What's new

Vintage Cartridge Shaving

Just got on a vintage cartridge kick.
I started shaving in 1982 on the day Italy won the World Cup and moved from the electric shaver that my stepfather gave me to the Gillette Contour, and I remember all the excitement about the introduction of the lubrastrip.
Anyway, I recently caught a bad case of injector fever and bought a vintage Italian Tonal razor, thinking it was a european injector.
Of course it was actually Trac II compatible, so I searched for cartridges for it and then accidentally bought Tracer/Fx cartridges.
Of course they didn't fit - weirdly the carts are on sale in the 99p shop but no compatible handles are sold anywhere I can find.
So now I needed Trac II carts and a Schick Tracer handle!

Thanks to ebay, dealxtreme and a great trade with a Rose's thorn, all my wishes came true :)
As well as the Tonal, I've now got a cool looking Jing Lil Chinese Trac II clone, an ancient Supermax twin cart system and a Schick Tracer all fired up and ready to go.
I can clearly see how the ideas of Wilkinson's bonded blade, Gillette's twin blade and Schick's injector converged in the cartridge razor.

I used the Tonal as a travel razor a couple of days ago and it was a bit harsh but very efficient.
I'm going to use the Tracer tomorrow morning.
Anyone else indulge in vintage cartridge shaving?

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1386619398745.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1386619398745.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 361
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1386619419786.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1386619419786.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 362
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1386619446524.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1386619446524.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 359
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1386619456899.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1386619456899.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 363
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1386619475197.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1386619475197.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 363
And here's that chunky yet elegant Schick Tracer.
I'm intrigued as to how it will shave...

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1386619586367.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1386619586367.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 353
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1386619597093.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1386619597093.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 350
Shaved with the Tracer this morning.
Very nice - the length and the ergonomics of the handle are excellent.
Its flexing blade had some slight difficulties with neck troublespots, but these were soon overcome for a fine DFS+
proxy.php

I have the Trac II and Schick Super II handles (vintage) as well as NOS carts for them. I do occasionally still use them when I'm in a hurry.

I have a Trac II Deluxe from 1973 that I picked up NOS. I use it rather regularly. The TracII is a good system, and I've got an original handle for it which I prefer to a fancy TracII replacement handle. Also, because it's NOS, I've got the original carts. I use it for the annual patriotic shave on the 4th of July. That and a can of Barbasol make it an all-American shave: 100% made in the USA.

$P1020552.jpg

Just shaved with the Ying Jili using one of its supplied carts.
Much too mild for my liking.
The Italian Tonal with Supermax carts was a lot better...
...but the Schick Tracer was best!
proxy.php

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have a Trac II Deluxe from 1973 that I picked up NOS. I use it rather regularly. The TracII is a good system, and I've got an original handle for it which I prefer to a fancy TracII replacement handle. Also, because it's NOS, I've got the original carts. I use it for the annual patriotic shave on the 4th of July. That and a can of Barbasol make it an all-American shave: 100% made in the USA.

Got this exact same set as Foyle. When Wal-Mart discontinued Wilkinson Swords Trac II carts I hit Every Wal Mart and Wal Mart Grocer in the OKC area. Picked thru each stores discontinued shelf and picked up a lifetime supply of carts for .50 cents for a box of 10 carts. I love the Trac II shaves and use it in rotation and when traveling.

I have some Tracer blades but can't find a handle.

I use a Trac II and an Atra occasionally. Atra is my weapon of choice for clean-up of stubborn patches that remain after two passes with a DE.

I have some Tracer blades but can't find a handle.

I use a Trac II and an Atra occasionally. Atra is my weapon of choice for clean-up of stubborn patches that remain after two passes with a DE.

It's weird - those Tracer/Fx blades are widely available here but no handle to fit them.
I advertised on the B/S/T for mine and was handsomely rewarded :thumbup:

I have an Atra Plus. Was my first razor ever. Did the natural progression to sensor, mach3, fusion. Went back to the Atra before converting to DE. The Atra Gave a better shave than all the other cartridge razors.

I have a vintage GII handle and a couple of none lube carts in the den. I aint used it for ages but it does give a satifactory shave IMHO. as for the carts all I can find is those crappy lube ones. Cack I hate it, much prefer none lube......so to speak. Mind saying all that I do love my Cobra Classic SE.

Yes, and the best and most efficient and reliable I've ever used is the old Gillette Trac ll razor combined with the German made Merkur Twin Blade refills. They are rather expensive but IMO,they last me 4 or 5 times longer than all the Chinese made twin blade refills. However,the Merkur twin blades are somewhat difficult to find here in the US,or even online

Craig

However,the Merkur twin blades are somewhat difficult to find here in the US,or even online

I've always been able to find them at Classic Shaving. That said, I found them prone to clogging, because they - like every other non-Gillette Trac II cart I've tried - lack the venting between the blades. Merkur has that little push-button deal that pushes the gunk out, but it's a poor substitute for venting that prevents the clogging in the first place, imo. Gillette-made TII carts are the only ones I've found with venting.

For those who like Trac II carts without strips, check out the Indian-made Gillette 7 O'clock PII. It's a genuine, Gillette-made Trac II cartridge without the lube strip, and is very reasonably priced, even when imported. I find it shaves on a par with Trac II Plus carts available locally in stores. Best price I've found is on US Razor, but they can also be found at Razors Direct.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've always been able to find them at Classic Shaving. That said, I found them prone to clogging, because they - like every other non-Gillette Trac II cart I've tried - lack the venting between the blades. Merkur has that little push-button deal that pushes the gunk out, but it's a poor substitute for venting that prevents the clogging in the first place, imo. Gillette-made TII carts are the only ones I've found with venting.

For those who like Trac II carts without strips, check out the Indian-made Gillette 7 O'clock PII. It's a genuine, Gillette-made Trac II cartridge without the lube strip, and is very reasonably priced, even when imported. I find it shaves on a par with Trac II Plus carts available locally in stores. Best price I've found is on US Razor, but they can also be found at Razors Direct.

Excellent post. Thanks for the info on the 7 O'clock's. Have you tried the Wilkinson Sword carts? If yes, what did you think of their performance?

My Chaofeng twin blade cartridges arrived from dealxtreme today. Cleverly, they are both TracII and Atra compatible.
The Supermax carts are good in the Tonal, a little harsh maybe but very satisfactory and very reminiscent of my shaving experiences in the '80s.
The Ying Jili carts in the Ying Jili handle seemed just too mild though - maybe it's the head angle and I need to adjust my technique a bit.
Who knows how these fiendish Chaofengs will behave?

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1386880759325.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1386880759325.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 151
  • $uploadfromtaptalk1386880773002.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1386880773002.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Have you tried the Wilkinson Sword carts? If yes, what did you think of their performance?

I've not tried them. I got the impression they were an unvented design (can't remember why I thought that - whether I saw them in a store, or read someone's comments on them). I've used enough unvented Trac II carts to know I don't want to shave with them, regardless of how good the blades might be. Besides, Gillette's blades have consistently been the best match for my skin, regardless of format (even with a DE, I prefer Gillette Platinums), so it's a no-brainer for me to stick with them. That said, if the Wilkinson Sword carts were vented, and I could get them locally, I'd give them a go, just for the heck of it.

Top Bottom