What's new

Gillette Rubie substitute

I was going to re-order a supply of my favorite blades (Gillette Rubie) today, but found most vendors out of stock. The few I found on ebay were expensive. Is there a consensus as to another blade similar to the Rubie in terms of performance? Thanks

Perma sharps are still widely available, I find them very very similar.
WERE. I recently ordered 100 DE for $9 amazon, got half blades.....so the dude ordered again......and sure I got another set of half blades.....so I called again....this time I could not understand the CS person neither did she....switched to a different language CS and got a refund...... Ain't no cheap blades in @maz0n....they are listed at $20.....and maybe they will ship you half blades.

Perma sharps are still widely available, I find them very very similar.

Perma-Sharps are really good and still reasonably priced. Just don't order them from an Amazon vendor called Corner Stone. They sent a bunch of us the single edge blades, which is a total rip-off since they were listed as double edge and single edge are normally cheaper than the price they charged. Returning is a hassle and an extra expense. Avoid Corner Stone!

I am curious where the enterprising Turks are. Surely a few have figured out there is a arbitrage opportunity in selling Perma-Sharp blades to the western world? I want to buy a few hundred but not at $20 USD a hundred.

I am curious where the enterprising Turks are. Surely a few have figured out there is a arbitrage opportunity in selling Perma-Sharp blades to the western world? I want to buy a few hundred but not at $20 USD a hundred.

The simplest answer is don't depend on or expect Amazon to have the lowest price. Look around. I have got blades cheaper from barber supply shops and Razorblades Club, to name a few.

The simplest answer is don't depend on or expect Amazon to have the lowest price. Look around. I have got blades cheaper from barber supply shops and Razorblades Club, to name a few.
Amazon actually is the cheapest place most of the time. Look at RBC's listings on AMZ and then compare to their own site. They price lower on AMZ by 2-3 bucks generally on most brands for some reason.

The Perma-Sharp prices have risen recently from $10 to nearly $20. Surge pricing I am sure from the interest in them after the recent $8 sales. Maybe it will drop back down in a few weeks.

Amazon actually is the cheapest place most of the time...

I mean just don't assume, do shop around. This applies to many things Amazon sells. Once alternative suppliers dry up or die off, or perceived shortages occur, prices will go up on AMZ like clockwork. People become habituated to buying from AMZ and they exploit that.

I'll admit I also prefer not to feed the giant.

In another traditional sharpening forum I read that the Rapira Platinum Lux are a valid alternative to the Gillette Rubie, it was actually written that they were just like clone copies of the Gillette Rubie blades.

The light blue Russian platinum “Swede” copies seemed fairly decent in regards to being a smooth/sharp/forgiving blade like the Rubies i remeber being were. Sadly my stock is limited so now it’s just for the occasional revisit that I use them.

The light blue Russian platinum “Swede” copies seemed fairly decent in regards to being a smooth/sharp/forgiving blade like the Rubies i remeber being were. Sadly my stock is limited so now it’s just for the occasional revisit that I use them.
Try the new Chinese Light Blues, they're good.

Top Bottom