What's new

Weird garlic

A few weeks ago, I noticed that my local store was selling garlic imported from China. This is insane. I live in California, the greatest garlic-growing state by a huge factor. And the garlic was lousy, sprouted and stale.

So I went to Trader Joe's. I've tried all their different fresh garlic, organic, etc., and I have found the same problem: no scent, no taste. I just tossed five minced cloves into a pan of onions sautéing for a mushroom cream pasta sauce, and, as before, no flavor, none of that nice garlic aroma wafting through the casita.

What gives? I guess I'll try the farmer's market. Or maybe minced garlic?

Buy garlic????

Guess I'm spoiled but I've never paid for garlic my whole life and we use tons of it. Its in the garden and even in pots on the porches (supposed to keep skeeters at bay).

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
We have Chinese Garlic here. I find the same thing, insipid. I wonder if it is hydroponic? it is so clean and white it just does not look right.
Local garlic is the best to buy. Growing garlic is easy but will take time. Plant on the shortest day and it should be ready on the longest day.
I am not a fan of pre minced garlic but would pick that over the Chinese stuff.

We have the Chinese garlic also. I think its quality is inferior to the locally grown one. I try to buy the local fresh one when I can find it.

We can really only get Chinese garlic here, it's rubbish. I use 3 - 4 cloves in a dish that, when I am in France and buy local garlic, I only need 1 clove.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that my local store was selling garlic imported from China. This is insane. I live in California, the greatest garlic-growing state by a huge factor. And the garlic was lousy, sprouted and stale.

So I went to Trader Joe's. I've tried all their different fresh garlic, organic, etc., and I have found the same problem: no scent, no taste. I just tossed five minced cloves into a pan of onions sautéing for a mushroom cream pasta sauce, and, as before, no flavor, none of that nice garlic aroma wafting through the casita.

What gives? I guess I'll try the farmer's market. Or maybe minced garlic?

I've been to Gilroy. Home of The Italian Scallion.

There are some varieties of garlic where 'reduced smell (and flavour)' is actually marketed. I guess they're trying to sell garlic to those strange holdouts who still believe that garlic smells bad. Or something.

I don't really get it.

Maybe I should start my own brand of pepper that isn't quite so spicy and contains added fiber. I could just mix old, stale, pre-ground pepper with a few flakes of shredded cardboard. I'll tell people that the pepper is hand-picked by trained lemurs. Everyone likes lemurs. I'm gonna be rich.

If you are near Granite Bay I can tell you the farmers that grow and sell garlic, just PM me. Otherwise I avoid WholeFoods as they buy their garlic from China, toss in one "local" bulb and magically call it "local". For garlic next spring plant seeds now in pots and you will never buy garlic again!

There are some varieties of garlic where 'reduced smell (and flavour)' is actually marketed. I guess they're trying to sell garlic to those strange holdouts who still believe that garlic smells bad. Or something.

I don't really get it.

Maybe I should start my own brand of pepper that isn't quite so spicy and contains added fiber. I could just mix old, stale, pre-ground pepper with a few flakes of shredded cardboard. I'll tell people that the pepper is hand-picked by trained lemurs. Everyone likes lemurs. I'm gonna be rich.
If you can get the lemurs to eat pepper corns and poop em out before grinding, you can probably double, no!, quadruple your price.

Here is an article on how to identify Chinese garlic as well USA garlic.

http://californiamediterraneandiet.com/tag/how-to-recognize-chinese-garlic/

Thanks for the link. That article is both infuriating and depressing. Everything I hate about this globalized "flat" world is exemplified by the current garlic market. In short, we're being screwed.

I grew up near Gilroy, before the garlic festival, knew a garlic "rancher," loved a town you could smell driving through.

How I wish I had even a scrap of dirt in which to grow garlic! Urban apartment here; can't even have a window box.

But I do live in the city with the biggest farmer's market in the country (I think), so I know where I'll be going next Wednesday.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks for the link. That article is both infuriating and depressing. Everything I hate about this globalized "flat" world is exemplified by the current garlic market. In short, we're being screwed.

I grew up near Gilroy, before the garlic festival, knew a garlic "rancher," loved a town you could smell driving through.

How I wish I had even a scrap of dirt in which to grow garlic! Urban apartment here; can't even have a window box.

But I do live in the city with the biggest farmer's market in the country (I think), so I know where I'll be going next Wednesday.

I checked my garlic supply after reading the article. Looks like it's made in USA...roots and everything.

Top Bottom