What's new

What camera and photo gear do you use?

My personal favourite setup is my D300 with a Nikkor 50mm f1.8. I've also got an 18-200, an 18-55 and an SB-600 Speedlight. There's also a D60 around here somewhere as a backup.

I always wondered who bought Leicas today...now I know, and my Gawd, I'm jealous. :wink:
----------
Digital:
Nikon D90
18-105mm f3.5-f5.6 lens

There's still something creepy about digital to me. Even so, I'm getting used to it—how else am I going to take pictures of my shaving gear and post 'em here? :lol:
----------
Film:
Various Exakta bodies, VX-something-or-another models

I had more lenses for them than I can remember (they're in storage now), but my favorites were:
Angenieux 35mm f2.8
—remarkable color rendition
Steinheil Quintaron (sp?) 35mm f2.8
—Could focus under a meter, maybe even under a foot. Colors not as rich as the Angenieux, but still pretty damn good. I was very happy with the close shots I took of flowers with it.
Ulm 90mm f2.8
—Accutance was the equal of a model multicoated lens, as far as I could tell.
----------
Contax G1

The first new (as opposed to used) camera I bought. Love it for its size and (relative) ease of use.

Lenses:
—28mm, 45mm, and 90mm lenses. Not sure if it can take the G2 lenses. Checked the prices for the G1 and G2 bodies and lens on eBay and was shocked. It hasn't held much of its value. OTOH, it means you can get a great and unusual rangefinder system for a fraction of the price of a Leica.
----------
Zeiss Ikoflex TLR 6x6cm

Build and appearance are nowhere near a Rollei, and the single-coated (maybe even uncoated) lens' image quality will disintegrate if there's a light source in the shot or if there's any backlighting. But it could take some terrific images
----------
Sinar F1 4x5

Lens: Nikon 210mm. I think that's the equivalent of a 90mm in 35mm.

Sinar doesn't make this model anymore, but I think it could be upgraded to whatever their current entry level 4x5 model—for a huge sum of money. Can't afford it. And I practically fainted when I saw the prices of 4x5 digital backs.

A lot of work to operate, but it could be great fun. I just took it out of storage; I'm going to try doing landscapes with large transparencies with it.

Pentax *ist DL2 with:
-DA 18-55 I
-DA 50-200
-DA 40 Limited
-Metz 48-AF1 Flashlight

Pentax ME Super with:
-Auto Chinon 50/1,7

The next will be the Pentax K-x.

Some really nice gear listed.

My main camera is a Fuji S6500fd. 6.3MP with 10.7X optical.
Might not be the latest camera, but I really like the performance.
My backup camera is a Samsung L730. 7.2MP with 3X optical.
Not as good feature wise, but it's really small and fits in my pocket.

Photos of some of my gear. Except for one body and one lens, all the Exakta stuff is in storage.

Click on the image for a larger version:

From the top, going clockwise:
  • Sinar F with Nikon 210mm F5.6 lens in a Copal #1 shutter.
    As far as I know, Sinar does not make this model anymore, but could upgrade it to whatever their current intro 4x5 is. It would mean buying new front and rear standards...basically replacing everything except the camera's monorail. Kinda silly if you ask me. I hope they'll still do a CLA on it, though. The shutter needs repair/replacement as the flash connector broke off a few years back.
  • Zeiss 45mm F2 Planar lens for the Contax G series.
  • Contax G1 wearing a Zeiss 28mm F2.8 Biogon lens.
    I don't know if this G1 will take the superwide and zoom lenses produced for the G2. This may be a moot point though, as I was pleasantly surprised that G2 bodies on eBay are pretty affordable. :thumbup1: However, the superwide and zoom lenses seem to be as expensive as they were when they came out. :bored:
  • Zeiss 90mm F2.8 Sonnar lens for the Contax G series.
    The 28, 45, and 90mm lenses for the Contax G are really inexpensive on eBay. I reckon there are a lot of doctors and dentists getting out of this system :lol:
  • Zeiss Ikoflex TLR with 75mm F3.5 focusing and taking lenses.
    For the curious, the focusing lens is a Teronar-Anastigmat, and the taking lens is a Tessar.
  • Finally, an Exakta VXIIa (stamped "Germany U.S.S.R. Occupied" on the top :scared:!) with a 35mm F2.5 lens.

Finally, my concession to the digital age:

proxy.php

These days, of course, it gets all the use while the others sit on their shelves or in their case (the F1). It may not have soul, but at least I figured out how to set the aperture and shutter speed manually (but why oh why did they get rid of the split image in the finder for focusing? :mad3:)

Last edited:
Canon 40D
Canon G9

EF-S 10-22
EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS
EF 50 f/.4
EF 100 Macro
EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS

430 EX Speedlight
580 EX II Speedlight

Sto-Fen diffusers and Soft-Boxes

I shot Nikon for years (35mm) but switched to Canon when I had to make the digital jump. They had the better camera in my price range at the time (a Rebel something-or-other). Could have gone either way. I've been very happy with the gear I've got. I shoot the 17-55 95% of the time, followed by the 100mm macro. If I got rid of the others, I doubt I'd miss them. . . .

I just got a new photo bag:

proxy.php

Being a hardcore Indiana Jones fan and a student of archaeology the National Geographic NG2475 was a natrual choice for me. It matches my re-Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Raiders of the Lost Ark waterfall bash type Adventurebilt Dlx. perfectly.

Regards.

Jakob

I just got a new photo bag:

proxy.php

Being a hardcore Indiana Jones fan and a student of archaeology the National Geographic NG2475 was a natrual choice for me. It matches my re-Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Raiders of the Lost Ark waterfall bash type Adventurebilt Dlx. perfectly.

