What's new

Weight loss for guys over 40

All three of my adult 'children' have very successfully used 'Body For Life'. Two sons age 34 and 39, both at 6'2" and hovering bet. 190 and 225#'s and dtr 30. The BFL program is specific diet and exercise with daily charts to make it easy. When they initially showed me the online before and after pictures, I said no way, they are fake photos. I can honestly say, I saw the results in my family and they could have posed for the before and after photos. They followed the program to a 'T' and the results were amazing.
Sue

Phog Allen said:
Evening fellas. The post about the home gym got me thinking about weight loss and working out in general. I would like input from other over 40 guys(under 40 is good too!)about how to maintain weight loss and break plateaus in weight. I am just a fraction under six feet and have a medium build. I can usually lose weight semi-easily if I put my mind to it and behave at the table. I weighed 225lbs last year and that is WAY too heavy for anyone but a body builder at my height. I dropped 25 lbs. in 2.5 months last fall and kept it that way for ten months. I've adde back ten and hate it. Even so, at 200lbs, I couldwear 34-36" waist jeans(at near waist level too mind you)and run about 46" in the chest. I am not horribly out of proportion but could EASILY do without 20-25 pounds of excess me. In fact, putting on the tenner makes all my clothes tighter than I like at ALL.

Okay, all that stuff aside, weight training has been recommended to me as a near must add-on to my cardio exercise. So this post is relevant to me. I have a two car garage for workout space and that's it. The elliptical is a great machine. I heartily recommend it for those who want the effects of jogging without the impact. I can do 3.5-3.8 miles in 30 minutes at between 150-160 heart rate. More than is recommended by physicians for my age group but if you don't keep cranking up the resistance, it feels like you're not getting a stout workout. I do this every other day and wold like the weight training for keeping up muscle mass in the "off" days. I can't see myself getting carried away with weight training so need to keep it sane.

My main objective is to burn fat and maintain some muscle mass. It's an overused line but it's critical for men over 40 to keep dense muscle mass. It goes a long way toward keeping yourself from looking like a hunched over hobbit when you're in your 60's. I am especially having troulbe breaking the 200 pound mark. This is aggravating. I can just "tell" I would have tons more mobility, agility, and a better looking wardrobe at 180-185Lbs! I try not to live or die by the weight scale because adding dense muscle can mislead you in the weight category. I am trying to also add the seat of the pants factor to this, literally. If your clothes become a good bit looser, then you're making progress. Just a couple of caveats. No pills, $50 a can wonder powders or any of that other rubbish for me. Vitamins are one thing, magic bullets are another. I'd rather take a longer, slower road and keep the weight down. I just need a good place to jump start the weight loss again. BTW, I don't smoke cigarettes(pipes a few times a year), drink in moderation, and have no recurring health issues. Some may have caught the heart surgery comment in the other topic but that's not a big issue. The docs went in an fixed a birth defect. It was called a "valve resection". When I was ten, it was discovered that I had this membrane that had grown in place over my aortic valve. It blocked about 90% of the aorta's passageway. Not good but nothing to be done for it in 1973. They wouldn't touch me. So, in 2000 I made them go in and cut it out. It had given me a murmur that only got worse as the years went by. The membrane forced the outgoing valve to "leak" back into the heart and this wore a bit on the cusps and made the murmur. It's not serious anymore but it's there. Doc says the arteries, valves and heart are in great shape(no plauqe at all)but that it wasn't an invitation to McDonalds! Anyway, I had/have sense enough to keep the sawbones posted about any troubles or miscues along the way. So far, no probs with the elliptical making me dizzy or lightheaded. I've done some real hoofing it on this thing going 3.98 miles in 30 minutes before without any ill effects. Still, I need something to kick start my metabolism again. I would really like to get to 180lbs and get the waist back to an honest 32 inches or so. I know it's going to be hard work but you've only got one body, right? Besides, I want to wind up like elderly gent that lives across the street from me. He's just shy of 90, mows his lawn 3-5 times a week, digs weeds out by hand, walks all over the place, travels with his wife in a fifth wheel camper(btw, he washes this by hand on a ladder whilst holding a bucket of water), and looks like he's maybe 70. A nicer gent you'd never meet and a real stud for an octegenarian.

