What's new

Vintage Avon find

Found this Avon Barber Shop Brush full of Wild Country cologne for $.99 today at an antique store.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I agree, this is a must have. I've seen a couple empty ones and wasn't expecting a whole lot when I saw the price sticker so I was quite surprised to find it full and cologne at that.

Well, the promised haul didn't come together, again. My guy was busy resetting his booth, but cut me a nice deal on a blue Lady G and a 20-count Speedpak of Blue Blades. He's doing a sale at his house next weekend, so I should have access to his entire promised motherlode. Unwilling to leave empty-handed, I grabbed the following 3 items at another booth for $9.
  • Avon Musk Marine Roll-on AP/Deo (current product)
  • "Coleman Lantern" 5oz Wild Country Cologne (85% full)
  • "First Class Male" 4oz Wild Country AS (100% full)
The Coleman lantern and the mailbox bottles are both new to me. Nice finds! Thanks for sharing. Now I've got more bottles to keep an eye out for!

Well, after visiting his house I've now seen everything my favorite Avon dealer has to offer, and I'm starting to get the feeling my shelves are full. I don't think I'll be buying any more this year, but here's what I came up with today for $20.

proxy.php

• "Captain's Pride," 6oz Windjammer AS
  • "On The Level," 5oz Everest AS
  • "Weather Or Not," 5oz Tribute AS
  • "American Eagle," 5oz Oland AS
  • "Remember When" Radio, 5oz Liquid Hair Lotion
  • "Fielder's Choice," 5oz Liquid Hair Trainer
  • "Piano Decanter," 4oz Tribute AS
  • "Stagecoach," 5oz Oland AS
  • "Warrior" 6oz Tribute Cologne
  • "Barber Shop Brush" 1.5oz Tai Winds Cologne
  • "Dune Buggy" 5oz Spicy AS

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I looked at the pictures in the thread and it doesn't seem like someone has one (or I didn't see it). Is there someone who own a "Avon Captain's Lantern 1864 Bottle"? I'm curious as the pictures I found on eBay don't seem to show the bottle properly (i.e. not enough light) is it painted, transparent, etc... Great bottles so far!

Luc, I don't own the Captain's Lantern decanter, but I've seen it (earlier today, in fact). It's a translucent brown glass bottle with a red sticker over the lens. To me, the look of it is lower quality than the Whale-Oil Lantern or the Auto Lamp decanters.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Luc, I don't own the Captain's Lantern decanter, but I've seen it (earlier today, in fact). It's a translucent brown glass bottle with a red sticker over the lens. To me, the look of it is lower quality than the Whale-Oil Lantern or the Auto Lamp decanters.

Interesting, the ones that I've seen were more black than anything else. I think that lantern would look better without the sticker... Anyways... Pictures welcome if someone has it!

Time for me to show what I got... I bought the Avon Shaving Brush decanter. I didn't use it yet as I don't have what I need to fill it (it's in the mail). Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• $Avon Shaving Brush 1.JPG
    $Avon Shaving Brush 1.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 366
  • $Avon Shaving Brush 2.JPG
    $Avon Shaving Brush 2.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 366
  • $Avon Shaving Brush 3.JPG
    $Avon Shaving Brush 3.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 364
I got two Shaving Brush decanters FULL of cologne in today but I'm not sure the smells are gonna agree with me. One is Wild Country and the other is Tai Winds. Both in the box. I thought about dumping them and filling them with something else but, I figured I'd check and see if someone wants to trade me for another scent (preferably AS, not cologne) in the same decanter. Anyone wanna do some swappin'?

Ahhhh... don't dump them! That's Avon abuse.

But you're out of luck when it comes to finding another scent in that bottle. It only came in Tai Winds cologne and Wild Country cologne. Those are two of the best scents, in my opinion. You can refill it with whatever you want, but don't waste the Avon goodness. Decant it into a plastic bottle and send it to someone else or somehting like that.

Naw I wouldn't really dump 'em. I had actually thought about decanting them into smaller bottles for PIF's etc. I hope I like the smell of the Super Shaver decanter I have coming! LOL

Found these at a couple of local thrift stores. They had more but I am trying to buy full ones only. Unless one is unusual and catches my eye. ($1.00) The model T Touring is missing its top and is full of Tribute. ($1.91) The large paper Get the Message is full of Clint. Both are AS.

Attachments

• $1002639a.jpg
    $1002639a.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 326
  • $1002640u.jpg
    $1002640u.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 324
Good finds, Matt! I hadn't seen the "Get The Message" decanter before, and I really like Clint (Avon's version of Aramis). I actually wore Tribute today, which has a lavender top note and went on well over the Salter soap I selected for the shave.

I was looking forward to splashing one of the scents on this morning. But I received a call for a job interview and did not know how it would affect the people interviewing me. Better safe than sorry. I did enjoy sniffing them on the way home from the stores.

I have another awesome score to share. I found a bunch of Avon at an antique store in Las Vegas on my last trip all marked $3. However I was only traveling with carry on, so I passed. I went back last week prepared. They were marked down to $2!!! So I got as many as I thought I could safely pack in my checked bag: 16 in all. I passed on many others (but those mainly all had Wild Country). Most of what I got has Spicy and Tai Winds. Got back to the airport and found that 1 bottle had leaked slightly (I forgot to double check the caps when I packed), but none were broken. Score 1 for TSA and baggage handlers.

proxy.php

proxy.php

These are my favorite. The old school Spicy items are the bomb.
proxy.php

And check out the Paid Stamp, I've seen picturtes of it, but didn't realize it actually had a functional rubber stamp on it. Too Cool!
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom