What's new

Vintage Simpson Find!

Found this guy in a antique store yesterday. It appears to be in pretty nice shape. Cleaned and conditioned the knot. Tried searching Hudson's of England and really couldn't come up with anything. Anyone have any knowledge of the store?

IMG_0239.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hudson's was a department store chain out of Detroit Michigan. They closed and were taken over by another store chain, I think Marshall Field's. We lived in MI from 1999-2006. There is a mall in Taylor, the Southland Mall. There used to be a Hudson's store, but that was taken over by Marshall Field's. Locals always referred to it as "Hudson's".

Hudson's was a department store chain out of Detroit Michigan. They closed and were taken over by another store chain, I think Marshall Field's. We lived in MI from 1999-2006. There is a mall in Taylor, the Southland Mall. There used to be a Hudson's store, but that was taken over by Marshall Field's. Locals always referred to it as "Hudson's".
More or less, yes. The Hudson's in MI and the Daytons' in MN got renamed to Marshal Fields in the early 2000s. (Dayton-Hudson was the parent corporation of both as well as Target, eventually was renamed Target Corp). We all continued to call it Daytons after the name change too.

A few years later Target Corp sold the Marshal Fields brand, which eventually merged with Macy's and the stores were renamed again. Some of us still refer to Macy's as Dayton's, out of spite. But I don't hear it as much as I used to.

I never thought of Hudson Department store. I was born in Michigan and lived there most of my life.

My brain went straight to a retail operation in England.

At one time the Hudsons department store in downtown Detroit, by square footage, may have been the largest department store in the world. It had something like 11 floors. Bigger than any of the Chicago, New York or Los Angeles department stores.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
At one time the Hudsons department store in downtown Detroit, by square footage, may have been the largest department store in the world. It had something like 11 floors. Bigger than any of the Chicago, New York or Los Angeles department stores.
That is what I was told, it was the tallest department store building in the world. I think they had something like 30+ levels. Friends told me it was destroyed about a year before I moved in the downriver area. Must have been an impressive building.

Top Bottom