Regards,Todd

I didn't want to put in my 2cents because of the heart-surgery comment. But now that I've read about the membrane, I can only say wow! If you've managed for so many years with only 10% aorta passage, then I think you're ok for what I'm proposing!

I like the suggestion about the zone diet. I cut out sugar and bread, all soda, and anything with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in it. Worked great, and best of all, immediate changes at the potbelly.

There's also a lot of research showing that eating big meals actually reduces your bone and muscle mass as calcium is diverted to adjust blood acidity levels. I pop a calcium tablet every day, it keeps the metabolism running, and I never feel tired when I do weights. I also drink lots of water and eat oat porridge or cereal when I'm feeling hungry (Kashi wheatabix).

Anyway, I use kettlebells. It burns your metabolism like you wouldn't believe, the hunger of the first week was crazy! Crossfit is also a good program, though it perhaps needs more space to do. I think you'll find that kb muscle doesn't disappear easily. Because you said you'd like a kickstart to your metabolism and you're ok working out pretty hard on the elliptical, I feel comfortable recommending KBs. I started at 25#. Your heart rates shoot thru the roof at first though, so perhaps that should still be a concern.

Edited to include broken ranting:
HFCS bypasses your insulin mechanisms which process sugars, and is primarily used because its incredibly cheap (corn waste) -- avoid completely, this means avoiding most 'health'-food from the big companies too, eg danone yogurt. Fiber and fats are good for you, I would recommend getting at least a library copy of the south beach diet book for a good overview of why you shouldn't go fat-free. Avoid all processed foods if possible because of trans-fats (ie hydrogenated oils) these are probably even worse than HFCS, but if your arteries are in good shape, it's worth betting you don't eat much processed food. Drinking tea (green) can really help your metabolism. Alcohol's pretty bad for you when it comes to exercise and weight. Perhaps try guinness on alternate days? Beer is prolly worse than wine, and dark beer better than light, but beer has tons of sugars (I used to love my beer *sobs*). And tea doesn't cause water loss like coffee, esp if it is decaf tea. Yes drinking water is good, but actually most of your water intake (gasp) comes from food. Tomatoes are 90% water, meat is >70 etc, even dry rice has water in it. Taken separately these facts can seem like the ranting of a mad dieter! :) But for example, the chinese average diet has *more* calories than the american, and they don't (yet) have a major obesity problem..

Todd et al. I've been reading this thread while on vacation at the beach eating and drinking anything and everything. I got home and checked my weight and only gained 3 pounds. WOW. We had pizza, BBQ, coffee cakes and out of the two guys on our trip we drank about cases of beer (we sucked down what was left of my homemade beer within the first two nights).

Anyway, I have heard that some cholestoral lowering drugs have a great side effect, weight loss. I had lost about 10 lbs before the trip, to keep my girlish figure, by eating less portions, not eating so many carbs and becoming more active. I go to the gym a few times a week, but didn't go at the beach. I was suprised that the 3 pounds I gained was small compared to what I ate, I thought I should have gained more.

As a final thought this afternoon, here is a link to a BMI calculator. It shows me as being obese but I have a big frame and muscle weighs more than fat. When I mention the results of the index to people I know they think I'm kidding because I don't look over weight.

JoAnna,
So, are you saying it doesn't know the difference between a fat butt and a firm butt ?? LOL

They're just useless.
Sue

Pretty good advice overall. You definitely want to get active with resistance training. Believe it or not, there are a number of exercises you can do without equipment that will help build muscle and burn calories. I'm 59 years old but honestly in the best shape of my life! And I played football and wrestled back in high school. So you can certainly do it, too. I was a heavy smoker for forty years, but finally quit and decided to get back in shape. I was well over 200 pounds and felt lucky when my resting heart rate would drop to 100 bpm -- I mean while sitting calmly in an easy chair! Today I'm still six feet tall but weigh 175 and have about 10% body fat. I'm no bodybuilder, but you can see my abs! My leg press is over 1,000 pounds, my resting heart rate is closer to 60 and my blood pressure impresses my flight surgeon every two years. Uh, did I mention that I'm 59 years old?

Cardio is helpful but I've really become a believer in resistance training.
And don't discount the nutrition part. Leave that out, and it won't work. Plan to make your exercise and eating changes permanent -- we need lifestyle changes that will stay with us forever.

Something that helped me was a downloadable (yet pritable) book by former fat guy, Tom Venuto called Burn The Fat, Feed the Muscle. It's absolutely common sense, no BS and it really works. I think it's a bout $30 but has a 100% money-back guarantee. Give it a try. You can find it at www.burnthefat.com.

It's sad to stroll through the grocery store and see people 1/2 my age (and less) who can't make it through the aisles without leaning on the shopping cart. But it doesn't have to be that way. We can change regardless of our age, and it all starts with that first decision. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Todd,

As you can see, everyone has something to add to this topic. What worked for one person may not work for you. The "fad" diets, and yes the zone diet, along with South Beach, Atkins and all the rest, are all fads (although I did the zone diet and had great success with it). I would tell you to speak with your doctor about a diet/exercise plan, or give him your thoughts about what you want to do. Remember, the key is to burn more calories than you take in (sounds pretty simple huh). The hard part is to burn more calories than you take in though! With exercise comes increase appetite. Losing weight is hard work and takes time if it is to be done the right way. Remember, you (read that you as all of us) took time to add the weight, so we can't expect to lose the weight overnight. Ideally if you put weight on over 2 years, you should try and lose it over maybe half that time, so 1 year.

A comment about BMI. BMI, combined with the ideal height weight charts, are what insurance companies tend to use to determine what someone should weigh. So take all these free calculators and such with a grain of salt. As was said by another poster. If you can't walk down the isle of the grocery store without passing out or resting, then you need help. With your work on the eliptical I am sure you could pass that test.

Do continue to work out with cardio. Again, I would suggest looking at a Concept 2 rower, incorporates resitance and works out your cardiovascular system at the same time. Rowing is hard work, but any exercise is. There is a chat/forum like this for the rowing community as well. So ample support is out there. But whatever exercise program you settle on, it has to be something that you want to do and will do, or else it is doomed to fail.

Good luck. Accept the fact that we all tend to take steps backwards at times, time off exercise and poor eating (this is what vacations are for right?). As long as your steps forward are more than your steps backwards, you are winning the battle. Be happy with the shape you achieve, even if it is not the shape others achieve.

Darren

Darren,
Your comment about the grocery store reminded me of something my son does and that is only shops the outside aisles of a grocery store. He says most everything in the middle is processed junk.
Sue

19george said:
First, if you haven't already bought equipment for working out, I'd suggest that you not, and join a gym instead. Gyms are great because I think they motivate you more (once you're there of of course) and have a variety of different equipment so you can change up your excersizes (and breach those plateaus of yours).

No to argue (okay so actually I am arguing...), but I've never understood how gyms "motivate" people. I go to them and you've got a half dozen tvs on playing programs I could really care less about, music that I really rather dislike (all the "power jams" or whatever they want to call the standard gym music sucks IMO), and the need to vie for the equipment that I decide to use. To me a decent setup in my house would be far more preferable. I could workout watching a tv show that would help me for get how much time I've spent (personally very useful doing cardio), or listen to music I actually like. But then that is just my opinion.

Sue said:
Darren,
Your comment about the grocery store reminded me of something my son does and that is only shops the outside aisles of a grocery store. He says most everything in the middle is processed junk.
Sue

The gym affiliated with my work several months ago had some fitness resolution thing going and part of it involved eating "whole foods" and thus suggested "Shopping the Perimeter", as they called it. In other words only buying foods from the butcher, fish monger, produce, and bakery sections. I found their expections for the participants to be far too limiting for me. I never could have done everything they expected the participants to do.

Thanks again to all who have replied to this topic. Nichhel, thanks for the kettlebell suggestion. I'll check it out. Yes, HFCS is the godsend of the industry for a cheap sweetener and a curse on the human body. I don't as a habit indulge in too many products that are loaded with this stuff but you always get something that has it in there and you don't notice. I don't drink soda and am thankful for that. Well, maybe a case of 24 per YEAR. It just doesn't interest me.

Art, that's good luck. I notice this myself sometimes. I eat badly for a week or so and don't see it on the scales. At least not right away.

Skyguy, that is fantastic. Your comments are a great help in determining that I should be hitting the weights. I've seen the Burn the Fat page but am happy to have a first person review of it. Thanks.

Darren, I will keep the rower in mind. I've heard these things really kick arse for exercise.

Sue and the other ladies who responded. Thank you too.

I thought I might add some more about the heart surgery. Yes, it hurts like well... you know. My ribs were sore(mostly in the back because of the compression from opening the chest)for a good two weeks. My condition was weird. The sawbones says it happens to about one in one million people so I figure that only about 300 of us are in the U.S. I only mention this because my condition was congenital. A pure birth defect. A membrane grew before birth over the aortic valve. A normal sized adult male's aora is about 1 inch across. I had about .875" covered by this membrane. If it would have grown all the way across, of course we wouldn't be having this conversation now! Any of you guys with blood pressure problems, cholesterol or whatever, PLEASE talk to your doctor before getting into any of this stuff. I was fortunate. Even after 37 years of eating BADLY, I had no plaque in the arteries, bp was 120/70, and triglycerides were under 75. So genetic luck helped me in one respect. I shudder to think of what would have happened to me if I'd have been prone to plaque build up. I still don't take it for granted that it couldn't start building up. Okay, so not to belabour the point but don't ASSUME anything about your cardio pulmonary health. ASK YOUR DOCTOR.

Regards,Todd

Todd,

I know that this seems very dumbed down but it really is sorta eat less move more. Think of weight as your bank account the more you put in the more you have if you don't take any out.

I'll second the Abs Diet. It's not so much fad as it is common sense and the workouts are very good. It talks about portion control, eliminating soda HFCS,
eating around the perimeter of the supermarket, protein intake and muscle building and fat burning techniques.

Good luck!!!

Oh, well I forgot to mention that when I talked to my Doctor about the BMI calculator, she said to ignore it and never use it as a guide to weight issues. As Joanna said, it doesn't tell the difference between muscle and fat, and since muscle weighs more than fat, if you happen to be more muscular than fat, it will show you overweight every time.

I would still like to lose 30 to 40 pounds or more but I think I have hit a wall.
Although my pants are now very loose due to the fat being gone, the muscle I have built up now shows up as being overweight, but my doctor says I'm not because of my frame.

Someone mentioned earlier a very simple formula, burn more calories than you take in as the way to lose weight.

I wish it was that simple.

fuerein said:
No to argue (okay so actually I am arguing...), but I've never understood how gyms "motivate" people. I go to them and you've got a half dozen tvs on playing programs I could really care less about, music that I really rather dislike (all the "power jams" or whatever they want to call the standard gym music sucks IMO), and the need to vie for the equipment that I decide to use. To me a decent setup in my house would be far more preferable. I could workout watching a tv show that would help me for get how much time I've spent (personally very useful doing cardio), or listen to music I actually like. But then that is just my opinion.

The gym affiliated with my work several months ago had some fitness resolution thing going and part of it involved eating "whole foods" and thus suggested "Shopping the Perimeter", as they called it. In other words only buying foods from the butcher, fish monger, produce, and bakery sections. I found their expections for the participants to be far too limiting for me. I never could have done everything they expected the participants to do.

I would not say you are arguing, I too dislike the type of music in the gym we go to, the "style" is not the same as the kinds of people working out there at the times I and my wife go (if you can read into that statement, fine, if not....PM me). However, I do like a lot of the aspects of it, they do happen to have multiple tv's and on each machine, you can "plug in" and listen to what ever TV channel you want. They also have a variety of machines to choose from, maybe 5 or 6 different name brands of the same machines, steps, treadmills, elliptical, etc....same with the weight machines. It's a very large place to hold all of this equipment, and they also have a cafe which sells only healthy foods and drinks. They also have contests every few months or so for the newbies that want to lose their extra weight and I think that helps motivate them and sometimes us when we jump into the program too.

They also have 5 racquetball courts and since I have to be at work at 5:30 am and so does the guy I usually play raquetball with, we pretty much have the whole place to ourselves. And the gym is open 24 hours a day too.....at all 6 locations, very convenient!!

225 lbs is not overweight for someone 6ft.I am 5ft 10 and I weigh about 220.I do lift weights 3X a week.I can manipulate my weight quite easily.I at one time when I was REALLY lifting kept my weight around 240 lbs.I can also go down to around 200, but I like to keep a little extra on my bones...:biggrin: ....Just keep the weight off of your gut and you will be ok.Carbs are the biggest spare tire maker....Adam

I'm young, 25, but myself and a co-worker (who is around 37) went on a Ketogenic Diet briefly, and it worked out pretty well for about 2 months. It included a lot of meats, and protein powders, but after the 2 months were up, I think he had lost 22lbs, and I had lost 12-15lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0967145600?v=glance

That was the book I used, and it was all over pretty good. I myself prefer to just hit the gym alot more, but it all depends on what works for you.

-Rob Berthold

Don't underestimate the benefits of walking. Everyone describes me as skinny at 53.

Last year I was away from the health club for a week and walked for an hour every day instead. I was surprised to lose an inch off my waist. I also can walk when I am too tired or lazy for intense exercise.

I guess carrying just a few extra pounds ratchets up the workload from walking. I have also heard that cold pool water raises your "fat thermostat" which seems plausible and consistent with my experience.

If you have problems with walking or running I have had great results with gadgets called Aquajogger or Water Walker; good legwork in the pool with no impact. You do need a pool that is deeper than 5 feet or so.

Good luck and congratulations on taking ownership. I see guys at the gym in their sixties who look pretty fit and some older people who are pretty mobile so go for it!

I posted this in AndrewWiggin's thread in The Clubhouse.

There is not much difference between losing weight in your 40's or losing weight in your 20's. The difference is that you might not be able to work out as intensely and your metabolism is likely a little slower. It is still pretty basic. Here is what I said in the other thread:

I'm going to give you some very general advice, because I don't believe in tips and tricks.

Being in good shape, at a healthy weight, is a lifestyle choice. It's not a fad or a fluke thing. People misunderstand this and think that the current "in" diet plan, whatever it is, is the answer. They do that, lose some weight and then put it all back on again. Or they buy some ridiculous exercise machine and think that they're going to look like the models in the instruction booklet by doing the exercises a couple of times. That is my introductory spiel.

The "trick" is to eat healthy and eat in moderation. Avoid junk food. Every now and then you can have something, but as a whole it is best to avoid it. Eat whole grains, wheat breads, fruits and vegetables and lean meat. That is, for the most part, chicken, fish and very lean beef or pork. Eating healthy is really just as important as eating less. And if you eat healthy foods, you will find that you'll eat less, because they are generally more filling than the crap in plastic bags. It helps if you enjoy what you're eating. For snacks, I eat fruit - strawberries, peaches, mangos and grapes are terrific substitutes for chips or sugary foods. Grapes are a personal favorite. Quaker Oats' Rice Cakes are another favorite snack. They come in a variety of flavors. My favorite is White Cheddar.

