What's new

What are some good jeans for under $100?

Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but I did have a question that I figured you gentlemen could help me with. Are GAP jeans pretty much on par with Old Navy, or is there a noticeable difference? What about Lucky Brand? These seem rather expensive from the ones I saw at the mall, and I am curious if the quality is there when compared to other brands, like Nautica, Hilfiger, etc.

Gap jeans look better and are better made than Old Navy. I switched to Levi for they have more options.

Wrangler Carpenter jeans.

$17 at walmart or target. They last and are comfortable from day 1, and get even more comfortable after a month of use :)

I don't need any more from jeans.

Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but I did have a question that I figured you gentlemen could help me with. Are GAP jeans pretty much on par with Old Navy, or is there a noticeable difference? What about Lucky Brand? These seem rather expensive from the ones I saw at the mall, and I am curious if the quality is there when compared to other brands, like Nautica, Hilfiger, etc.

I've always been a Levi's guy, but over a year ago when I saw some Lucky Brand on sale for about 60% off I bought 3 pair and have been really happy with them. They are softer feeling than Levis and seem to be holding up decently. At the price I paid I would definitely buy them again, but not sure they are worth the full retail price.

With all those, you're paying for the cut of the pants, not the quality.

To which jeans are you referring? I personally have had wonderful luck and comfort when I wear my Nautica and Tommy Hilfiger jeans. I feel that the prices I was able to procure them for were very fair, especially since the Hilfiger Freedom jean was less than $20 because I also receive coupons for that brand every so often. Nautica's jeans I've never paid more than $25 for a pair, as I go to the outlets for those as well.

Gap jeans look better and are better made than Old Navy. I switched to Levi for they have more options.
OK, I appreciate your letting me know. I was always curious when it came to their quality.

I've always been a Levi's guy, but over a year ago when I saw some Lucky Brand on sale for about 60% off I bought 3 pair and have been really happy with them. They are softer feeling than Levis and seem to be holding up decently. At the price I paid I would definitely buy them again, but not sure they are worth the full retail price.

Very interesting. I might have to go into their outlet and have a look around next time I'm in the area.

Also, if anyone can comment on the price and feel/longevity of Ralph Lauren's jeans or 7 For All Mankind, I would be interested to hear thoughts on those as well.

I've been happy with my Nautica jeans. I think I paid $35 for them three and a half years ago. I don't wear jeans that often. Once or twice a week. I have a pair if old beat up lawn work or car work Levi'. Everything else I wear are poly cotton chef pants.

I would buy Nautica again. Or go with my Levi's. Perk of Levi's is I rarely need to try them on. Just order my 569s in 33x32. :)

Everybody's right about Levi's. I get a new pair about every two years. I always forget what number/style I like, and have to go back and try them all on again. I'm pretty sure 514 is what I enjoy.

I have two pair myself. One the Okayama Standard, and the other is the Zimbabwe....You want them tight like you say that they are for you now. Just wear them for the next few days whenever you can, and they will stretch out for you for a nice custom fit. I should have sized down on my Okayama, as after wearing them for three weeks, they are getting that dreaded butt sag....my Zimbs are one size smaller, and "tight" when first purchased, are great right now.....Best of luck....

Well, 5 months later and 15 pounds lighter they fit quite well. Still snugish but not busting at the seams in the thighs and I can easily button them up. Heading into summer I don't plan on wearing them much at 16 oz weight so I ordered a 13 oz summer pair from Gustin, should get here sometime next month. If the sizing stays true then they should fit nicely out of the bag. The button fly is kind of a pain but otherwise I love the jeans. If the sizing is consistent then I'll definitely get a few more pair in more exotic fabrics/colors.

I picked up a pair of Lucky relaxed straight jeans made from Italian denim for 20 bux at Marshalls The best most comfortable jeans I have ever owned.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I wore Levi's for many, many, like 30 years, but their quality has plummeted. They went from 7 belt loops to 5, the pockets are shorter, and I was lucky to get a year out of a pair before the "denim" wore through. I have them a few chances, but I have them up altogether and went with the Wrangler rugged wear (the sort I tried to mention above). Those jeans are like Levi's used to be.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I wanted to try on a pair of Levis 541s which are supposed to be a more "athletic" cut meaning more room in the seat and thighs, and have some elastane blended into the fabric. The difficult part of buying jeans for me is that normal jeans are not made to fit my badonkadonk and thighs. I tried on two pairs of the 541s my current size and a size up, and while they fit well in the waist and butt/thigh area, both were insanely tight from the kneed down. Who the heck are these athletes they are making jeans for, and why do they have 13" calves?

On a lighter note, I am a fan of Arizona Jeans and Bull Head Denim. But I'm still a poor college kid that doesn't pay more than $30 for a pair of jeans.

I'll just say it is my honest opinion that Levis 501s are both the most comfortable and best looking jeans you can buy. Timeless classic, will never go out of style, and if it does, who cares? :)

I wanted to try on a pair of Levis 541s which are supposed to be a more "athletic" cut meaning more room in the seat and thighs, and have some elastane blended into the fabric. The difficult part of buying jeans for me is that normal jeans are not made to fit my badonkadonk and thighs. I tried on two pairs of the 541s my current size and a size up, and while they fit well in the waist and butt/thigh area, both were insanely tight from the kneed down. Who the heck are these athletes they are making jeans for, and why do they have 13" calves?

I've actually been pretty happy with my 541's. I don't think mine have anything blended as they are raw denim, but the cut is better overall.

I have the opposite issue because I wear 38" waist pants. If I buy straight leg jeans, it looks like I'm wearing those super baggy jeans from the late 90's. But slim cut jeans are super skinny throughout the seat and thighs. The 541's look and feel like straight leg jeans used to back when I wore a 32-34" waist. It's a pretty subtle taper at this size at least.

I used to wear only Wangler till they closed the distribution and manufacturing centers here and moved production overseas about 10 years ago. I believe North Carolina also got hit pretty good in that restructuring. I don't fault them it was the right move for the company at that time it just hit out employment base in rural Oklahoma really hard. At that point I started buying Round House and have been very happy with them. Of course according to SWMBO all my taste for fashion is in my mouth, I'm just looking for good work jeans. I do try to buy American when I can and especially try to support our Made in Oklahoma producers. From Head Country Bar-B-Q Sauce to G&H Decoys we have some great products in Oklahoma. Raised up some pretty good singers too.

Last edited:
I used to wear only Wangler till they closed the distribution and manufacturing centers here and moved production overseas about 10 years ago. I believe North Carolina also got hit pretty good in that restructuring. I don't fault them it was the right move for the company at that time it just hit out employment base in rural Oklahoma really hard. At that point I started buying Round House and have been very happy with them. Of course according to SWMBO all my taste for fashion is in my mouth, I'm just looking for good work jeans. I do try to buy American when I can and especially try to support our Made in Oklahoma producers. From Head Country Bar-B-Q Sauce to G&H Decoys we have some great products in Oklahoma. Raised up some pretty good singers too.

Head Country's great. Haven't had it in years. I used to love their brisket too.

I've actually been pretty happy with my 541's. I don't think mine have anything blended as they are raw denim, but the cut is better overall.

I have the opposite issue because I wear 38" waist pants. If I buy straight leg jeans, it looks like I'm wearing those super baggy jeans from the late 90's. But slim cut jeans are super skinny throughout the seat and thighs. The 541's look and feel like straight leg jeans used to back when I wore a 32-34" waist. It's a pretty subtle taper at this size at least.

Not sure I'll buy the raw jeans again. After the second or third time I washed them (cold water, gentle, hang dry), they have shrunk to the point I can't wear them anymore. Loved the color when new, but I don't want to deal with that mess.

I'll keep my eye out for a pair without the raw denim.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I could only find the 541s locally at JC Pennys. The woman at Dillards had know idea that Levis made a 541, and Macy's had them listed on their banner in the store, but for the life of me I couldn't find the jeans, or an employee to ask about them.

Top Bottom