What's new

Vintage Avon find

Well, I went back to the estate sale today and came home with more than I bargained for. Sadly, I will probably go back Sunday and see what I can scrape together for a low ball offer. Unfortunately, I forgot to take my digital camera, and since I have a dumbphone, I can't upload pictures. If I go back Sunday I will try to get a few shots of what they have left.

From left to right:

Tai Winds in rhino decanter
Spicy in Tee Off decanter
Tai Winds in longhorn steer decanter
Spicy in Indian Tepee
Tai Winds in Rolls-Royce decanter
Deep Woods in Long Drive decanter
Bay Rum in old fashioned glass bottle
Spicy in Indian Chieftain decanter
Leather in sport of kings horse decanter
tai Winds in The King chess piece decanter

I also saw several bottles of Oland, Everest, and Tribute, among the probably hundred bottles of Wild Country. Are they any good?

Also,

RickBoone, please PM me if you're still interested in the Tai Winds.

Attachments

• $IMG_0586.jpg
    $IMG_0586.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 262
You did very, very well, Jones! Several of those decanters are missing in my collection. And that keepsake Bay Rum bottle is a real treasure, from the reissue in 1981, I believe.

Öland is a complex and interesting scent: dark, sweet, smoky, leathery
Everest is a clean, sweet and fresh piney scent with a touch of menthol
Tribute is a cologney lavender top with the typical Avon sweet-woods-musk base
Wild Country is the flagship fragrance, a floral-citrus top on the standard base, in the same wheelhouse with Clubman, Stetson, Brut, and Canoe. The vintage stuff is much more robust than the current version. It's a must-have in anyone's Avon collection.

That is awesome, you did Indiana proud! Oland is the only Avon scent that I have found that I don't really care for. I used the Tai Winds rhino this morning, it is great stuff.

Wild Country thrift store finds yesterday. I picked these items up; the old-fashioned radio is intact and full- 5 oz., the half of the old-fashioned telephone is full- 7-oz., the thermometer, missing finial, is about 1/4 full. And, the shaving mug was with the other mugs at 29 cents; grand total $6.20. I will probably use the radio bottle and just transfer the juice from the others, as needed. Where does one get a little funnel for doing this?

Attachments

• $DSCF1152.jpg
    $DSCF1152.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Yesterday at an Antique Fair, I saw a handheld transceiver (walkie-talkie), but it was empty. Wish I had taken a picture. If my wife makes us go back, I will try to remember as I haven't seen that one in this thread?

BTW, we went yesterday and I cleaned out everything cheap to be had. Spotted just a few Avon collectibles and no Old Spice. Well over a 1000 spaces (indoors of course) and zilch on colognes or aftershaves.

-jim

I saw one of those when I got my latest score, but did not pick it up.

Yesterday at an Antique Fair, I saw a handheld transceiver (walkie-talkie), but it was empty. Wish I had taken a picture. If my wife makes us go back, I will try to remember as I haven't seen that one in this thread?

-jim

Where does one get a little funnel for doing this?

What I did is pour the liquid into a small glass & then use a small syringe without the needle to put it into the new container. I went to the local drug store & asked the pharmasist for a large eye dropper like you would use to give a baby cough syrup.

What I did is pour the liquid into a small glass & then use a small syringe without the needle to put it into the new container. I went to the local drug store & asked the pharmasist for a large eye dropper like you would use to give a baby cough syrup.

Sounds like it would work fine, thanks!

I found this Bay Rum Jug on a recent trip. It only has about an ounce or less left, but it is the first Avon Bay Rum I have ever found or tried.

proxy.php

Finally located one of these bottles at a local antique mall. It was empty, but I was still happy to find it as I have memories of my paternal grandfather having a bottle of it back in the 60's. Now I have to find some bay rum aftershave to decant into it. I was thinking of using one of those flavor injectors used to inject marinades and spices into meat.

Found a few dupes, along with a new piece, $4 each.
Also ran across another Glastonbury-era Williams Shave Stick (guest size, glass pack) for $6! I found one of these several months ago (at twice the price), and no one had seen it before when I posted it in the Shaving Soap forum. I've been sitting on the first one, but now that I found a backup I've got no excuse not to give it a whirl!

• "Touring T," 6oz Excalibur AS (full)
  • "The Avon Open," 5oz Windjammer AS (full)
  • "The Capitol," 5oz Leather AS (full)
  • "High-Top Sneaker," 6oz Liquid Hair Trainer (full)

Attachments

• $avon_vintage_2011-11-06.jpg
    $avon_vintage_2011-11-06.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 194
cool stuff.one day i'll get some excalibur.the hair tonic will probably get added to the collection one day,but it is not a priority.

John, that is a fanatastic haul, especially the Williams shave stick. How about a couple pictures of just it, maybe out of the jar. Pretty please?

Top Bottom