What's new

What Are You Reading?

Deception by Rand Paul

Boy, can Hitch write. I agree with him about 50% of the time but he’s always engaging.
Yeah, I really like Hitch and I do not always agree with him either. I do not think it bothered him that folks wouldn't always agree with him. He was the kind of public intellectual we need more of. I would say he is the kind of pubic intellectual Jordan Peterson should aspire to me. I used to really like JP and I still like some of what he does, but he seems to have become a tad brittle.

1000042178.jpg

All the clever satire of Philomena Cunk without the cringe of her interviews. It's the only book that's made me spit-take.

proxy.php
Now, I'm waiting on Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's 75th Anniversary edition of "The Little Prince". :thumbsup:

View attachment 1805871 View attachment 1805866 View attachment 1805867

"Few stories are as widely read and as universally cherished by children and adults alike as "The Little Prince".

This special edition of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's world-famous classic marks its seventy-fifth anniversary in print.

View attachment 1805869 View attachment 1805870 View attachment 1805865

Featuring a beautiful new cover and a special look at its history and making—including a biography of Saint-Exupéry, sketches, photos, and reviews from the first edition—this new anniversary edition of "The Little Prince" will capture the hearts of both devoted and new readers alike".

reading-a-book-in-bed-png.780138
"Some books leave us free and some makes us free". Ralph Waldo Emerson

I also really enjoyed Wind, Sand and Stars. It's one of my favorite memoirs.

Lord Byron's "Don Juan."

Yesterday marked the 200th anniversary of Byron's death in Greece. I pulled down my ignored Penguin edition of "Don Juan" promising myself to finally read it all straight through.

I did the usual British Romantics course in college, mumble-mumble years ago, and I loved Byron's work. But I left it there. I've lugged "Don Juan" from house to house, never even cracking it open.

I became addicted a few years ago to the wonderful books of Iris Origo, namely her two masterpieces, "The Merchant of Prato" and "War in Val d'Orcia." I wondered what else she had written, so I bought her "The Last Attachment," all about Byron's last great love, Countess Teresa Guiccioli.

That's where the fun began. Hello, BookFinder! I started with Leslie Marchand's three-volume biography, then his 13-volume edition of Byron's letters. Then a book on Byron's convoluted finances, then a newer biography by Fiona McCarthy, lots of other secondary sources. I became thoroughly addicted to the man, and yesterday's sad anniversary seemed the perfect time to finally start reading what I had long circled around, "Don Juan."

In my edition, it's a 500 page epic poem, divided into cantos and stanzas, all in ottava rima. Plus 250 pages of notes. I figure if I manage to read 10 pages a week of the poem, a not unreasonable goal, I should finish it in about a year.

So I am set. I started reading last night, introductions, etc., and finally the poem itself: "I want a hero," it begins. I've found mine.

Any other Byron fans out there? Anyone want to join in my year-long reading project?

--Robert (Vespasian)

I did the usual British Romantics course in college, mumble-mumble years ago, and I loved Byron's work. But I left it there. I've lugged "Don Juan" from house to house, never even cracking it open.
Exactly. In college, I was only concerned with getting through. Now, that I have leisure, I find myself rediscovering and delving into the literature we covered then. I minored in philosophy, but mostly bluffed my way through. I recently won a prize in a radio quiz because I could name Blaise Pascal. I promptly read a very sophisticated biography of him, and have been working on his Pensées, which I won in the contest. The same goes for Hermann Hesse.

Cheers,

Gauthier

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Exactly. In college, I was only concerned with getting through. Now, that I have leisure, I find myself rediscovering and delving into the literature we covered then. I minored in philosophy, but mostly bluffed my way through. I recently won a prize in a radio quiz because I could name Blaise Pascal. I promptly read a very sophisticated biography of him, and have been working on his Pensées, which I won in the contest. The same goes for Hermann Hesse.

Cheers,

Gauthier
Hesse was a favorite of mine

Killing Kennedy by Jack Roth, given to me by a daughter at Christmas. I was a senior in high school when Kennedy was assassinated. In 1962, I got into Ian Fleming/James Bond books and films because of JFK. I even had the First Family Comedy LP, which my parents hated almost as much as my Bob Dylan and Joan Baez LPs. I can still hear my stepdad yelling to my mom, that I had that g-d communist music on again. I always suspected that JFK's death was a gov't conspiracy by his own party, but never dwelt on it. I also never realized the number of books and theories surrounding the assassination, cancer-causing polio vaccines, etc, that followed.

Deception: The Great Covid Cover-Up
By Rand Paul

Top Bottom