What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

I posted this on another thread a while back. I really like this set....

proxy.php

I've got a few vintage soaps. Here are some of the usual suspects:

But this is my real prize. I've had this maybe a year and a half; scored it on the bay for I don't know, $35-$45? Worth every penny!

Unfortunately, no dates on the wrapper.

All the pucks are still there...for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a few vintage soaps. Here are some of the usual suspects:

But this is my real prize. I've had this maybe a year and a half; scored it on the bay for I don't know, $35-$45? Worth every penny!

Unfortunately, no dates on the wrapper.

All the pucks are still there...for now.

Don't leave us hanging !!! how about a vintage vs. new comparison ???

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend is going through her uncles estate and sent this to me. She said it was most likely her grandfathers. The puck is hard to read in the pic but says Watkins Shaving Soap. Anyone know about this soap? I have found no information on it. $001.jpg$002.jpg

The Watkins products,which included cosmetics,household goods,cleaning products,medicines,and especially flavorings,were sold door-to-door only from 1868 until bankruptcy in the 70's.The name was sold in 1978...don't hesitate to use this soap.Put a thin layer of water on it overnight to rehydrate it,and as long as it has no foul odor ,it should be fine to use.Please let us know how the lather goes !

The Watkins products,which included cosmetics,household goods,cleaning products,medicines,and especially flavorings,were sold door-to-door only from 1868 until bankruptcy in the 70's.The name was sold in 1978...don't hesitate to use this soap.Put a thin layer of water on it overnight to rehydrate it,and as long as it has no foul odor ,it should be fine to use.Please let us know how the lather goes !

Thanks for the information. She said she figured 1930's so that would fit. The only smell I dectect is a light soap smell so will put some water on it and see what happens in the morning. Thanks again.

Last edited:
The soap works pretty well. Nice and slick with a good cushion and didnt dry on my face. The only problem was having to go back to the puck with each pass but that might be me and not the soap. The only scent I could detect was that of old/aged wood. I attribute that from the soap sitting in the wooden bowl for who knows how long. In the end I got a nice, close shave with no weepers and the cool factor of using this stuff is priceless. Having not experienced other vintage soaps I would say it kinda reminds me of Williams. Of course that might be my imagination knowing that Williams is an "old time" soap?

Last edited:
The first thing to go on these old tallow soaps is the scent,but if there is no foul odor ,the soap should be fine.I think by your description you have to really rehydrate the puck further.I have rehydrated old pucks and added some scent in with the water to brighten the aroma,it can't hurt at all.I think with further hydration and a little difference in technique,you will be able to load the brush,transfer to a mug and really whip a fine lather up,and when you do please don't forget how much the forum loves photos !...good luck !

The first thing to go on these old tallow soaps is the scent,but if there is no foul odor ,the soap should be fine.I think by your description you have to really rehydrate the puck further.I have rehydrated old pucks and added some scent in with the water to brighten the aroma,it can't hurt at all.I think with further hydration and a little difference in technique,you will be able to load the brush,transfer to a mug and really whip a fine lather up,and when you do please don't forget how much the forum loves photos !...good luck !

Thanks for the information. I will add more water and maybe some Clubman for scent.

Got these in the mail today from the bay for $11 shipped. Saw these one day and not one other person bid on them, the lack of interest really surprised me.

The vintage Palmolive soap is quite a bit less common than it's cousin, Colgate. There's no zip code in the address so I believe this puts them pre-1963. They still feel slick, not a bit dried out, I'll grate one up and start using it once I put a bit more of a dent in the current Colgate puck I'm using.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I may be wrong - but if those Palmolive soaps are only sporting the 'Palmolive' mfgr name, and not Palmolive-Peet, or Colgate Palmolive - they're from the 30s.

Yeah, I was hoping maybe it had Peet in the name but it doesn't, just Colgate-Palmolive. I think they dropped Peet from the name around 1953.

I may be wrong - but if those Palmolive soaps are only sporting the 'Palmolive' mfgr name, and not Palmolive-Peet, or Colgate Palmolive - they're from the 30s.

Top Bottom