What's new

Voskhod blades ---- "teflon" coating just marketing or a genuine feature ?

Voskhods are surprisingly good. Not as sharp as my Feather or Polsilver, but mates perfectly with my ATT S2.

I remember reading that the teflon gets washed off after a shave or two. Anyone else remember reading that?

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.

― W.C. Fields

All I ever got out of these blades was a rusty razor.

Rust - tea stains - whatever.

They don't react well with my water so I gave them all away.

I recently got some of these in the great blade exchange and I will be trying one for the first time tomorrow morning. Eager and looking forward to it.

I hope it is OK to revive old, dead threads. The title made me laugh because of the Mad Men episode where Lucky Strikes was looking for a new advertising campaign under new, stricter laws, and they went with "It's toasted!" All cigarette tobacco is toasted, but no one else was stating it. Watch it here: https://youtu.be/DyKwzpx-CWo

I'm yet to buy more than the small lots from Tryablade, since I already have way-many 100-backs of various brands and hardly have room for more. I do not get excited about actual or perceived differences among blades. I generally consider that one is a lot like the next. However I would say the Voshkods have held their edge well for the 5 to 7 shaves before I bin any blade. At the price, they are a great value. Do they have teflon coating? PolSilver Super Iridiums have no silver or iridium. Many if not most "platinum" blades have no platinum. I suppose Voshkods may or may not have teflon coating. I just know they work.

Used one today for the first time in my YUMA wich is a very aggressive razor to me - no cuts or irritation, BBS.. very happy and impressed.... if the next shaves are just as good, i am not gonna try any more blades...
Actually the 2nd shave the blade feels sharper and smoother, its the 1st shave that is not as good as shaves 2-4. You'll be even more happier with 2-3-4 shaves.

Many if not most "platinum" blades have no platinum. I suppose Voshkods may or may not have teflon coating.

Where did you hear this? A member here did an elemental analysis on the surface of some blades and the ones that are marketed as platinum coated do in fact contain platinum. I don't know anything about what Pol-Silvers might actually contain but Voskhods definitely have a fairly noticeable Teflon coating, as do many blades that are made in Russia. You can even see the Teflon coating on many blades that have a thick layer of it.

Those are blades that i really enjoy. I don´t have the knowledge to say if it's marketing or not, but i can say that they have a really noticeable coating. On the first passes i feel the coating and then they start to cut better and behave very smoth. Don´t know if is teflon or other stuff, but is noticeable.

Is Voskhod just stating the obvious --- like a seller of vegetables saying his product has no fat ---- or is there something unique about the Voskhod blades compared to other brands of blades ?

1. There are actually quite a lot of vegetables that contain fat. The ubiquitous avocado springs to mind. ;)

2. Voskhod blades do have a teflon coating indeed, but that is not really a unique feature that makes the Voskhod blades stand out. What makes them unique to me is the combination of very good sharpness and incredible smoothness. Moreover, those blades last five to six excellent shaves and are dirt cheap over here in Europe. You can purchase them on eBay directly "from Russia, with love" ;) for a little over $10 for 100 pcs., shipping fees included.

I have Wilkinsons, Feathers, & Voskhods. I don't care for the Voskhods. I favor the Wilkinsons and the Feathers.

They're exceptionally smooth, but not really sharp enough to easily get BBS. - I can get BBS the first shave with one, but they seem to drop off sharply and are pretty useless by the 3rd shave with my growth. It's a Rapira blade, and I find the Lux a better blade overall than the Voskhod, as it has most of the smoothness, but with greater sharpness that remains for several shaves.

I bought 100 early in my DE journey 3 years back, the tuck i had tried previously went over well. I've 48 left and have been using them exclusively that last little bit just to get rid of them. I won't be buying more, poor to mediocre compared to blades i've used since.

dave

Top Bottom