What's new

Weber just arrived -- very mixed reaction

The two-tone look is sort of a Weber trademark. Personally, I think the DLC head makes a better contrast with the shiny handle. As for the handle's weight, there's no denying it: the bulldog is heavy. It's a feature you may come to like -- or not; time will tell. For me, the heft combined with the deep knurling is satisfying in the hand. I usually use it with a Fatip head, though. The mildness of the Weber head is a bit frustrating for me -- though it does have the virtue of being foolproof.

Last edited:
A heavier handle makes bloodless shaving easier. A lightweight handle makes a razor head-heavy, which requires a very gentle touch. In addition, most lightweight handles are short, which also makes it harder to control the pressure applied to the skin. A heavier handle moves the center of gravity back so that the head isn't as heavy and therefore easier to control. On the other hand, smaller, lighter handles are easier to maneuver.

A heavier handle makes bloodless shaving easier. A lightweight handle makes a razor head-heavy, which requires a very gentle touch. In addition, most lightweight handles are short, which also makes it harder to control the pressure applied to the skin. A heavier handle moves the center of gravity back so that the head isn't as heavy and therefore easier to control. On the other hand, smaller, lighter handles are easier to maneuver.

+1. It's easier to modulate the pressure applied at the head in small increments with the weight of a heavier handle counterbalancing i.e. an emphasized fulcrum effect

+1. It's easier to modulate the pressure applied at the head in small increments with the weight of a heavier handle counterbalancing i.e. an emphasized fulcrum effect

Yes, this is a key point. A light maneuverable handle has its drawbacks, especially when paired with a heavy aggressive head, such as the New York Shaving Company Mariner or the R41. One false move and -- slice! (As I know from hard experience.) A heavy aggressive head needs a heavy handle to counterbalance it. This is not as much of a consideration with the Weber head, which is mild, but some people still like the extra ballast.

I can certainly appreciate comtrol issues and counterbalancing of a heavy handle. I'm just finding that this is too much weight. For me, a longer handle feels a lot better in this capacity. I may just get the classic one from Weber to try out.

Sounds like you had a bad day on your first try with the webber :eek:/

Don't give up yet, give your face a rest the go at it again, For me its a fine shaver, Awesome.

I have the ARC head and both Weber handles, Classic and Bulldog. I get excellent shaves with both :eek:)

Last edited:
I can certainly appreciate comtrol issues and counterbalancing of a heavy handle. I'm just finding that this is too much weight. For me, a longer handle feels a lot better in this capacity. I may just get the classic one from Weber to try out.

That may be a good move for you. As much as I like the Weber Bulldog, I like the Classic even better. It has heft, for sure, but the longer length makes it feel lighter than its actual weight, IMO. I, just this minute, bought one of the new Classics with the shiny finish. I'm relieved to hear that they haven't given up on this design. I never thought I'd ever want or need such a long handle until I tried the Classic.

Anthony I prefer heavy handles. The biggest reason for me is that I literally let the weight of the razor do the work. I apply no pressure at all. I don't know if its proven and I don't have any facts to back it up, but in my opinion weight adds to the aggressiveness/efficiency of the razor. I also seem to have more control with a heavier handle.
+1. I have the DLC with the new handle and have yet to experience a less than bbs shave. I've used the Astras that came with, as well as Sharks. Sped through a shave yesterday with some MWF. Awesome shaver. ATG on the neck without cringing. The weight really assists in the excellent results, IMHO.

+1 heavy handles are my preffered setup..... as far as the head handle contrast I went for the black head offering out of weber and love the look on my bulldog handle.

I am guessing the length is the bigger issue here, not the weight. I can't stand the short "bulldog" style handles...they just don't work for me. However, I really like the Tradere handle which is about as heavy, but much longer. My favorite handle by a long shot. I use it on a variety of razors including my Weber DLC, my EJ89 and my Muhle R41. It won't solve the finish matching issue, but that doesn't really bother me.

I am guessing the length is the bigger issue here, not the weight. I can't stand the short "bulldog" style handles...they just don't work for me. However, I really like the Tradere handle which is about as heavy, but much longer. My favorite handle by a long shot. I use it on a variety of razors including my Weber DLC, my EJ89 and my Muhle R41.

OK, I feel vindicated now ;) Where can I get this Tradere handle?

There is something special about this Weber head. Not aggerssive but somehow producing very nice shaves.

I too rec'd my dlc today and purchased it with both the bulldog (shorter/heavier) and classic handle. I prefer heavier handles. My first merkur open comb had such a light handle that I ditched it and bought a weber bulldog a few weeks back and replaced it with that. I haven't used the dlc yet but am going to tomorrow am. I'm hoping it's at least as efficient as my ej de89??
Question for you Anthony_MQ...are you going to not use the bulldog handle?? If not, you should post it as I'm sure you'd have no problem selling it. Good luck!!

Question for you Anthony_MQ...are you going to not use the bulldog handle?? If not, you should post it as I'm sure you'd have no problem selling it. Good luck!!

I will probably sell it, but I may give the thing another try of two first. I actually have quite a few things to sell--just need to set aside some time to photograph them.

To each their own I guess. I personally find the bulldog handle ideal: My hands are pretty shaky in the morning due to low blood sugar, and the heavy handle steadies my hand considerably.

Top Bottom