with one of my more effective razors. Flying under the radar at times, but the Matador Deluxe is a gem in disguise.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

@WThomas0814 - Bill, I have always been curious to know how the Carbon razor shaves given that its design is so close to a Gillette Tech (in my opinion). Would you be able to shed some light on that?
It is very similar, in my opinion. I have a pre war Tech that is very slightly more aggressive than the .71 plate on my carbon. I'm considering the next step up, but an extra pass is a lot cheaper than a new Ti plate. I believe the two razors would be nearly identical with the step up.

It is very similar, in my opinion. I have a pre war Tech that is very slightly more aggressive than the .71 plate on my carbon. I'm considering the next step up, but an extra pass is a lot cheaper than a new Ti plate. I believe the two razors would be nearly identical with the step up.
Thanks Bill - and yes I would stick with the extra pass as well. More fun while keeping the money. Sounds like a plan to me!

Cheers,

Guido

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, April 18th, 2024

Razor : Yaqi 2nd Generation Mellon 316 SSP head with a Yaqi Chippendale 316 SSP handle. Mfg 2023>, mid range. The machining and finish QC are excellent and this razor just works for my mature technique and head design. This razor is based off "The Grande shave king razor" of the 1940's with many improvements like Stainless steel, no blade tab overhang and slightly more aggressive than the mild original 1940's Grand shave king razor variants. Had a close comfortable stellar shave this morning.
Blade : Gillette 7oClock SP(3) sharp and smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap : Razorock XXX Fresco slightly mentholated, nice XXX unique scented and similar to the RR XXX + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi " Lucky dice" 26mm brown whiskers synthetic fan knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, luxury splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. This is a very nice brush for 26mm fan knot, they nailed it perfect for my shave needs, it does not get much better for myself for my brush Zen moment.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX Fresco( slightly mentholated) with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable stellar shave this morning with my Yaqi 2nd gen 316 SSP razor with a Gillette 7oClock SP blade.
SOTD April 18 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom