What's new

Vintage blade collectors club

Bathroom reconstruction exposed the back of my medicine cabinet:
PXL_20230727_125904323.jpg

All single edge blades. The original owner had the house built in the 40s, not sure when he passed. I got it from the son when his mom passed in 1998.

Did he go from SE to cartridges and tape shut the slot in the cabinet? Mystery.

Bathroom reconstruction exposed the back of my medicine cabinet:
View attachment 1692942
All single edge blades. The original owner had the house built in the 40s, not sure when he passed. I got it from the son when his mom passed in 1998.

Did he go from SE to cartridges and tape shut the slot in the cabinet? Mystery.
On Ebay sellers list these for enough money to pay for your entire house.
Cool find.

What's this???

proxy.php

Why, it's blades! Lots and lots of old blades. As many of you know, there have been literally thousands of different brands of blades over the years, from all over the world. Many of us have stashed some of them away, from a few examples, to a small horde. The designs of the packets are varied and colourful, and lets face it, they tie into our hobby a lot better than stamps or match books.

proxy.php

So this thread is for you guys to show off some of the interesting blade wrappers you have found on your travels. Pics are a must, and try to show one wrapper per post. Keep track of the previous posts, and try to post different wrappers each time, with any relevant info you would like to share about it.

Let's make this thread the largest and most extensive compendium of vintage blade packaging on the internet. There are so many different blades out there, lets collect them all with no "doubles".
Hi I’m new here and I’m looking for some
Info on the Gillette safety razor still in original box with original blades

British pat number is 430030

I am wanting to know what I have on my hands here as it seems rather antique

Appreciate any info or feedback

Attachments

• IMG_1945.jpeg
    IMG_1945.jpeg
    954.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1946.jpeg
    IMG_1946.jpeg
    966.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1949.jpeg
    IMG_1949.jpeg
    846.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1947.jpeg
    IMG_1947.jpeg
    731.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1948.jpeg
    IMG_1948.jpeg
    753.9 KB · Views: 23

Legion

Staff member
Hi I’m new here and I’m looking for some
Info on the Gillette safety razor still in original box with original blades

British pat number is 430030

I am wanting to know what I have on my hands here as it seems rather antique

Appreciate any info or feedback
36 Brit Aristocrat? Not quite antique, but close. Not really the right section for the question. Would you like me to move it to a more appropriate spot?

430030 seems a bit different

Here are some of my vintage gem style blades. Starting from the top my this is the original wedge blade that came with my Kampfe Brothers 1880 prototype. The next one down is another wedge blade that is a later production Kampfe Brothers. Third row down is first generation gem style blades. left to right to right, Gem damaskeene, Ever-Ready Radio Steel, and SHA-VE-ZEE. Fourth row is a gem micromatic blade from the 30s. Fifth row is blades from the 40s ,Gem Duridium, and lastly a Treet blade.
20230828_150103.jpg

I asked this in one of the other forums and didn’t get a reply, but I’ll ask it here too. I purchased 9 of these unopened, and 1 opened with a single blade missing from the package, and couldn’t wait to relive my teen years with a Gillette Super Blue shave, but my wife is sure they’re worth more to collectors than they are to my nostalgic shaving!

What do you folks think, shave ‘em, save ‘em, or sell ‘em to a collector?

Thanks,
John W
Camp Verde, AZ, USA

Attachments

• IMG_3703.jpeg
    IMG_3703.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
I asked this in one of the other forums and didn’t get a reply, but I’ll ask it here too. I purchased 9 of these unopened, and 1 opened with a single blade missing from the package, and couldn’t wait to relive my teen years with a Gillette Super Blue shave, but my wife is sure they’re worth more to collectors than they are to my nostalgic shaving!

Thanks,
John W
Camp Verde, AZ, USA

1) See what kind of prices these are currently going for.

2) Shave with one from the open pack.

3) Decide.

1) See what kind of prices these are currently going for.

2) Shave with one from the open pack.

3) Decide.
@A41capt : Dr Strange speaks to the point. I expect that there is collector demand. Vintage dispensers are the final touch to complete collector's cased sets. You won't get rich but you'll make some guys happy.

But if they still shave well... they are your blades. I shave with my vintage stainless blades. The carbons are mainly decorative.

Thanks,
John W
Camp Verde, AZ, USA
SELL SELL SELL .... or hold for a few years, then SELL SELL SELL

If people keep using these, the 'asking' price only rises the less the supply, USE USE USE them :D

IMG_5977.jpeg

I honed up the circled blade and shaved with it. Decent SAS to CCS level shave. The kit had all twelve original blades, four still fully wrapped. I have yet to get a good shave with a re-honed DE blade, but this carbon E-R blade and an old AutoStrop blade have given me decent shaves. In both cases, the blade I honed and stropped was the blade mounted in the razor when I found it.

This is the best looking of the opened blades:
IMG_5986.jpeg
IMG_5985.jpeg

I have been considering trying to hone up a three hole DE blade. They are thicker than more modern slotted DE blades.

SELL SELL SELL .... or hold for a few years, then SELL SELL SELL

If people keep using these, the 'asking' price only rises the less the supply, USE USE USE them :D
Well, I put them up for sale on flea bay and have only sold one pack for $15 with free shipping. I’ll clear about $9 after I pay listing and shipping. Doesn’t hardly seem worth it!

I’m breaking out one of the packs and using some. I wish I could list them here, but they’ve got some sort of restriction on who can sell.

Top Bottom