I'm all honed out:

13/16 Robeson
-Tape
-1.2K DMT
-Norton 4k
-Norton 8K
-Le Dressant Coti finish
~100 TM latigo

I honed up my Dovo 6/8 Best Quality on La Veinette, and did about 30 extra finishing laps on a La Grosse Blanche. The Dovo Best Quality is really an amazing shaver, even before considering it's price point.

I'm all honed out:

13/16 Robeson
-Tape
-1.2K DMT
-Norton 4k
-Norton 8K
-Le Dressant Coti finish
~100 TM latigo

I am using this same progression nowadays, but I struggle a bit to remove the scratches left by the DMT. The edge and the shave is nice, but there are some visible scratches left on the bevel. About how many strokes do you do, how much time do you spend on the 4k and 8k? I just want to know if I am impatient, or my DMT isn't broken in fully yet :001_smile

Picture? I do love a nice Robeson. That sounds like a big one, too!

Indeed. That one is in need of a little TLC but I didn't want to do anything to it. It doesn't feel feel all that big but the heft to it is amazing. The real score was another Robeson I picked up, NOS and it is beautiful with twisted butterscotch scales. There is one on the bay starting at $150:001_rolle

I am using this same progression nowadays, but I struggle a bit to remove the scratches left by the DMT. The edge and the shave is nice, but there are some visible scratches left on the bevel. About how many strokes do you do, how much time do you spend on the 4k and 8k? I just want to know if I am impatient, or my DMT isn't broken in fully yet :001_smile

Hmmmm.........Well a DMT used for bevel setting I break in by rubbing it on the smooth surface of concrete, garage floor works excellent. IMO it makes a difference because you'll spend less time trying to get the scratches out. When using a 4K I normally stop and review the edge after 10 strokes. With this Robeson though I think I did about 30 passes on the 4k and another 30 on the 8k. It was a beast. I did about 100 passes on the coti and will give it a go this weekend.

Well, I finally manned myself up to re-hone this girl.

I was watching the ice hockey world cup at the same time (Russia-Denmark), so I lost count - but I'm sure she is adequate "stoned" by now :001_smile

Test shaving tomorrow and I am quite excited to see if I did well (fingers crossed) :001_smile

Picture? I do love a nice Robeson. That sounds like a big one, too!

Tomorrow's SOTD.

proxy.php

Honed a Waterville Cutlery. Started with a DMT 1200 then to a newly acquired La Dressante. Did the same as I would with my La Veinette, it worked great.

Got a killer edge testing with HHT. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I'm working hard on my Case "wedge" with my new coticule, so far not going prefectly but the bevel looks alright so I haven't ruined it yet I suppose!

A wilkinsons set I picked up last year, set the bevel this time on a 1k king, first time I used this stone, picked it up cheap and was impressed, then onto coti, unicot, canvas, strop, shave, nice, try the other razor tomorrow.

Top Bottom