What's new

SONY alpha A57 DSLR

Right Guys I have just bought a newish camera to me, I have a finepix but its okish nothing to say apart from point and shoot.

Right the camera is a SONY alpha A57 DSLR Pro Camera + 50mm Minolta F1.7 & 28-200mm Lens 32GB + EXTRAS This is what it comes with.
  • SONY alpha A57 16.1MP DSLR PRO DIGITAL CAMERA (PAL, BLACK)
  • GENUINE SONY BATTERY
  • GENUINE SONY CHARGER + 3PIN UK WALL PLUG
  • SONY ALPHA NECK STRAP
  • EXTRAS INCLUDED:
  • YONGNUO YN460 SPEEDLITE HOTSHOE FLASH (runs on 4 AA batteries)
  • MINOLTA 50mm F1.7 AUTOFOCUS PRIME PORTRAIT LENS
  • QUANTARAY 28-200mm ASPHERICAL IF AUTOFOCUS F3.5 - 5.6 ZOOM LENS (included for free in full working order)
  • NEW 3in1 PRO CLEANING KIT (Hurricane Blower, Microfibre Cloth, Cleaning Pen)
  • NEW CAMERA TRIPOD (full length, adjustable with pan head and carry bag)
  • SONY CAMERA BAG (with multiple pockets and carrying strap)
  • SANDISK EXTREME 32GB CLASS 10 SDHC MEMORY CARD
  • SONY SLT-A57 HANDBOOK Comprehensive Guide by David Busch

Here is some pictures
11.jpg 10.jpg 9.jpg

Right now this is all double dutch to me, so is this ok do I or will I need anything extra to go with this.
Help lol

Right Guys I have just bought a newish camera to me, I have a finepix but its okish nothing to say apart from point and shoot.

Right the camera is a SONY alpha A57 DSLR Pro Camera + 50mm Minolta F1.7 & 28-200mm Lens 32GB + EXTRAS This is what it comes with.
  • SONY alpha A57 16.1MP DSLR PRO DIGITAL CAMERA (PAL, BLACK)
  • GENUINE SONY BATTERY
  • GENUINE SONY CHARGER + 3PIN UK WALL PLUG
  • SONY ALPHA NECK STRAP
  • EXTRAS INCLUDED:
  • YONGNUO YN460 SPEEDLITE HOTSHOE FLASH (runs on 4 AA batteries)
  • MINOLTA 50mm F1.7 AUTOFOCUS PRIME PORTRAIT LENS
  • QUANTARAY 28-200mm ASPHERICAL IF AUTOFOCUS F3.5 - 5.6 ZOOM LENS (included for free in full working order)
  • NEW 3in1 PRO CLEANING KIT (Hurricane Blower, Microfibre Cloth, Cleaning Pen)
  • NEW CAMERA TRIPOD (full length, adjustable with pan head and carry bag)
  • SONY CAMERA BAG (with multiple pockets and carrying strap)
  • SANDISK EXTREME 32GB CLASS 10 SDHC MEMORY CARD
  • SONY SLT-A57 HANDBOOK Comprehensive Guide by David Busch

Here is some pictures
View attachment 848205 View attachment 848206 View attachment 848207

Right now this is all double dutch to me, so is this ok do I or will I need anything extra to go with this.
Help lol

Well done Ice Man!

It doesn't matter who is doing the review, Sony digital are some of the most highly regarded imaging machines made today. Regular contributors who use them continue to reinforce that. You are going to have a heck of a shooter.

Congrats!! :thumbup:

Thank you Lane!! I sure hope so as the one I got is a point and shoot, nothing to write home about well crap really lol.
But it did its job in a fashion and my phone is good but not that good, we was out on Christmas eve with friends and all I had was the phone so what the heck pulled the trigger and bought that.

Just Bought

Yongnuo RF-602 Wireless Flash Trigger +2x Receivers
12.jpg

AF Confirm Macro Extension Tube
13.jpg

Minolta 28-80mm F:3.5-5.6 AF Zoom Macro - Lens

14.jpg

Yongnuo Speedlite YN-460 II same as the one with the camera

15.jpg

Plus this one

Sony SAL 75-300mm f4.0-5.6 Lens with Hood
16.jpg

Don't think I need anything else now.
Unless you guys can see anything needed.

The 28-80 is the old film kit lens, as such, don't expect great things from it. On the A57, it's equivalent to 42-120mm. Not a range that would fit many subjects. The 75-300mm is a standard telezoom, I'd suggest the Tamron 70-300mm sp USD is a better performer and not that expensive. The 50mm is always a shoe in - I'd never have a camera without a minimum of this prime.

