What's new

Voskhod blades

Yep. The supply seems to be drying up.

There are some ebay sellers who have stock, with pricing about $25/100 and up. The last time I ordered 100 via Amazon (okay, it was 200) I paid $7.50 per, which is exceptionally high value.

I remember very when Voshkods first hit the scene. I was among the vanguard of B&B users who started using them in early 2011. They were not easy to source then (or now). But in between Voskhods became both inexpensive and plentiful.

I liked Voshkods from the first blade I tried, and I still do. I've kept them consistently in the mix of blades I use regularly over all these years. My stash is currently less than 100.

There are other Made in Russia blades that I'd rank similarly, but I think these are also in danger of disappearing, for obvious reasons.

I'm currently stockpiling blades and seeking out non-Russian blades to see if there are any blades that match the combined sharpness and smoothness of the Russian offerings.

My postman is late today, but he will bringing me a pack of Czech-made Tatras that are made in the original Czech-based plant that made Astra blades (up until 2008), when Gillette bought the brand and moved it to their St Petersburg plant.

Good luck in the search. I thought that The Razor Company had some (at 25/100) a couple days ago, but checking just now, they are sold out.

Good luck on your search.

Bill

Gone.....maybe some ex-commie block country still sells/ships them?

Otherwise, time to change country of origin for blades......

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here in the UK, from my usual supplier Voskhods are still in stock £9.49 per hundred, Rapira Platinum Lux are also £9.49 and Rapira Swedish are £8.99. Ladas are not easy to get here and the cheapest I have found is £12.49. All these prices include free UK delivery. I like all these blades so will place an order while I can at these prices. 100 of each will tip me over 1200 DE blades in stock which is more than I will ever need.

While my face enjoys a Voshkod, the last time I tried a Lada--which was a long time ago--the grind on this "sister" blade was not a good match for my face, which is pretty forgiving of most blades. The Ladas (at least back then) came with a more acute grind than the Vostocks, so may have seemed "sharper," but they rather irritated my face. I believe I still have one Lada left from back in 2011.

Off topic slightly, but just now I had an experience that was very similar to when I was sent early samples of Vostocks in early 2011. I just now had my first shave with a Tatra Platinum for the Czech Republic, from a factory that made Astras until 2008 when Gillette bought them up and moved production to Russia.

Recently I have been laying in a stash of my favorite Made-in-Russia blades (figuring the supply could/will vanish) while searching for a replacement that is both sharp and smooth like the best Russian Gillettes and Mostochlegmash blades.

After one shave with a Tatra Platinum, I immediately ordered 200 from Amazon (vendor: Razor Blades Club) at $9.99. These definitely are going to work for me. I'm sitting here "faceturbating" marveling at the closeness and lack of irritation. LOL.

I'm smooth man!

Unfortunately, it does seem like I wiped out their immediately available stock (new ship date Nov 17). The price is also now $12.99. Sorry about that.

However, should anyone be curious to try them, the "Tiger Platinum" blades (on Amazon for $9.99/100) are the exact same blade with different packaging from what I was told yesterday by the co-owner of the Czech Blade factory, who personally answered an email from me that was peppered with queries. Such a nice man!

I was hoping I would like these--based on the human connection alone--but I am not willing to shave with a less-than-stellar blade for *my face.* Sentimentality has its limits. LOL

These Platinum coated (and PTFE/Teflon coated) blades just gave be a fantastic shave. Definitely going to be a top-tier blade for me.

Yippie!

Bill

I have 5 Voskhod blades in stock and I think that's too many
I've got a dozen tucks or so, maybe, but I'm with you. My last 3 shaves were with a Voskhod blade, which I did every other day.

I can get a close shave with three passes, but it is not a pleasing, zen-like experience. That first wtg pass is entirely too tuggy. And no, they do not "improve" as the ptfe coating is a worn off with use. Many is the time over the years I bought that 100 batch that I made my 1st wtg swipe with a new blade, I grimace, remove the blade, put in an Astra or Personna and continue with the shave.

lasta

Blade Biter
While my face enjoys a Voshkod, the last time I tried a Lada--which was a long time ago--the grind on this "sister" blade was not a good match for my face, which is pretty forgiving of most blades. The Ladas (at least back then) came with a more acute grind than the Vostocks, so may have seemed "sharper," but they rather irritated my face. I believe I still have one Lada left from back in 2011.