Regards.

Jakob

Those are very nice bags.

I just traded most of my photo gear for a Canon Vixia HF200 camcorder, but here's what I have left:

35mm:
  • Voigtlander Bessa R rangefinder with 35mm f/2.5 Color Skopar lens
  • Fuji Natura S Black point-and-shoot (24mm f/1.9 lens, very cool camera)
  • Olympus XA rangefinder with A16 flash unit
  • Sigma SA-7 SLR with 28-80mm zoom lens, 70-200mm zoom lens, and 50mm fixed-length lens

Medium format:
  • Seagull TLR
  • Lubitel TLR

Digital:
  • Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom

I've got a Nikon coolpix S6 I got just before getting married so I'd have something small to take on the honeymoon. Great for outdoor shots... less than adequate for indoor shots. Nice big screen and fairly simple to use. No analog zoom though :(

My main camera these days is my Canon EOS Rebel XTi... apparently it's currently the most used camera on flickr, for whatever that's worth. It's been a great entry level DSLR for me. Just the kit lens, Canon EF 28-105, f/3.5.

I've got a Canon EOS Rebel 35mm... Used it maybe a dozen or so times. My wife bought it for me before we got married because I was just getting back into photography, and the dslrs were still kind of rediculously priced. It was nice for what it was, but I never upgraded the kit lens or even got a flash for it.

I also sitll have the camera I learned on. a Pentax ME Super. I love that thing. I haven't used it in about 10 years because I'm too lazy to deal with film any more... also, I've grown so reliant on being able to immediately see results to have any confidence in my film shooting. It's a shame because I have a decent collection of lenses for that thing.

I just treated myself to a Nikon D5000DX with 2 lenses: a Nikkor VR 18-55mm and a Nikkor VR 55-200mm. :001_smile

Haven't even used it yet -- the battery is charging right now. Of course, I didn't remember to buy a memory card and the flash card from my old Power Shot doesn't fit, so I have to run back to the store before I can play!!! :letterk2:

I just treated myself to a Nikon D5000DX with 2 lenses: a Nikkor VR 18-55mm and a Nikkor VR 55-200mm. :001_smile

Haven't even used it yet -- the battery is charging right now. Of course, I didn't remember to buy a memory card and the flash card from my old Power Shot doesn't fit, so I have to run back to the store before I can play!!! :letterk2:

oh, man................ and now photo-stuff envy!?

I expect to see the obligatory "photographer takes pic of new gear [and self] in mirror" pic, OK?

congrats!

Jon

oh, man................ and now photo-stuff envy!?

I expect to see the obligatory "photographer takes pic of new gear [and self] in mirror" pic, OK?

congrats!

Jon

Thanks, Jon. It may take me some time to get my butt back off the couch to go to the store so I can buy a memory card. Probably won't do it until later. (Yes, I can be that lazy. :blush:)

Interesting thread! I'm by no means a pro, but I am learning. I actually have three kits I use.

Main Kit
D300 & MB-D10,
24-120mm f/3.5 VR ED,
50mm f/1.8 AF,
70-300mm f/4.5 VR,
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and 2.0x TC,
SB-600 Flash

Kit 2
Nikon D40,
18-55mm f/3.5GII,
55-200mm f/4 ED

Kit 3
Canon AE1Program (yes, a film camera :ohmy: )
Kalimar 28-70mm f/3.5,
Tokina 50-200mm f/3.5,
Speedlite 199A

I also use a Manfrotto monopod and Giottos tripod with Vanguard heads. Usually I carry the kits in either a Lowepro Fastpack 350. If traveling by air, the kit usually gets put into a Pelican 1454 with foam surrounds.

And I love them all. :wink2:

Time for an update :001_smile

My good old 20D is gone, it served me well, but I needed something that did a better job at high ISO photos - I favour photographing with small apetures and fast shutter times, thus making high ISO settings neseccary at times.

My current set-up is this:

Camera:
Canon EOS 500D

Lenses:
Canon EF 28-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 75/300 f/4.0-5.6 III USM
Canon EF 50 f/2.5 Macro

Flash:
Sigma EF-530 DG ST (w. Sto-Fen omni-bounce)

Other gear:
Canon RS-60 E3 remote switch
Manfrotto 055XPROB/804RC2 tropod kit w. MBAG80N bag
Velbon RUP-L43 monopod
National Geographic Earth Explorer NG2475 medium shoulder bag + NG3020 camera strap
Hama Mini foto studio XL

Regards.

Jakob

Time for an update :001_smile

My good old 20D is gone, it served me well, but I needed something that did a better job at high ISO photos - I favour photographing with small apetures and fast shutter times, thus making high ISO settings neseccary at times.

My current set-up is this:

Camera:
Canon EOS 500D

Lenses:
Canon EF 28-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 75/300 f/4.0-5.6 III USM
Canon EF 50 f/2.5 Macro

Flash:
Sigma EF-530 DG ST (w. Sto-Fen omni-bounce)

Other gear:
Canon RS-60 E3 remote switch
Manfrotto 055XPROB/804RC2 tropod kit w. MBAG80N bag
Velbon RUP-L43 monopod
National Geographic Earth Explorer NG2475 medium shoulder bag + NG3020 camera strap
Hama Mini foto studio XL

Regards.

Jakob

The 500D is a great camera. I would like to upgrade sometime.

A Nikon D90 and a whole bunch of lenses. From the primes to some fun 300MM glass, I have it covered. Always wanted to be a photog, but it just never was in the cards. Made for some fun classes in HS and college though.

Top Bottom