The A57 is the successor to my old A55, a camera I loved before migrating to A77 and now Sony E-mount - enjoy Ice-Man!

Thanks Lane!!! But youtube is a dangerous place been looking at what the camera does and its opened my eyes looks to be a good camera.

I hear you. Me personally I believe I'm good equipment-wise, now it's just a matter of waiting out this deep freeze we're in :w00t:

The 28-80 is the old film kit lens, as such, don't expect great things from it. On the A57, it's equivalent to 42-120mm. Not a range that would fit many subjects. The 75-300mm is a standard telezoom, I'd suggest the Tamron 70-300mm sp USD is a better performer and not that expensive. The 50mm is always a shoe in - I'd never have a camera without a minimum of this prime.

The A57 is the successor to my old A55, a camera I loved before migrating to A77 and now Sony E-mount - enjoy Ice-Man!

Thank you Chapinahat!! It is a new learning curve for me and I have jumped in at the deep end. I did have a look at that lens Tamron 70-300mm sp USD but its out of my price range at the moment, over here they are asking £250 - £300 notes for it.

I hear you. Me personally I believe I'm good equipment-wise, now it's just a matter of waiting out this deep freeze we're in :w00t:

Oh yes but its not to bad here, its cold but no snow haha. But youtube has helped to get me started, to see if i can pick it up then I can save for better gear.
But I do like the look of the Sony A57 this is my old camera

17.jpg 18.jpg

Just zoom and snap lol its all auto focus.

I traded in my Tamron 200-500mm to Wex for mine. It, and a 90mm macro are the only lenses I have left, with adaptor.

The 16mp sensor is a little beaut, with really rather excellent low light performance too.

Thank you Chapinahat!! It is a new learning curve for me and I have jumped in at the deep end. I did have a look at that lens Tamron 70-300mm sp USD but its out of my price range at the moment, over here they are asking £250 - £300 notes for it.

Oh yes but its not to bad here, its cold but no snow haha. But youtube has helped to get me started, to see if i can pick it up then I can save for better gear.
But I do like the look of the Sony A57 this is my old camera

View attachment 849022 View attachment 849023

Just zoom and snap lol its all auto focus.

Looks great!

I'm finally feeling better after getting my tail kicked by a 5 day long chest cold. It just saps my enthusiasm. We're due for a storm in a couple of days...nothing huge but possible up to a foot of snow...maybe there will be some good scenery to shoot afterward!

Hope you get well soon mate.
But it has arrived today not had a lot of time looking at it yet, but hoping to do in the next 2 hours.
Then i can take a pic of it with my phone and if I'm lucky might get one taken with the camera.

Minolta had some wonderful glass which makes the Sony so interesting.

Take a hard look at the yn-560tx flash controller and yn-560 iii or iv flashes. You won't need the 602's and the tx allows you to control the flashes remotely (power and zoom). The 560's have built in receivers. I'm not sure if the 560tx will be 100% compatible though. Also, rogue makes a great flash gel kit.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Well it works these are what i have taken with it

20180103_013849.jpg
20180103_013834.jpg

And that was just the room light that was on no flash but I'm trying to work it out, and that is with the small lens that came with the camera.
MINOLTA 50mm F1.7 AUTOFOCUS PRIME PORTRAIT LENS.
I will try the other lens tomorrow during daylight, if it's not throwing it down with rain like it is at the moment....

Minolta had some wonderful glass which makes the Sony so interesting.

Take a hard look at the yn-560tx flash controller and yn-560 iii or iv flashes. You won't need the 602's and the tx allows you to control the flashes remotely (power and zoom). The 560's have built in receivers. I'm not sure if the 560tx will be 100% compatible though. Also, rogue makes a great flash gel kit.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

mroe21877 Thank you very much Sir!!! TBH I did look at those yn-560tx, and was not sure if they would work or not so I went with the safe option....

Well it works these are what i have taken with it

View attachment 849348 View attachment 849349

And that was just the room light that was on no flash but I'm trying to work it out, and that is with the small lens that came with the camera.
MINOLTA 50mm F1.7 AUTOFOCUS PRIME PORTRAIT LENS.
I will try the other lens tomorrow during daylight, if it's not throwing it down with rain like it is at the moment....

Nice work Ice!

I'll trade you some rain for this blizzard bearing down on us!

Top Bottom