For exercise, again, it's not that complicated. You should try and do some cardio three or four times a week. If you can't do four times, do it three times, if you can't do it three, try to to do it twice. Try to do it at least three times, but shoot for four. Do it for at least 20 minutes, but try for 45. It should be an activity that is fairly vigorous and it should be one you enjoy. Again, it is best if it's something you like, that way you look forward to it, or at least don't dread it. I like running. Biking, riding an exercise bike, an elliptical machine, dancing, swimming, jumping rope, etc. are other options.

You should also do some strength training several times a week. Some guys get really detailed about this sort of thing. They have all sorts of very elaborate routines. Personally, when I lifted weights, I just found exercises on the Internet and did them. Now I use resistance bands (Google them) and that works fine for me, since I don't want to be Captain Muscles; and it is more affordable than joining a gym. I am going to let someone else advise you more in this area, as I have never really been that structured about weight training/strength training. I will tell you that when I lifted weights and now with my resistance band, I do it three days a week: one day is for chest, shoulders and triceps; one day is for back and biceps; and one day is for leg exercises.

Once again, the two keys are that (1) this is a lifestyle choice and (2) if you enjoy doing it, it's a positive thing and not a chore. Think of it like the difference between shaving with an electric and using your brush and straight or DE razor. An activity that was a task became a pleasure. Yeah, there are days when it's tough to get out there to run, but I ALWAYS am glad I did it after I've finished. Always.

Dedication.

I am now adding that a lot of Websites or routines on the Internet are dedicated towards getting you in the sort of shape to work as a fitness model. This is not at all a bad thing. There's nothing wrong with being cut and muscular. However, if you are heavy, your first goal should be losing weight, not turning yourself into Brad Pitt in Fight Club. Once you lose weight and are more comfortable and confident than you can start thinking about really getting into it. If you tackle too much at once, you're likely to get intimidated.

Wow - quite the thread resurrection!

I went from about 250 lbs. to 150 lbs. It's all about the calories. Figure out how much you use and short yourself. For a detailed description, Google the Hacker's Diet or pick up Carol Lay's "The Big Skinny."

With calorie restriction, weight comes off mathematically. I tried several diets and exercise routines, but only counting calories took off the weight and kept it off. Everything else provided brief results, but nothing really worked until I kept track of the calories.

It's been two years so far and the weight has stayed off. I don't mind my new diet. It took some getting used to, but is now routine and normal. I don't muss the old foods much, either. I actually look forward to salads, vegetables and love drinking water.

Well, talk about thread resurrection! This month the thread is four years old. I am now 47. Time flies. Here is where it stands and I am none too happy. First up I kept the 25 pounds off for quite awhile. As mentioned in the other thread I put about ten back on but it stayed that way for a good while. Then about two years ago I put on weight like I have NEVER put it on before. I topped out at just under 250 pounds!

I was really down and just flat out ticked off. Okay boyo, time to get to it. And I did. I dropped exactly thirty pounds in two and a half months last summer. Nothing crazy, just seriously limiting caloric intake. I also got back on the elliptical trainer for the cardio it was a good decision. I could REALLY tell how out of shape I had become. So this went pretty good but damned if I didn't notice I have picked up ten or so these last months. So I hover around 230 and I am still mad. To be fair, when I eat poorly like I did I should weigh 400 pounds. I tell you I can put away food when I want to. Anyway, back to it. I am just flat out tired of being fat. In all honesty I am one of those people who can kind of conceal it a bit. Unlike most guys with no arse who carry it all as a beer belly, I put on weight uniformly so I don't look completely out of proportion. Still, no one would call me slim! I can assure you all the advise in this thread will be keyed on. Particularly the resistance training. It was roundly criticised in the seventies and eighties and now it seems you shouldn't do without it. I will get this done. I just have to get it mentally first.

BTW, I agree with those who say it is a lifestyle. A lady at our church sponsors a healthy lifestyle class and it is quite helpful about healthy living. Both physically and spiritually. Thanks again for bringing my old ramblings to the fore.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom