What's new

Vintage blade collectors club

The Gillette isleworth made in london super silvers just arrived.
1st tuck I opened from one of the packs has blade code B4. So 4th quarter 1981.
2nd pack have the code C1 so I think that means they are 1st quarter 1982 ? Just inspected the blades and they look in mint condition, I can't wait to try one of these tomorrow.
IMG_20230509_181452.jpg

Help me date this Gillette Blade Pack.

It still has some cellophane wrapper. It is unopened so I have not seen any more of the dispenser than what is visible through the torn hole.
I have looked through Mr-razors site but didn't find a good match.
Gillette
Blue
Blades

is a clue. Lots of Blue Gillette Blades but not Gillette Blue Blades.

Just curious if anyone could venture a guess.
I am not a collector of blades but I'm just trying to gain some knowledge.

When did the blue dispensers come out with yellow letters?
Is it after the 1947 notches in razors show up?
IMG_7638.jpeg
IMG_7639.jpeg

Help me date this Gillette Blade Pack.

It still has some cellophane wrapper. It is unopened so I have not seen any more of the dispenser than what is visible through the torn hole.
I have looked through Mr-razors site but didn't find a good match.
Gillette
Blue
Blades

is a clue. Lots of Blue Gillette Blades but not Gillette Blue Blades.

Just curious if anyone could venture a guess.
I am not a collector of blades but I'm just trying to gain some knowledge.

When did the blue dispensers come out with yellow letters?
Is it after the 1947 notches in razors show up?View attachment 1668273View attachment 1668274
They first seem to show up in sets in 1951.
proxy.php

A 1953 President set
proxy.php

A nice 1954 Super Speed TV Special
proxy.php

A 1957 set which shows your despenser including the cardboard outer box
proxy.php

And pretty much all the way to 1960 as far as I can tell with this lovely Bottom Dial Adjustable
proxy.php

After that Gillette US moved to the paler blue and white dispenser, from about 1961
I think that was down to the new formulation of Gillette blade, The "Super Blue Blade" from about this date.
proxy.php

So I would say for the US dispensers, about 1951-1960.

Last edited:
Blue Gillette Blades but not Gillette Blue Blades.
I am a total expert in this field, I know nothing about blades, hell I don't even use blades, I'm so expert at not shaving!
I'm racking the brain which came first as to the ordering of the wording G B B or B G B on the packets and also the scrolls in the corners in the line work around the edge, some blade packets have scrolls top and bottom, some are only scrolled on the bottom. But then again, AU blades had au on the back, and NZ blades had nz on them, as yours has spanish registrado maracas, I might just keep quiet.
The chicken and the egg story, did dispensers come first? or did notched center bars?
A circa 1948 era has closed comb, yet full doors, center bar does not protrude through the doors, so no notches. BUT this is Australia, and years of collecting may have soiled our soil with many countries versions of any razor or blade, so agin i keep quiet.

For someone keeping quiet, and knowing nothing, damn he says a lot. :p

Top Bottom