What's new

Want a new Simpsons Chubby: In Best or 2 Band?

With all the talk about how great the Chubby is, I was thinking of trying one out. I have haven't tried any Simpsons yet. Is the Best good enough or is the 2 Bander worth the extra money? Thanks

Simpson's Best is a wonderful grade of hair and 2-Band is also terrific (probably my favourite) but they provide very different feels. I find that brushes in 2-Band tend to feel smaller on the face because the knot doesn't bloom as much as the other hair grades and that suits me (I am a soap shaver who lathers on the face).

Simpson's Best is a wonderful grade of hair and 2-Band is also terrific (probably my favourite) but they provide very different feels. I find that brushes in 2-Band tend to feel smaller on the face because the knot doesn't bloom as much as the other hair grades and that suits me (I am a soap shaver who lathers on the face).

Exactly this!:thumbup: Two band is my favorite, as well. It's a stiffer hair (hence the lesser amount of bloom) and thicker so while the weight of hair in the two brushes may be similar, there are fewer individual hairs in the two band, giving better flow through (and for me, better face feel)

If you've only owned three band brushes, I would strongly suggest getting it in two band. Discovery of two band (Finest, Simpsons & M&F) completely changed my perceptions of what I like in a shaving brush.

Ken

Can't go wrong. As stated both are excellent. I would add if face lathering is your thing go with the 2 band. Otherwise the Best is the right choice. Just my opinion.

While Best knot/hair feels denser, I think it tends to hog lather a bit more. On the other hand, 2-band hair has much, much better flow-through and balls up nicely when face lathering - especially with a short loft.

I prefer the 2 band, but that best hair is also pretty darn good. It comes down to your preferences in each knot's performance, which I think the other fellows have summed up nicely.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Despite being the least expensive, I love the Best grade of hair Simpson offers and I like it more than their Super 3 band and Super 2 band. Hence, I'd get a Chubby (1 or 2) in Best.

Around three months ago I put up a thread asking members to pick me a new brush... The clear winner was Chubby 2 in 'best'. and to be honest, I couldn't be happier. I face lather with soap, the brush is a BEAST when it comes to that. I own smaller 2 band brushes, but for the price difference, I don't think I'd bother.

The chubby 2 in best is by far my favourite brush.

I am currently saving for a chubby 3 in 2 band. Who knows if that is the brush I will actually buy once I get that much cash saved.

The Chubby 2 two band is my favorite Simpson brush, and I have owned close to 10. For me the extra backbone and slight edge in density make the Chubby 2 band a real winner. Simpson best is a great grade of hair, but some of the best has a bit to much skritch for my face. On the other hand some of the best is as soft as any silvertip, so its a bit of a gamble. I also had a Chubby 3 in super and it was great, but a bit of a lather hog with the extreme density a Chubby in super brings.

I think I like Simpsons Best the best. But, then I go and use my Chubby Super 2 Band and I like it the best. Until I go and use my Duke in Best, then I like it the best. So then I use my T&H Branded Rooney that I just got and I like it the best.

Get both.

As already said above they are two different beasts. It seems to me like Simpsons 2-bands are getting harder to find so I suggest you go that route for starters and if you don't like it it will be easier to acquire one in best. That's my opinion.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
If this is your first Simpson, would suggest "Best". It really is a great brush. Here is a photo of a Duke 2 in Best and a Chubby 1 in 2 -band. I included a 34C for size comparison.

proxy.php

Have Chubby 1 Best--haven't tried others and can't imagine others being better only different in ways which may or may not be important to you as you can tell from responses of those who love their Chubbies. Proves to me that Chubby is great and you will love whatever Chubby you get.

I own both and can't say that one is better than the other. They offer different shaving experiences. Most noticeable is that the two band has a smaller face feel, which is helpful for precision face lathering and it also has slightly better flow through. The best feels bigger on the face, more 'pillowy' and is quite soft in its own right, but a little more exfoliating than the two band. They are both excellent.

The Chubby 2 two band is my favorite Simpson brush, and I have owned close to 10. For me the extra backbone and slight edge in density make the Chubby 2 band a real winner. Simpson best is a great grade of hair, but some of the best has a bit to much skritch for my face. On the other hand some of the best is as soft as any silvertip, so its a bit of a gamble.

This is precisely what I was going to say. I have seen a significant variability in what Vulfix labels Simpsons Best. It's a crapshoot - you could get exactly what you're looking for on the soft to scritchy spectrum, or not. The variability with the 2-band Supers is all in the knot shape and loft. But the tips are always softer than the other grades, with more backbone. Lovely stuff.

Top Bottom