What's new

Watch Wearing

Do you sport a watch?

• I wear a watch

• I don't wear a watch

• I use another personal timepiece

Results are only viewable after voting.
full

If I was going to wear something again it would be along the lines of this Baume & Mercer. Very elegant, thin and unobtrusive. Nice watch.

btw I just took a closer look at slcsteve's avatar. Funny stuff :lol:.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a number of watches over the years and still own a few "better" watches but Seiko's and similar are just fine for me at this point in my life. I'm past middle age and remaining time is more important to than current time.

Tempus fugit

:001_smile

I wear a watch for practical purposes and for style. I don't feel properly dressed without a watch. Some feel encumbered with a watch on; I feel encumbered with a cell phone on my waist. Now that's something I don't get.

This is my watch for formal events: Omega De Ville Co-Axial GMT no. 4533.31. I very rarely wear it. It's in storage with other valuables.
proxy.php

This is my everyday watch: Pulsar PJN247. I need to get it cleaned up. I couldn't get the color balance right for the photo. It's a metallic, dark charcoal.
proxy.php

I wear a watch for practical purposes and for style. I don't feel properly dressed without a watch. Some feel encumbered with a watch on; I feel encumbered with a cell phone on my waist. Now that's something I don't get.

+1

I refuse to wear a cell phone on my belt. If I have to have one with me, I will carry it in my hand or in my shirt pocket. But, the day I hang one on my belt, please shoot me!

Tim

It is the next great generational divide. Notice how few young folks are actually wearing watches. The only ones that do are runners, bicyclists, and tri-athletes.

I'm so far to the older side of that divide that if I want to know what time it is while I'm using a computer or cell phone, I look at my wristwatch.

always had kiddie watches untill i got a camel trophey in high school (citizen mechanics), when i got a job, i bought myself a tissot TXL chrono, which was lost, meanwhile i got my fathers omega seamaster as a gift, and a hamilton x-wind to replace the tissot,

so for now, hamilton as a day to day use watch, and the omega for special occasions,

I had a Rolex watch that was stolen from me by a kid in my neighborhood. It was a really rough neighborhood and my family moved out of it the following year. I knew who stole the watch and I always prayed that I'd see him again. If he knew what was good for him, he should've been praying that I didn't. That's when my fascination with guns started.. :quickdraw

If I was going to wear something again it would be along the lines of this Baume & Mercer. Very elegant, thin and unobtrusive. Nice watch.

btw I just took a closer look at slcsteve's avatar. Funny stuff :lol:.

It is a lovely watch (and it keeps better time than the Rolex). For better or worse, it sees less use than the Rolex. The Submariner is built like a tank and virtually indestructable; I don't have to worry about damaging it. Not entirely sure that I can without being damaged myself!

I am currently wearing/using four different watches. Bear in mind I have a fierce allergy to nickle. Therefore I favor pocket watches. (In no particular order):

Wrist Watches
Seiko Military. Self winding (automatic) with Arabic Numerals and Day/Date. Used with a Velcro wrist strap.
Citizen Eco Drive. Solar Powered/Battery with Day/Date, timer, alarm. Titanium case and titanium wrist strap.

Pocket watches.
Russian (CCCP) RAKETA Russian pocket Watch 24 hour dial, Arabic numerals with yellow face. Stem wind.
Swiss Army Pocket Watch with date. Arabic Numerals. Battery operated.,
Elgin Pocket Watch (1938). Roman Numerals. Stem wind.

My sister is also allergic to nickel...have you ever tried putting clear nail polish on the parts that touch your skin? It works for my sister...

Here is my everyday watch (hotlinked for her pleasure, of course).

proxy.php

Seiko "Black Monster". I like it, and it is classy and beautiful. It is, to me however, big for my wrist. So I am looking with no enthusiasm whatsoever for a vintage Omega Seamaster.

I've worn a watch almost continuously since my 6th birthday when I was given my first watch having learned to tell the time a while earlier. These days, most of the time I wear a stainless steel Citizen Nighthawk, big and chunky, water resistant to 200m, solar powered, with a circular slide rule around the bezel.

On special occasions I wear my father's old Breitling Navitimer, which was a birthday present to him from my mother around 1973 or '74. The scary bit is that when I had it overhauled last year by Breitling, it cost about three times the original purchase price of the watch...

For a few years in the late 80s and early 90s I wore the Breitling all the time, but then two things happened: first, something went sproing internally and it had to be repaired, and second, when I got it back I had it valued for insurance purposes - and suddenly realised that its replacement value (monetary, not counting the sentimental value which is priceless) was well in excess of £1000 and therefore likely to be a target for undesirables.

Day to day I alternate between an Invicta (2877) and Yves Delors which I can't seem to find online (it was given to me by my parents while they were living in Tunisia...)

proxy.php

And for special occasions use this Omega Sea Master:

proxy.php

OldSaw

The wife's investment
+1

I refuse to wear a cell phone on my belt. If I have to have one with me, I will carry it in my hand or in my shirt pocket. But, the day I hang one on my belt, please shoot me!

Tim

So what are you afraid of? Why is the pocket protector look preferred over the techno-belt look?

So what are you afraid of? Why is the pocket protector look preferred over the techno-belt look?

I just see so many people with a cellphone on their belts that I can't stand it. Some people have two cellphones and a pager. Some people even have two cellphones, a pager, and a Blackberry. It is so gooberish that I don't want to be like them.

I usually just carry it in my hand, but if I have to put it somewhere for a minute, I put it in my shirt pocket. If it looks bad, I'm sorry. At least I don't look like a goober with a phone on my belt. :tongue:

Tim

I just see so many people with a cellphone on their belts that I can't stand it. Some people have two cellphones and a pager. Some people even have two cellphones, a pager, and a Blackberry. It is so gooberish that I don't want to be like them.

I usually just carry it in my hand, but if I have to put it somewhere for a minute, I put it in my shirt pocket. If it looks bad, I'm sorry. At least I don't look like a goober with a phone on my belt. :tongue:

Tim

I carry a cell-phone on my belt. After keeping it in my pants pocket for about a year, I found that using a belt-clip is much more comfortable ... I just wish I could find a clip that didn't keep breaking on me. I don't care if it makes me look "gooberish."

Ironically, I get very little phone use out of it. Since I don't wear a watch, I carry it mainly so I know what time it is.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I carry a cell-phone on my belt. After keeping it in my pants pocket for about a year, I found that using a belt-clip is much more comfortable ... I just wish I could find a clip that didn't keep breaking on me. I don't care if it makes me look "gooberish."

Ironically, I get very little phone use out of it. Since I don't wear a watch, I carry it mainly so I know what time it is.

We should probably start a new thread for this. I have a heavy duty nylon belt pouch that I got at Grainger. They have several sizes. It is about the only one that works well with my LG Scoop.

I got a Seiko 5 for my 21 Birthday and have been wearing that ever since. I have recent taken an interest in some older watches and picked up this:
proxy.php

It needs a longer band (on the last hole).

and also picked up this:

proxy.php

Top Bottom