What's new

What did you hone today?

Touched up my favorite ERN on my new 5 x 2 1/2 Droescher thanks to Nick(greekguy). 20 laps on slurry and 30 on water.
proxy.php

Touched up my Puma 52 and Bartmann 86 on a vintage coticule that is pure honing bliss on water or oil. Shaves don't get no better:001_wub:

$IMG_3836.jpg

Last edited:
any chance of an after photo of the face of the blade to see how the etch looks? I might need to look into getting some buffing tools.

~~~I'm not all that good with a camera but here ya go=:)
proxy.php

the buffer I'm using I bought from Northern Tool for around $70
proxy.php

I'm happy with the results I get using it, and I'm using only black compound on the left wheel and green compound on the right. The black will heat up a blde pretty quick so I keep a large to go drink cup fuilled with ice and water so as to be able to cool down the metal quickly

There are downsides to using buffing wheels. From a safety stand point, you have to be careful your work doesn't get caught up in the wheel. I'm exceedingly careful to cool the work down so as to not get the metal too hot yet you can lose the temper if not done correctly

Probably the biggest complaint some have with buffing wheels is how the wheel can affect the look of the blade. If over done, the metal can look like a lolly pop and the sharp lines and corners can become rounded. I feel with sticking to the black and green compounds only, I avoid a lot of the detrimental concerns

Also too, I'm buffing for myself, to clean up blades for myself to shave with...I'm not going for 100 point restrorations...I'm just wanting to knock off the patina and rust if there is any yet I wanted to mention all of this to you. Forewarned is forearmed

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I actually touched up my Joe Chandler Wootz blade for use this week

proxy.php

Now that's a beauty. What kind of finish is that? Stonewashed or tumbled?

~~~I'm not all that good with a camera but here ya go=:)
the buffer I'm using I bought from Northern Tool for around $70
I'm happy with the results I get using it, and I'm using only black compound on the left wheel and green compound on the right. The black will heat up a blde pretty quick so I keep a large to go drink cup fuilled with ice and water so as to be able to cool down the metal quickly

There are downsides to using buffing wheels. From a safety stand point, you have to be careful your work doesn't get caught up in the wheel. I'm exceedingly careful to cool the work down so as to not get the metal too hot yet you can lose the temper if not done correctly

Probably the biggest complaint some have with buffing wheels is how the wheel can affect the look of the blade. If over done, the metal can look like a lolly pop and the sharp lines and corners can become rounded. I feel with sticking to the black and green compounds only, I avoid a lot of the detrimental concerns

Also too, I'm buffing for myself, to clean up blades for myself to shave with...I'm not going for 100 point restrorations...I'm just wanting to knock off the patina and rust if there is any yet I wanted to mention all of this to you. Forewarned is forearmed

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

That's a very nice buffer. I use the black and blue compounds. The blue leaves a mirror finish on plastic and metal. I bought mined compounds from Lowes.

I just did a Halma[actually, Gieson and Forsthoff] 5/8th's that had when I bought it used quite a wide bevel and flattened spine, to make a decent edge I used 1 layer of tape for the bevel reset, which I did with my norton 4K.
I did about 60 circles but checking every 20 or so with the TpT. when it felt good I did a TNT and after passing that, I did some X strokes, about 20 with very consistant firm to very light strokes.
Then on to my Norton 8K and I did about 40 X-strokes until it felt very Good with the TpT and poped arm hairs easily.
The I "Jointed the Edge" which is a very light stroking along the edge on a glass bottle. Kills a bit of the edge but only a bit.
Then I did light X-strokes, about 40 in all with constant checking my arms hairs and the TpT.
I finished with 25 strokes on Crox on a Balsa wood strop.
The shave was as good as it gets but I will reserve my opinion until about the 2nd or 3rd to see if I have an edge that will hold up.
Just my way of doin' things mates, have a great shave on me!

tinkersd

$Picture 262.jpg$Picture 261.jpgi recently git my deceased grandfathers old straight it was a mess blade had huge chips and many. no metal showing all rust. the box was with it wrapped in friction tape. it was still damp. scales were a mess and not much to begin with. i still wanted to save what i could. so i honed it 3-4 days ago. a maker i never heard of; Wm. Moses Birmingham Ala. the blade etch; DAMASCUS over SILVER STEEL. wound up with a 4/8 ish blade and lost the silver steel part of the etch. rescaled with in padauk with a poplar wedge.

Last edited:
That's a very nice buffer.

~~~Thanks, I've had no problems buffing any straight razor I have with it, despite the short shafts coming out of the motor on each side. FWIW, Caswell is selling this same buffer with slightly longer shafts, for twice the price

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffing-polishing/buffing-machines/1-3-hp-buffing-machine.html

at least it looks like the same motor. I'm sure for some it would be worth paying extra for longer shafts, and $75 more really ins't a lot of money, unless you would like two buffers for the price of one=:)

I use the black and blue compounds. The blue leaves a mirror finish on plastic and metal. I bought mined compounds from Lowes.

~~~We were in town today and I was going to stop at Lowes to look at the blue buffing comppound you mention here but the traffic was horrendous on st road 200 so I bailed and turned around. I'll get back there soon and have a look at it...thanks for mentioning the blue compound to me/us=:)

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

proxy.php

I used my Cretan hone to begin the bevel correction^
proxy.php

pic quality is low but, to start out with this hone using it's own slurry stone, you have to accumulate the slurry powder when it's dry. Seen here not so easily is a pile of Cretan hone dust on the Cretan hone after the hone soaked in water for a bit. It's next to impossible to gather slurry when the hone is wet so I did the collection while the hone was dry...at least 5 minutes worth of work rubbing the slurry stone against the hone above a piece of wax paper
proxy.php

here I've added a little spritz of water to the dust and am mixing it with the blade of the razor
proxy.php

mixed up better here and you can see I added a souffle cup of water so I can use a finger's worth of water to gain better control of dilution

proxy.php

the slurry is well mixed in this pic and I'm well on my way using this hone. FWIW, I really like this Cretan hone. I bought a Chosera 1 K recently and as nice as that hone is, I'd rather hone with the Cretan to do my sub bevel correction work (<1K) It's PITA to gather slurry powder but the edge from the Cretan is nicer/smoother than what the Chosera 1K does, + the Cretan is a natural hone and if you want to keep your progression using all natural hones...it's hard to beat the Cretan IMNSHO FWIW2, I've used the Cretan a dozen X's so far (approx.)

proxy.php
I had enough slurry left over after bevel correcting the Union Cutlery Razor, i decided to bevel correct this 6/8 Worcester

proxy.php

top razor in this pic

proxy.php

Shave Ready! (it went to the strop, 60 linen, 80 leather)
The DMT was used to lap the coticules. After getting the micro chips out of the edge using the Cretan hone I went to the le petit blanc bout for final bevel correcting then to the 50X150 les latnueses coticule for the rest of the work. I did all of this hone work about 5 nights ago...I've yet to shave with this razor. Too busy trying different things with a few other razors but I'll get around to it, yet I have a feeling I'm going to clean up, hone and shave with this Silver Ring (below) first

proxy.php
that's not rust on the edge BTW...dunno why but the camera does some funny things sometimes. That is rust on the monkey tail though

proxy.php
11/16, full hollow, square point, Solingen...my favorite type of blade to shave with. I don't know if these were the original schales or not...someone changed out the pivot pin by the looks of it and I have an idea this is old Solingen as the shank is stamped with Weyer in front of Solingen, and they stamped it 'Made in Germany' as well. Sorry but I digress=:) this is my AD...buying old straight razors that need cleaning/honing, and a little love:001_wub:

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Challenge Cutlery Co. Bridgeport Conn. square point 11/16 half hollow. re-scaled in acrylic. took a great edge! finished on a BBW.

Nice work Jake!

And a damn nice score on the Grah & Plumacher!

Jon

~~~Thanks Jon!...I cleaned it up some on my buffer earlier Wednesday. Been ahving a hard time getting the right light to photograph my handiwork so here goes what I could photograph that came out halfway decent...
proxy.php

schales are cow bone and they cleaned up well...blade didn't need much time to get it looking like this

i used the Cretan hone again and amazingly, there were no microchips yet the Cretan reset (or correcected if you prefer=:)the bevels. I then wnet on to use your Dressante Cotiucule to do a full dilucot, checking to make sure it shaved arm hair well then moved through dilutions keeping the stroke a half stroke for the majority of the work, and then finished using water w/the 1/2 strokes then onto X strokes to finish, a hundred x strokes anyway

checked HHT with the first hair that came out of a hair brush from the guest bath...HHT2 was all it would go and I knew I gave the edge my all and felt nothing futher could be gained so onto the strop and recheckled HHT and got HHT3. time to shave!

I'll say this...it was a mighty fine shave indeed. This Silver Ring shaves and feels like an extra full hollow, moreso than my new Boker extra full hollow

i'm impressed with the speed your Dressante has on straight water. it's polishing but it's cuttiong too

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

That is fine looking razor!

My La Veinette is the same way, but the edges are more engaging. If it gives you trouble rinse stone and blade about every 20 laps. Glad you are enjoying it!

I can't wait to put a razor to it again.

Jon

That is fine looking razor!

My La Veinette is the same way, but the edges are more engaging. If it gives you trouble rinse stone and blade about every 20 laps. Glad you are enjoying it!

~~~~FWIW I was rinsing under ruinning water every 20 laps. HHT is highly over rated. Just imagine all of the good edges never shaved with because the honer didn't hit HHT3 off the hone. I got one of the best shaves ever from this Silver Ring. The edge was right there but, IMO, the quality oif the blade will limit success. This Silver Ring is a no limit blade. That siad, I'm sure there are better razors out there I have not come across but from the 60 different straight razors I've shaved with in the past year, I'd have to say this particular blade is one of the best to get a good shave from

I can't wait to put a razor to it again.

Jon

~~~A bribe could get it back to you sooner:001_005:

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Top Bottom