Off topic slightly, but just now I had an experience that was very similar to when I was sent early samples of Vostocks in early 2011. I just now had my first shave with a Tatra Platinum for the Czech Republic, from a factory that made Astras until 2008 when Gillette bought them up and moved production to Russia.

Recently I have been laying in a stash of my favorite Made-in-Russia blades (figuring the supply could/will vanish) while searching for a replacement that is both sharp and smooth like the best Russian Gillettes and Mostochlegmash blades.

After one shave with a Tatra Platinum, I immediately ordered 200 from Amazon (vendor: Razor Blades Club) at $9.99. These definitely are going to work for me. I'm sitting here "faceturbating" marveling at the closeness and lack of irritation. LOL.

I'm smooth man!

Unfortunately, it does seem like I wiped out their immediately available stock (new ship date Nov 17). The price is also now $12.99. Sorry about that.

However, should anyone be curious to try them, the "Tiger Platinum" blades (on Amazon for $9.99/100) are the exact same blade with different packaging from what I was told yesterday by the co-owner of the Czech Blade factory, who personally answered an email from me that was peppered with queries. Such a nice man!

I was hoping I would like these--based on the human connection alone--but I am not willing to shave with a less-than-stellar blade for *my face.* Sentimentality has its limits. LOL

These Platinum coated (and PTFE/Teflon coated) blades just gave be a fantastic shave. Definitely going to be a top-tier blade for me.

Yippie!

Bill

A bit off topic sorry, but I find Tigers abyssmal, and Rapira (with the exception of Platinum Lux which is rather good) OK at best.

It's hard to beat the investment put in by Gillette/P&G to get the Russian plant up an running, certainly not a small Czech plant working with outdated machinery.

On the other hand, Treet is second best in my books. I'd happily shave with 7 Days and Dura Sharp.

A bit off topic sorry, but I find Tigers abyssmal, and Rapira (with the exception of Platinum Lux which is rather good) OK at best.

It's hard to beat the investment put in by Gillette/P&G to get the Russian plant up an running, certainly not a small Czech plant working with outdated machinery.

On the other hand, Treet is second best in my books. I'd happily shave with 7 Days and Dura Sharp.

You don't need to convince me of the quality of Gillette's Russian blades. I have a stockpile. I also think that the prospects of Gillette continuing to make blades at the St Petersburg plant are highly uncertain. And, you know, it is problematic in any case.

It was interesting in my recent email exchange with the co-owner of the Tatra/Tiger factory, that he is very proud of the "3-facet technology" his plant (that made Astras until 2008) uses vs the "gothic grinding" used by Gillette.

It is interesting that two people can have such different experiences with a razor blade. They seem to really be one of those YMMV items.

I'm totally looking forward to shave #2 with the Tatra Platinum.

I got a very smooth shave today, and my skin is happy.

Bill

Last edited:
You don't need to convince me of the quality of Gillette's Russian blades. I have a stockpile. I also think that the prospects of Gillette continuing to make blades at the St Petersburg plant are highly uncertain. And, you know, it is problematic in any case.

It was interesting in my recent email exchange with the co-owner of the Tatra/Tiger factory, that he is very proud of the "3-facet technology" his plant (that made Astras until 2008) uses vs the "gothic grinding" used by Gillette.

It is interesting that two people can have such different experiences with a razor blade. They seem to really be one of those YMMV items.

I'm totally looking forward to shave #2 with the Tatra Platinum.

I got a very smooth shave today, and my skin is happy.

Bill
Some really good Gillette blades from that factory. Just got a hundred pack of Nacet. Hopefully wherever P&G makes blades in the future they'll be just as good. We'll just have to see...

You probably would be better off switching to Dorco Prime or Titan. Also Refined Shave shows Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver blue and Wilkinson Sword as having a similar average sharpness as Voskhod.

You probably would be better off switching to Dorco Prime or Titan. Also Refined Shave shows Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver blue and Wilkinson Sword as having a similar average sharpness as Voskhod.
Dorco Primes are possibly the most underrated blades available. They are cheap and are excellent IMO. Much better than the rest of the Dorco lineup and as good as many of the more popular usual suspects.

Top Bottom