What's new

What are your "top five" inks?

Edelstein Topaz because it is a nice brite blue that I can use in my Pelikans
Visconti Brown because I like brown ink and this one behaves well. I haven't tried my bottle of Pelikan Brown yet.
+1 on the Edelstein. If you like brown, Levenger Cocoa ia worth a try.

Noodler's Blue Black
Visconti Turquoise
Iroshizuku (Teal)
Anything similar to MB Saffron Ghandi
Herbin Éclat de Saphir

Reminds me I have one of the red Herbin 1670 that I haven't even tried yet. Have had it for months...:blink: Going to write up a storm with it tomorrow.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really enjoy Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku (forest green).

-Andy
That's one I'm using right now.

I can't say I'm overly fond of the colour, actually. I'd rather have something with a bit less of a turquoise tinge to the green. Not that it would have to be olive per se, but this one is just not my personal preference.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Private reserve is one ink i have almost no experience with, ill have to look into my sample vials and see if there is anything in there before i get ready to run them back over to Sam, I know i had a black somewhere but not sure i ever used it

Im still gun shy with noodlers after what Liberty did to my cap and section area around the nib on the pelikan, the cat i was okay with, hair grows...
I got a sample of Pelikan Royal Blue- it knocked BSB off as my favorite blue so far. Of course, I still have some Edelstein and Diamine samples to get through.

I've used diamine eau de nil and really like it but its not really a blue.. and the Edelsteins I've tried have been good to but I havent got to my pelikan sample yet.. won't be long after your post now lol

1. Diamine Sargasso Sea (my ultimate favorite ink!)
2. Diamine Denim
3. Diamine Syrah
4. Levenger Raven Black
5. Private Reserve Avocado

In no specific order:
Noodlers Zhivago (green black)
Aurora Black (black)
Noodlers Heart of Darkness (blackest of black - if thats possible!)
Noodlers Air Corp (blue black)
MB MidnightB Blue (blue black)

My revised list:

Diamine Sargasso Sea
Diamine Oxblood (Like it better than Diamine Syrah)
Diamine Denim
Levenger's Raven Black
Private Reserve Avocado

My favorite inks:

1. Noodlers Bernanke Blue - Fast drying, neutral rich royal blue. I use this one at work.
2. Noodlers Bad Belted Kingfisher - Dark navy blue. Bulletproof feature is nice.
3. Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Guri - Beautiful rich dark brown. Can sit unused in pen for weeks without drying out.
4. J. Herbin Vert Empire - Dusty moss green. Nice for when I want something different that's not too colorful.
5. J. Herbin Cacao du Bresil - Dusty light brown. Subtle color is nice for when bold just won't do. I also use this at work for personal correspondence.

Runner Up:
Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo - Bad Belted Kingfisher has replaced this one in my rotation. The Noodlers ink is both cheaper and bulletproof.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Blue: Diamine Bilberry (I actually prefer the colour of Sargasso Sea, but don't like the sheen to red)
Red: Diamine Red Dragon (For general writing, I like Oxblood, but the Red Dragon is perfect for when red ink is wanted for contrast)
Green: Diamine Sherwood Green
Purple: Diamine Grape
Brown: Chocolate Brown

(My three favourite "secondary" colours, to run alongside a "primary" blue or black pen)

Honourable mentions:
For black, I only use Quink Black. Washable in cartridges, and permanent in the bottle.
For other brighter inks, I also like Diamine's Burnt Sienna, and Antique Copper.

If I had to pick five they'd be:

• Parker Quink Blue Black
  • Waterman Serenity Blue
  • Waterman Mystery Blue
  • Noodlers Habanero
  • Robert Oster Fire and Ice

Quink and Waterman are just great workhorse inks, dependable and consistent. Habanero and Fire and Ice are just fun.

Scott

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
@nemo, any updates from your 2013 post? Looking for some ink for my Lamy 2000 and your recommendations are always interesting.
Yeah, but I guess it's only slightly different.

Sailor Jentile blue (hardly ever use this anymore, the box is all dusty)
Pelikan Royal blue and blue-black (a favorite)
Rohrer & Klingner Konigsblau
Lamy blue, possibly my favorite or maybe their blue-black

2022 add-ons to make 5
Platinum blue-black (slight IG)
Montblanc royal blue

I do use a LOT of Thornton's ink, not sure who made it but I got a bunch at $2 a bottle, it's European I think
Of course these are all modern inks, I'm not getting into all the vintage stuff (Quink, Skrip, Waterman's, Montblanc iron gall, etc)

Cool thread to resurrect!

Anyone loving the Birmingham Pen Company inks? I bought small bottles of a bunch of them, and promised to report back on them, but I always seem to always turn to past favorites of mine, when I actually refill a fountain pen, which I sadly do not seem to do very often these days. I, frankly, seem to favor the two B&B Noodlers special editions and the FPN Noodlers special edtion, Starry, Starry Night or whatever they called it. One of the Akkermans, too, I forget which number. I would use Pilot Iroshizuku, too, but I largely seemed to have run out.

I’m starting out with inks still. Mostly blue and blue blacks. My number one ink right now is Diamine Mediterranean Blue. Next Lamy Turquoise, followed by Diamine Pelham Blue, Diamine Registrars, and, as a place holder Harass Turquoise. I have more blues to try, and, I want to get Waterman Serenity Blue as well. I think after that I would like to try a red, and, maybe a purple. I’m not in a rush.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Since I started this thread all those years ago, ESS registrar's ink has really risen in my estimation and is almost certainly in my "top 3" ... the other 2 being Noodler's Kung te Cheng, and whatever else is particularly taking my fancy at the moment.

FWIW/YMMV

I started down this road with a Pilot Metropolitan and some basic Pilot ink. Later new and new to me pens by Lamy, Parker and Waterman had me "mating" ink brands with their respective pen brands.

A few fancy/new to me 14k nibbed pens later ( vintage Parker and Schaeffer) and a desire to streamline has lead me to the following:

1. Lamy Inks simply work, are well priced and widely available in a variety of colors
2. Birmingham Inks are excellellent and I feel good supporting the little guy
3. A few classics and/or fancies are always a good idea i.e. Waterman Serenity Blue, Pelikan Black, etc.

If you made me pick 5 for variety's sake, I would go

a. lamy black
b. waterman serenity blue
c. Birmingham Kentucky Bluegrass (green)
d. Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji (red)
e. J. Herbin in a shimmer offering i.e. grey

Having said all of that, the easy button would be

lamy blue
lamy black
lamy red
anything green/gold/brown/purple by Birmingham
anything shimmery J. Herbin

All put down by a new Pilot Metropolitan, Lamy Safari/Al-Star or a vintage Parker 45 with a 14-kt nib.

As such, I am going thru my non lamy inks with a purpose. I am still mating lamy al-stars to their respective ink colors when applicable.

Top Bottom