What's new

Wedding shoes recommendations

Yeah we'll be in tuxedos but with a black straight tie. The venue is pretty fancy but i think we're saying 'cocktail attire' not full black tie or white tie for the guests. I'm reading that patent is optional now-a-days but i still feel like if you're going to wear a tux you need high gloss. bah. I'm going to head over to the AE outlet store this weekend and test out some options. I'll report back with pics

If your not wearing them to the office everyday. I would go two hundred or less on some nice high polished leather. Save the other three hundred for my rainy day marriage fund. If you feel the high gloss patent leather looks better with the tux, renting them may be the better alternative.

Last edited:
yeah i wear jeans, polo, and redwing boots to the office. rarely do i wear dress shoes but i've recently started changing that. I do need a pair of black dress shoes though.

You can't go wrong with the high end polish on great leather shoes-I'm an AE guy, and Park Avenues are worth it. I can't kill these things, been wearing them for years. You'll look great no matter what-it's your wedding day. Best to you and the soon to be missus

...and because i dont wear them daily, they'll last a loooong time which will be kinda cool being able to wear your wedding shoes for your anniversaries

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
That looks good but I don't so much like the mirror polish strictly limited to just the toe cap. You should blend it into the rest if the shoe, and but a high (but not mirror) shine on the whole deal.

As for the patent vs. polish debate, I think patent might be too much. Unless you're some uber rich family, a "black tie" wedding will probably have a fair bit of informal elements. The current style is that a highly polished dress shoe can be even better than patent leather because it shows that you actually put effort into the outfit, instead of just buying a shoe.

Really though, if you don't already own a quality pair of black dress shoes, don't waste money on patent leather. Far too specific for most people.

+1

So i went to the Allen Edmonds outlet store and made out like a bandit. A lot of 40% off "factory seconds" which i'm guessing pretty much means it had a scuff or a stitch that wasn't perfect etc but i honestly cant find the flaw. None the less, I came home with 3 pairs of shoes (with trees), 2 belts, and a pair of socks. Pics tomorrow, too tired tonight.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So i went to the Allen Edmonds outlet store and made out like a bandit. A lot of 40% off "factory seconds" which i'm guessing pretty much means it had a scuff or a stitch that wasn't perfect etc but i honestly cant find the flaw. None the less, I came home with 3 pairs of shoes (with trees), 2 belts, and a pair of socks. Pics tomorrow, too tired tonight.
Whoop whoooop! Now that's a score. Get those pics up! :thumbup:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Congrats on the new shoes and new bride.

As for the patent vs. polish debate, I think patent might be too much. Unless you're some uber rich family, a "black tie" wedding will probably have a fair bit of informal elements. The current style is that a highly polished dress shoe can be even better than patent leather because it shows that you actually put effort into the outfit, instead of just buying a shoe.

Really though, if you don't already own a quality pair of black dress shoes, don't waste money on patent leather. Far too specific for most people.

Agreed.

I was going to say that, and L-E saved me the trouble of typing it out.

Interesting. AE had 40% off Independence seconds on July 4 weekend, maybe the store extended it for you. Either way, AE at 40% off seconds is a great deal!

Top Bottom