What's new

The Dick Tracy Two-Way Wrist Radio

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Growing up in the 1940s and 1950s, the neatest toy out there was a Dick Tracy Two-Way wrist radio. There were several different types available; ones that did nothing but looked great, ones with a crystal radio that let you hear AM stations if you ran an antenna up your sleeve, ones that let you talk to a friend as long as there was a wire connecting the two wrist radios and by the 1960s even ones that really did broadcast but had a range about like Bluetooth today and required an additional receiver belt pack and a really big antenna (but it would let you talk to your friend while riding bikes).

I never had any of them.

I was deprived as well as depraved.

But finally I can have my very own Dick Tracy Two-Way Wrist Radio and it's even better than the one Detective Tracy had. Mine can make private calls and not just broadcast calls but I can still Reply All if I really want to. It will get radio signals, play music, give me directions, tell time, check the weather, monitor my heart, keep track of my exercise, handle my schedule and can change personalities faster than an extra from Central Casting.

Unfortunately, like Dick Tracy I'm getting old. And every once in awhile suffer from vertigo and I decided I really needed a way to reach out for help in an emergency. Sure, I have a cell phone and home phone and computers but when I had a really bad vertigo attack a few months ago there was simply no possible way I was going to be able to get to them. But I do always wear a watch and today there are standalone watches that use a SIM card and can have their own phone line so that even if I am away from the cell phone I am still not cut off from lines of communication.

I looked around to see what was out there and found it is an amazing variety now available ranging in price from under $50.00 to several hundreds of dollars. I ended up going with a Samsung Gear S3 since it looked like a traditional watch.

proxy.php

It has all the Smart Watch functions and paired with all the cell phones I tested; an old Windows phone, LG K20, Samsung S4 & S5 and even a J1. The Windows phone and J1 only paired for phone calls but with the others all the functionality worked.

Later I had a chance to pickup an older Samsung Gear S so jumped on it. And I like the Gear S even more than the S3. It's bigger and easier to read for old farts like me and only has on button which helps me remember what to push.

proxy.php

So are there other kids out there who finally got their Dick Tracy Two-Way Wrist Radio?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Cool, but I'm waiting for the 2-way Wrist TV. I think Tracy had one in the '60s

I've had a gear S2 for over a year.

It is the stand-alone cell phone + Bluetooth

Got it when I pre ordered the 8 S+ phone.

Been wearing it every day.

proxy.php

Per my hybrid watch thread I don't think I want a chunky piece that mirrors what my smartphone already does. They do seem to be getting better even while there is apparently less interest but the Skagen offers enough function I think for me. "Too many notes" I think in going full Android Wear. I don't want to know what my hearbeat is at all times.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Per my hybrid watch thread I don't think I want a chunky piece that mirrors what my smartphone already does. They do seem to be getting better even while there is apparently less interest but the Skagen offers enough function I think for me. "Too many notes" I think in going full Android Wear. I don't want to know what my hearbeat is at all times.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I don't always have my cell phone but I always wear my watch. It's the ability to make phone calls even if I forgot my cell phone or cannot get to it that I needed.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Cool, but I'm waiting for the 2-way Wrist TV. I think Tracy had one in the '60s
I’m still waiting on my flying car. Of course, most drivers can’t handle 2 dimensions- I would hate to see what happens when a third is brought in. :)

I have the Gear S3 and it is a great watch with LOTS of functionality. I ended up buying a Huwaei watch to wear when dressed up (let's face it, the Gear has no place with a suit and tie).

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have the Gear S3 and it is a great watch with LOTS of functionality. I ended up buying a Huwaei watch to wear when dressed up (let's face it, the Gear has no place with a suit and tie).
Been several decades since I had to wear a suit and tie so that is not an issue. But when I did I never worried whether or not my watch was appropriate.

Top Bottom