What's new

We need to use it or possibly lose it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Hello to all out here in The Great Southern Land. With some Forum upgrades and exciting changes happening, there has to be some room made for these changes to occur. We have seen one of the new changes with the New Badger and Blade weekly newsletter which hopefully most of us have had a chance to read. There is very little traffic happening here in this forum at the moment. Forums with little to no traffic are being looked at and could possibly disappear to make space for future developments. I would not like that to happen but it may occur. I am posting this so that we have a chance of keeping this forum going by increasing our presence in The Great Southern Land. It will be up to us to keep The Great Southern Land open for business. As the thread title says “We need to use it, or possibly lose it”.
Andrew.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It doesn't have to be a new thread, just replying to existing threads should do. Admin just need to see relevant activity.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
B&B has always operated under a kind of reverse Field of Dreams philosophy - If they come, we will build it.
Rather than creating a forum and hope people use it.
This means the opposite is true - if no one comes, it gets unbuilt.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The more I think about it, the more I am inclined towards dispensing with this sub-forum.

Sure, it is nice to have a place where Kiwis and Aussies of B&B can get together. After all, we're are a weird mob. Should we really need our own sub-forum? B&B is getting to where it is very much an international Forum.

Almost all threads in this sub-forum would be quite at home in the main Forum.

The whole of B&B is a weird mob. Arguably.

I hope it it not a rude question, but is there something distinctive about shaving while in the land of Huntsman spiders and/or Lord of the Rings sets?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The more I think about it, the more I am inclined towards dispensing with this sub-forum.

Sure, it is nice to have a place where Kiwis and Aussies of B&B can get together. After all, we're are a weird mob. Should we really need our own sub-forum? B&B is getting to where it is very much an international Forum.

Almost all threads in this sub-forum would be quite at home in the main Forum.
There's no "Western Europe Land" forum or "Southern Asia Land" forum, so I would agree with you.
This forum exists only because it was a hold over from when the "Groups" went away many years ago.

Legion

Staff member
The whole of B&B is a weird mob. Arguably.

I hope it it not a rude question, but is there something distinctive about shaving while in the land of Huntsman spiders and/or Lord of the Rings sets?
Not a rude question at all.

I think this section sprang from the fact that so many of the products and services talked about in the main threads of the forum are specifically related to north America, and may not be available in other parts of the world, or at least not easily.

For example, if I had a broken fountain pen and I asked where I should get it repaired I would get a dozen answers, all based in the US. If I started a thread asking where can I get a pen repaired in Melbourne, then I would get nothing, mainly because, if there is anyone who had an answer, they did notice the thread in amongst all the rest. It was kind of a way to coral all the location based info into one place.

It was never intended to duplicate info in the other sections. No "Aussie shave of the day", or anything like that. More talk about local vendors, products, services and interest items, which would probably be totally irrelevant to the rest of the forum.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I bought some shaving gear off one of the vendors here on the forum from the USA. In the end I had to pay priority international shipping. Not the vendors fault, he tried to post it but was told it had to go priority. He offered me a refund as the cost of priority international shipping was just as much as the cost of the goods. I wanted the stuff so I paid up and he posted the goods. They have not been seen anywhere since the 17 of September. The last tracking advice tells me that it is heading to the destination but it was last seen at the Chicago International Mail Centre on the 17 of September. I will get a refund in the end if the goods don’t turn up as the Vendor is a top notch vendor. The only trouble is, is that if he does not get the goods back to at least re-sell then he is out of pocket and he should not be. The cost of the Australian dollar compared to the American dollar is also getting prohibitive. I think at the moment we are around $0.71 cents compared to the US $1.00.

Legion

Staff member
I bought some shaving gear off one of the vendors here on the forum from the USA. In the end I had to pay priority international shipping. Not the vendors fault, he tried to post it but was told it had to go priority. He offered me a refund as the cost of priority international shipping was just as much as the cost of the goods. I wanted the stuff so I paid up and he posted the goods. They have not been seen anywhere since the 17 of September. The last tracking advice tells me that it is heading to the destination but it was last seen at the Chicago International Mail Centre on the 17 of September. I will get a refund in the end if the goods don’t turn up as the Vendor is a top notch vendor. The only trouble is, is that if he does not get the goods back to at least re-sell then he is out of pocket and he should not be. The cost of the Australian dollar compared to the American dollar is also getting prohibitive. I think at the moment we are around $0.71 cents compared to the US $1.00.
Sorry to hear that. If I'd known I could have saved you the grief. Priority shipping makes no difference. There are literally no planes for it to be put on.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Sorry to hear that. If I'd known I could have saved you the grief. Priority shipping makes no difference. There are literally no planes for it to be put on.
There are passenger flights from the US to AU (multiple per day but not direct). It's just that USPS won't use them. DHL and FedEx are also still operating between the US and AU (although not direct or cheap).

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
There's no "Western Europe Land" forum or "Southern Asia Land" forum, so I would agree with you.
This forum exists only because it was a hold over from when the "Groups" went away many years ago.
Texas could also be considered the "Great Southern Land".

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
There are passenger flights from the US to AU (multiple per day but not direct). It's just that USPS won't use them. DHL and FedEx are also still operating between the US and AU (although not direct or cheap).
Looks like I could pick up some spending money by becoming a shave goods mule/courier.....

I promise, if I EVER get to fulfill my Dad's dream of MOVING to Australia, I will bring a crate full of goodies!

Top Bottom