What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

A question for you vintage soap connoisseurs...How much difference is there between vintage Williams and vintage Colgate? I'm going through all my unused soaps & creams and using them at least 3 times and I'm wondering these are different enough that it's worth turning all of these pucks from NOS to used. If there's a noticeable difference, I'll try them all now, but if not, I'd like to keep two of them unused for now. here's the soaps I have:

$8230256807_a33b731299_z.jpg
$8231321344_057c896013_z.jpg
$8231323096_7a00b5b5e3_z.jpg

The vintage Palmolive soap is quite a bit less common than it's cousin, Colgate. There's no zip code in the address so I believe this puts them pre-1963.
proxy.php

I found this at an antique shop last week, and this is the first time i found vintage palmolive pucks. As you said the colgate version is much more common. Would anyone by chance know around what time period this puck is from? it looks like it might be newer than hoosiertroopers find.

$Shave Soap 4.jpg$Shave soap 3.jpg$Shave soap 1.jpg

Very nice find Jack! I think yours is from about the same era as mine. In 1928 the Palmolive-Peet Company joined with the Colgate Company to create the Colgate-Palmolive-Peet Company, but they dropped the Peet name in 1953. Since there's no zip code in the address and no Peet in the name I'd guess that puts your in the 1954-1963 time frame.

Here's my oldest puck of Colgate soap, pre-1953 since it still has Peet in the name. I found it in this wooden box at an antique store for $5.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thought I'd put my find from today here since it did have a puck of, uh, vintage soap with it. Found this Franklin Toiletries Barbershop mug and wall mount. Included was a worn out Made Rite brush and a dry, brittle soap carcass:lol: Not bad for $5. I tried to identify the soap but it was just too far gone.

I actually received permission to mount it on the bathroom wall, and I have a couple of the Barbershop brushes so I can hang one on it along with a razor. The Barbershop soap is very good stuff.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice score Tom. Ive seen the cups on ebay but have yet to locate one in person. The hanger is new to me. Very nice.

Picked up a couple more Franklin Toiletries mugs at local thrift stores. The 1985 Duck Design mug is really cool, and it came with what appears to be a brand new Surrey brush. Not bad for $4.95. The Barbershop mug was mixed in with some coffee cups and only $3.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I whipped up a test lather with this puck last night. It was the first time getting any of my vintage pucks wet. After soaking for a few minutes, I attacked with my Vulfix 660S super badger. I started out getting a lot of foamy lather, so I squeezed all the water out and went back to the puck, much of the foamy lather still on the puck. I worked and worked it, until the foam died down and the cream started to rise.

After that I took the brush to my face and proceeded to get one amazing, though scentless, lather. I can see why folks love this stuff! I'm really looking forward to using it for real tonight.

My only vintage soap is an Old Spice mug & soap I got in 1976. I didn't start wet shaving regularly until last Nov. 2011. That Old Spice soap is as good as any of the rest. I love it.

Just finished the first shave with the Old Spice. REALLY great stuff. No distinct smell left, but really enjoyed the shave.

No major rehab needed, either. I just poured a little hot water on top of the soap after I got out of the shower. Let that sit a few minutes and proceeded as usual.

A friend gave me some of his vintage find: a tub of Westphaul's Cream. I think it's from the 1950s. Very classic, subdued scent. Lathers well.

The cream was dried out a bit, just added some water and put the lid back on and let it sit for a few days. Although I cannot be sure, it is creamy like it was back in it's day.

It's very cool to be able to use a vintage shaving product!

Top Bottom