What's new

Trouser question 🤔

Hello all. I bought this 3 button sport jacket some years back and don't wear it often . When I do wear it I always pair it with black trousers. What's your thoughts on going with a grey trouser? If yes would you go, light color medium or dark grey? Or do you suggest sticking with the black? Or perhaps another color. Please and thank you. 20240211_195719.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My first choice would be some shade of brown. Just saying "brown" or "gray" doesn't necessarily end in a good match, but I find the shades that work (or don't work) are pretty obvious when you put them next to each other. It would work well with nice jeans - obviously depending on the occasion and venue.

If you're shopping be sure to take the jacket with you. I suspect you might find quite a few pairs of pants that look good with that jacket. Personally, I like some contrast and dislike a color that's almost the same shade.

Dark gray would definitely work. Navy blue as well. The jacket looks like it has enough texture that pairing it with dark wash jeans is an option (black jeans, too).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is one more casual than the other?

Possibly, although cut and colour probably make more of a difference. Think of needle cords as being kind of between a regular corduroy trouser, and chinos, and you won't be far off.

The jumbo cords I think are generally considered the most casual, then regular corduroy, then needle cords. That's assuming cut and colour are equal. However, I have a pair of charcoal jumbo cords, which I consider quite dressy. If paired with a well polished black plain derby/brogue, and good shirt, they do dress up very well indeed.

Personally though, in this instance, I think that jumbo cords, and possibly regular cords, might look too "heavy" against the jacket in the opening post. I think the texture of a needle cord would work quite well against them though. So less about formality convention, and more about balancing fabic weights.

First, I want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and thoughts with me.
Let's address material please. I will say that there's no way that I can spend $300+ on a single pair of trousers, without my bride giving me the boot. I will pay for quality of course, but I don't have to have " the best " ( I dislike that term ). A material that keeps popping up is Gabardine , which honestly I am ignorant to. So if someone wants to school me on said material go for it. I would like to wear them in any season though. Please and thank you as always 😀

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I will say that there's no way that I can spend $300+ on a single pair of trousers, without my bride giving me the boot.

A material that keeps popping up is Gabardine

I'm confused. Nobody seems to have mentioned gabardine (which I thought was a garment anyway), and nobody has made any super spend suggestions.

Jeans, chinos, or needle cords (medium weight fabrics), in tan/stone/natural, olive green or maybe a lighter green, or a mid to navy blue, would probably all work (I think that's covered everyone's suggestions). Apply your own budget and brand preferences.

Top Bottom