What's new

What did you hone today?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Touched up my user Filly 14 on a nice piece of razor-grade kiita, a really good finisher, not too hard but extremely fine and puts a smooth edge on a razor. I then used the spent slurry just to refresh a few with a half dozen shaves or so on them.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_2592.jpg
    $IMG_2592.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 171
$image.jpg

13/16 Brian Brown getting a workout on a Zulu Grey. Odd the Zulu hasn't gotten more recognition over the years. It is a great finishing stone...kind of between a coticule and Naniwa 12k

Today was a test, I took my Kiita mid-range and used a DN slurry off a 1200 plate then after working the slurry bit I poured it onto the top of my Okudo Asagi and finished working it down to almost water with just a hint of slurry, the edge was previously shave ready so before starting I joined the edge on the side of my pre-finisher then after the last stone I did 50/100 on the Kanayama 8K using suede/leather, I am curious as to how the next shave with it goes, the HHT was pretty a pretty decent 3 for only 15 mins time.

$IMG_4832.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Touched up a nice old Gelles-Freres in its original black horn scales on a karasu for the Sunday morning shave. It's a near-wedge with the usual hard French steel, and it shaves like 'velvet fog'.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• $IMG_2603.jpg
    $IMG_2603.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 98

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
A friend of mine stopped by today with his kitchen knives. Honed them on Chosera 400x, 800x, 1k, striped iyoto, Tsushima black and finished on a Narutaki jnat. These were cheap knives but they still took great edges.
My fingers have weepers now...

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 91
Reminds me I need to do mine! I have a cheap Henckels I vastly improved just by putting a Japanese bevel angle on and taking it to 1k.

A friend of mine stopped by today with his kitchen knives. Honed them on Chosera 400x, 800x, 1k, striped iyoto, Tsushima black and finished on a Narutaki jnat. These were cheap knives but they still took great edges.
My fingers have weepers now...

I agree Steve. I'm planning on starting a knife honing thread soon. I'd like to see what progressions everyone is using.

Awesome and I really HATE Finger Weepers! I sometimes get them when lapping my stones LMAO

I think having a dedicated Knife Honing Thread would be a Fantastic Idea my Friend:thumbup:

Today I worked over the latest of my Swedish razor acquisitions. Set the bevel on a dry #1k and #3k , then on to the brickyard. Both Coti's then the Jnat. Apparently I failed to put enough hate into the process because after all that, it failed to meed my pre-strop standard. Tomorrow I will try again and perhaps be a little more firm with the poor thing. I am finding the Bamboo style scales to be very common with at least Klas Tornbloms and I like them very much.

View attachment 658900

If this is a dup. Oops sorry!

This morning I gave yesterdays Klas Tornblom a working over he shall not soon forget. I find that a wet #1k appears to have more cutting power than it does dry and I put it to good use setting the base until it would cut hair. Then to #3k then the rarely used BBW side of my coti. I'm not sure where it's relative grit sits on the scale between the #1k , #3k , and the slate on the newer Coti. I didn't use the slate this time. Then Both coti's with a medium slurry, finishing up with Jnat and running water. I have a terrible case of honers mange now, having singed off a lot of arm hair setting the bead on a tractor tire yesterday. At least I didn't singe my head hair! I have to go back and hit the toe maybe a bit with a pasted strop and she will be ready to test before the others arrive.

This morning I gave yesterdays Klas Tornblom a working over he shall not soon forget. I find that a wet #1k appears to have more cutting power than it does dry and I put it to good use setting the base until it would cut hair. Then to #3k then the rarely used BBW side of my coti. I'm not sure where it's relative grit sits on the scale between the #1k , #3k , and the slate on the newer Coti. I didn't use the slate this time. Then Both coti's with a medium slurry, finishing up with Jnat and running water. I have a terrible case of honers mange now, having singed off a lot of arm hair setting the bead on a tractor tire yesterday. At least I didn't singe my head hair! I have to go back and hit the toe maybe a bit with a pasted strop and she will be ready to test before the others arrive.

Sounds like a stellar honing session Rich and I very much look forward to the results in your Journal my Friend:thumbup1:

Filly Novodur on my new coti...

Rinnie that is definitely a beauty of a stone my Friend and I too would like to know how you like it. :thumbup1:

How are you liking the new coti Ronnie?
Tha is definitely a beauty of a stone my Friend and I too would like to know how you like it. :thumbup1:

The stone is lovely to hone on. Smooth as butter on the hone, but so far the shave is 'meh', but its only the second time I've used it. On a Filly Novodur that was tugging, but still shaving, I worked up a slurry and did a bunch of circles and x-strokes, diluted it down to water with several hundred laps and finished with water and soap. I am beginning to wonder if this one is more a mid-rage hone and not a finisher.?? Going to try experimenting with more pressure as my synths like a very light hand at the finish. Any tips from the masters are welcome.

Top Bottom